Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Resume and Interview Tips? Anyone?

Resume and Interview Tips? Anyone?

Old Sep 24th 2013, 6:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Resume and Interview Tips? Anyone?

I'm pissed off with recruiters right now.

I've been trying to get a new job for a while and getting no where. A couple of times recently I have responded to a job ad by a recruiter and actually got to talk to them. Oh they are so excited by my resume they are sure their client will want to talk to me. A couple of days later, no their client has decided they don't want to interview me after all.

Grrr.
Old Sep 25th 2013, 12:07 am
BE Enthusiast

NatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond repute

I think you may find that a lot of those vacancies don't actually exist and are just generic job specs put online by the agency to get people to send their resumes in.
Old Sep 25th 2013, 12:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NatashaB
I think you may find that a lot of those vacancies don't actually exist and are just generic job specs put online by the agency to get people to send their resumes in.
I know what you are saying but I'm pretty sure the last two were real vacancies.
Old Sep 25th 2013, 12:54 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NatashaB
I'm really bad at those type of questions... I'd love to know what they're looking to hear.
they want to hear what you actually did to get round the issue. Sit down with the person and broach the 'difficulty' without it becoming a problem? get to know them a bit better (social work event, to break the barriers)?, work around the difficulty by using other people or limiting contact with difficulty person to essential stuff? understand the other persons point of view and try and compromise? work with hr to get them training (if it was an employee struggling for example), get training yourself on asserting yourself/working with difficult people/negotiation/saying NO etc (clearly dependent on the issue you have)start a fistfight in the canteen? etc etc. what you might do would depend on the difficulty you are having and how often you need to work with them, if they were a peer, a manager or worked for you etc.

Last edited by MsElui; Sep 25th 2013 at 12:56 am.
Old Sep 25th 2013, 1:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles

I've been trying to get a new job for a while and getting no where. A couple of times recently I have responded to a job ad by a recruiter and actually got to talk to them. Oh they are so excited by my resume they are sure their client will want to talk to me. A couple of days later, no their client has decided they don't want to interview me after all.

Grrr.
It's not the recruiters who decide who gets interviewed. Besides the recruiter is there to serve the company, that's who pays them. They're not there to find an individual a job.
But I feel your pain....I've been through about 80 or 90 interviews the past 6 months before I found a good job.
Old Sep 25th 2013, 3:45 pm
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

Grrr.
Its bloody typical of US hiring habits.
They put on a circus act and expect you to be in fits of enthusiasm, then sweet F.A!

Recruiters and Personnel staff are just salesmen who cannot sell.
Old Sep 25th 2013, 3:51 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Have an interview with Walmart this afternoon - I'll let you know how it goes
Old Sep 26th 2013, 9:05 am
BE Forum Addict

hoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
Have an interview with Walmart this afternoon - I'll let you know how it goes
Good luck Civilservant!
Old Sep 26th 2013, 9:09 am
BE Forum Addict

hoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond repute

I am going to try and see the job hunt as an opportunity to try and reframe my career, so definitely willing to start at the start (as long as I can make a living wage at least!) ...

As I have a lot of education admin experience and a fair bit of journalism experience, I have been trying to draw what my strengths are from this, to possibly create a value-added/skills based resume that I can use for positions that are related; so things like Marketing Assistant for example, or a Social Media assistant would be something that I think I could do well; or a press officer position for example. If I can get more regular media work, that would be my ideal, but I'm not counting my chickens too much on that, as I will have to build networks quite extensively first.
Old Sep 26th 2013, 10:11 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hoffage123
Good luck Civilservant!
2nd interview with the Store Manager today. Guess that's a good sign
Old Sep 26th 2013, 6:06 pm
Often not so civil...

Well I've got a job (subject to background/drug checks) - not bad for only 3 days after getting my SSN

Just got back from the hospital to give a sample, that was something I've never done before. Still I'm not that way inclined so no worries there.

As for the interview, it was a typical competency based one that I've done a hundred times (given and taken) over in the UK, there was little difference. At the end there was a long chat about the differences between the UK/US, specifically Trade Union movements, but that was all.

One thing I did think was odd was that he praised my appearance, a simple shirt/tie affair. Apparently people don't turn up for interviews dressed well over here

Last edited by civilservant; Sep 26th 2013 at 6:14 pm. Reason: NOT that way inclined....
Old Sep 26th 2013, 6:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by civilservant
Well I've got a job (subject to background/drug checks) - not bad for only 3 days after getting my SSN

Just got back from the hospital to give a sample, that was something I've never done before. Still I'm that way inclined so no worries there.

As for the interview, it was a typical competency based one that I've done a hundred times (given and taken) over in the UK, there was little difference. At the end there was a long chat about the differences between the UK/US, specifically Trade Union movements, but that was all.
High five! I'm jealous, even if it was for Walmart.
Old Sep 26th 2013, 6:10 pm
Often not so civil...

High five! I'm jealous, even if it was for Walmart.
Thanks

Got to start somewhere! As my mum always says, it's easier to get a job if you have a job (and in this case any work history in the US at all)
Old Sep 26th 2013, 6:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Well done!
Old Sep 26th 2013, 6:13 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats Civilservant! You're right, it's a jumping-off point. Don't take any metabolic by-products off people

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.