Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

RORO car shipping UK to USA

RORO car shipping UK to USA

Old Oct 10th 2016, 1:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute
Default RORO car shipping UK to USA

Threads pop up once in a while regarding shipping cars to the USA here is a quote I was given to ship a Land Rover 110 from Southhampton Baltimore RORO.
Export clearance 25GBP
Documentation 25GBP
Terminal handling 50GBP
AMS fee 55GBP
Ocean freight 1048$
BAF 157$ (Bunker Adjustment Factor )

Customs clearance and bond charges in the USA around $500
The US currency is converted to pounds at the time of invoicing if not paid in the USA.
Old Oct 13th 2016, 1:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: RORO car shipping UK to USA

It is now " push on push off " the clutch just quit.

Costs another eighty quid
Old Oct 15th 2016, 12:09 am
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ottotheboar

I'd guffaw, only it would bring back painful memories....
Old Oct 15th 2016, 12:26 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ottotheboar

Being a Landrover, I assume you had budgeted for that though.
Old Oct 15th 2016, 12:29 am
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
One of mine had no engine, or brakes.
The other was driveable, but customs couldn't work out how to make it reverse, so they were carefully making sure they didn't park it against any forward obstacles.
Old Oct 15th 2016, 12:37 am
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steveq
The other was driveable, but customs couldn't work out how to make it reverse, so they were carefully making sure they didn't park it against any forward obstacles.
Perfectly driveable in all forward and reverse gears. I know because after filling it with tools, more tools, a spare engine, wheel etc. I drove it for the guys that picked it up in the UK so that it could be loaded to go to the docks. Dunno why the US chaps couldn't work out how to use a 2 foot long gear stick with the knob some where behind their left ear
Old Oct 15th 2016, 12:39 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steveq
You were allowed to import a vehicle without an engine? I had read that a vehicle needs to be near to "original condition", for it to pass US Customs inspection, and that includes engine, wheels, seat, etc.
Old Oct 15th 2016, 12:49 am
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

You were allowed to import a vehicle without an engine? I had read that a vehicle needs to be near to "original condition", for it to pass US Customs inspection, and that includes engine, wheels, seat, etc.
It had the correct engine and gear box in the back, just not fitted and operational. It is a landy after all
Old Oct 15th 2016, 5:29 am
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lizzyq
Dunno why the US chaps couldn't work out how to use a 2 foot long gear stick with the knob some where behind their left ear
Just the one? What has become of Landy's?

To be fair, most Brits would wonder why the heck there was a plethora of sticks in the IIa when I learnt to drive. It had a 'standard' gear stick, a separate one for high/low box, an overdrive stick and a 2/4wd stick...and you only had to knock one of them slightly to engage a false neutral. Then followed by a mad panic shoving sticks everywhere until the right combo achieved drive.😞
Old Oct 15th 2016, 12:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Clutch failure in a Defender is common, it may be a master or slave cylinder or the clutch pushrod has gone right through the operating arm, either way an easy fix.
Old Oct 15th 2016, 1:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

You can import a vehicle without the engine but it is classed as " an assemblage of parts " and can not be titled.
Personally I would not import a car with the correct engine in the back, I could see the wrong CBP officer on the day rejecting it. Once an officer has made a decision it is very difficult to get it overturned, there are lawyers who can petition for this but they are not cheap.
The two main points CBP looks for are the correct engine type and in Land Rovers the VIN numbers on the clutch housing and on the chassis must match.
They are not too picky on wheels seats etc however if the car is rejected on engine / VIN issues they can then include wheels seats etc in the rejection notice.
Old Nov 20th 2016, 12:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Picked it up, fees on this side were $700 includes duty, customs clearance, ISF filing, bond charges and a couple of other small items
Attached Thumbnails RORO car shipping UK to USA-img_1418.jpg  
Old Nov 22nd 2016, 4:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Harveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond repute

Good to know Otto, thanks. Will be looking to import my dads Ford Anglia sometime in the future.
Old Nov 23rd 2016, 7:14 am
BE Forum Addict

dj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zzrmark
Just the one? What has become of Landy's?

To be fair, most Brits would wonder why the heck there was a plethora of sticks in the IIa when I learnt to drive. It had a 'standard' gear stick, a separate one for high/low box, an overdrive stick and a 2/4wd stick...and you only had to knock one of them slightly to engage a false neutral. Then followed by a mad panic shoving sticks everywhere until the right combo achieved drive.😞

It was easy, push the yellow one forward, pull the red one up, shove the black one forward................or was it red forward, yellow up, black across.............lol

BTW any one ever have the gear level snap near the base? I did, solved by the multi purpose 'mole grips' as a gear stick!!
Old Nov 23rd 2016, 1:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dj6372
It was easy, push the yellow one forward, pull the red one up, shove the black one forward................or was it red forward, yellow up, black across.............lol

BTW any one ever have the gear level snap near the base? I did, solved by the multi purpose 'mole grips' as a gear stick!!
A Series box has much wider pattern than a Defender LT77 of R380 and is very easy to drive.
We have a Lightweight that a lot of children have learnt to drive in. In low range in is almost impossible to stall it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.