Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Renting soon after arriving

Renting soon after arriving

Old Jul 24th 2016, 2:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renting soon after arriving

Originally Posted by sherbert
In a market where people are begging you to let them rent your crappy studio for 2000 a month anything goes.
Landlords try all sorts of things until they get caught.

It does appear that the laws in California are not as anti Landlord as in Oregon. From what I could see, you do not have to supply rental criteria up front in Cali.In Oregon you have to rent to the successful applicant, you cannot pick and choose.

This is a useful site for anyone wanting to rent in Cali.

California Tenants - California Department of Consumer Affairs
Old Jul 25th 2016, 11:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

sherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renting soon after arriving

We are talking about the most over-inflated and over-subscribed rental market in the country. Private landlords can pick and choose who they want in their properties and charge what they like because no one is going to accept a sob story from someone who is earning 200,000 a year whining that their landlord made them pay a 5 grand security deposit. And when you've got no credit history and no rental history and you *need* a place to live, you simply do not have the ability to pick and choose who you rent from. I'm not saying it's right, I'm just saying this is the reality of living in the Bay Area.