Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Reporting British Pension Income to the IRS

Reporting British Pension Income to the IRS

Old Jan 18th 2017, 9:15 pm
in Northern California

malch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Reporting British Pension Income to the IRS

At the risk of opening a huge can of worms, I have quite a few questions for those who have been reporting British pension income to the IRS for the past few years.

To further complicate matters, I have (or will have) several different types of pension income:

1. UK State pension
2. A defined-benefit occupational pension
3. A private draw-down pension plan (converted from Free Standing AVC's).

1. How do you report the income? Create a substitute 1099-R or something else?

2. What exchange rate do you use? I'm assuming the the current spot rate for lump sum distributions and the published Treasury annual rate for regular monthly payouts.

3. With respect to the private draw down pension... I can establish a hard cost basis since I have documentation to cover my initial investment (two lump sun contributions and 18 months of monthly contributions). Can I use this cost basis to reduce my tax liability on 2016/future withdrawals and if so how? And what exchange rate to use for that cost basis?
Old Jan 18th 2017, 9:45 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Reporting British Pension Income to the IRS

1) Line 16 on the 1040. I don't send any forms but keep a record of what I have been paid in case of an audit.

2) The average yearly exchange rate as reported by the IRS. (2016 hasn't been published yet) https://www.irs.gov/individuals/inte...exchange-rates
Old Jan 18th 2017, 10:32 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
1) Line 16 on the 1040. I don't send any forms but keep a record of what I have been paid in case of an audit.

2) The average yearly exchange rate as reported by the IRS. (2016 hasn't been published yet) https://www.irs.gov/individuals/inte...exchange-rates
Yes. Probably no need for the 4852.

I assume you have filed your US-Individual 2002 so that no UK tax is withheld at source.

If you contributed to a non-qualified annuity or pension with already taxed money then you should calculate the taxable basis using the General Method

https://www.irs.gov/publications/p939/ar02.html

Last edited by nun; Jan 18th 2017 at 10:45 pm.
Old Jan 18th 2017, 11:03 pm
in Northern California

malch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
Yes. Probably no need for the 4852.

I assume you have filed your US-Individual 2002 so that no UK tax is withheld at source.

If you contributed to a non-qualified annuity or pension with already taxed money then you should calculate the taxable basis using the General Method

https://www.irs.gov/publications/p939/ar02.html
Thanks guys. Looks like TurboTax won't let me directly enter a figure on Line 16 of the 1040 -- takes me to a 1099-R :-(

Yes, I have taken care of the 2002 and all that jazz.

Thanks for the "General Method" pointer. I'll have to study and digest that.
Old Jan 18th 2017, 11:23 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury

My accountant enters it on line 21 with the notation UK pension.
Old Jan 19th 2017, 1:03 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
My accountant enters it on line 21 with the notation UK pension.
Yes that is another way of doing it. Posters in the past have said they either use line 16 or 21 and I don't recall anyone saying either has caused them problems.
Old Jan 19th 2017, 8:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Cook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond repute

The drawdown plan sounds close to a foreign grantor trust requiring 3520s and 3520-As each year. Whether or not you want to file these you'll be entering the plan on your FBAR & 8938 in any case.