Reload this Page >

Renewing UK passport from USA as naturalised US citizen

Renewing UK passport from USA as naturalised US citizen

Old Nov 8th 2016, 3:43 pm
Just Joined

IMWNYC is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Renewing UK passport from USA as naturalised US citizen

Hello,

I have seen a few threads on how to renew a UK passport from the USA as a naturailsed citizen which is my situation). My UK passport expires Dec 21 2016 and I am going back to the UK Dec 17 for 10 days.

I was looking to use the mailing process initially from the USA , but I notice there is a 1 day premium service in the UK which I thought I could use whilst there.

I see I have to bring a completed Passport application form ( from the post office) and 2 photos etc.. But my concern is that in section 3 of the passport application form , it asks for any other passports I hold. I would obviously put my USA passport number and info. In Section 2 the form asks for my UK address ( I use my moms for any UK correspondence).

So I would like to know if anyone thinks there could be a problem with the 1 day process when they see I have a USA passport as well as a UK one and I am only giving a UK address, as that's all the form asks for. Would the 1 day people need any USA info, address etc.. from me as well ?

I ask as the overseas application asks for USA address/USA contact details to check you live there , and I wondered if the 1 day service would ask for more info on my USA address or they might not be able to perform the UK passport renewal ??
Thanks in advance.
Iain.
Old Nov 8th 2016, 4:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renewing UK passport from USA as naturalised US citizen

Just use your US passport.
Old Nov 8th 2016, 4:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IMWNYC
Hello,

I have seen a few threads on how to renew a UK passport from the USA as a naturailsed citizen which is my situation). My UK passport expires Dec 21 2016 and I am going back to the UK Dec 17 for 10 days.

I was looking to use the mailing process initially from the USA , but I notice there is a 1 day premium service in the UK which I thought I could use whilst there.

I see I have to bring a completed Passport application form ( from the post office) and 2 photos etc.. But my concern is that in section 3 of the passport application form , it asks for any other passports I hold. I would obviously put my USA passport number and info. In Section 2 the form asks for my UK address ( I use my moms for any UK correspondence).

So I would like to know if anyone thinks there could be a problem with the 1 day process when they see I have a USA passport as well as a UK one and I am only giving a UK address, as that's all the form asks for. Would the 1 day people need any USA info, address etc.. from me as well ?

I ask as the overseas application asks for USA address/USA contact details to check you live there , and I wondered if the 1 day service would ask for more info on my USA address or they might not be able to perform the UK passport renewal ??
Thanks in advance.
Iain.
You are making it far too complicated. Apply from here:
https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports

Being naturalised makes no real difference to the process. In another thread someone said that they recently has a one-week turn around.
Old Nov 8th 2016, 5:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic
You are making it far too complicated. Apply from here:
https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports

Being naturalised makes no real difference to the process. In another thread someone said that they recently has a one-week turn around.
When I renewed 10 days from sending from west coast to receipt of my new passport. Don't overthink it and just make the copies (normal color photocopies) they require of your US passport. If your reticence is any way related to you not wanting to disclose another countries passport. As you have correctly deduced they have that issue sewn up - so no advantage in applying from the UK v's the US. Anyway anyone who seriously thinks that they are evading passport controls and flying Internationally is likely deluded. I'm sure they know who has what
Old Nov 8th 2016, 6:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vikingsail
When I renewed 10 days from sending from west coast to receipt of my new passport.
My new UK passport arrived last week, exactly two weeks after I sent the application in from San Francisco.
Old Nov 8th 2016, 6:30 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I sent my PP by overnight delivery at the end of last year....got it back in 6 days.
Old Nov 8th 2016, 7:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

AlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond repute

As mentioned in a separate thread. I sent mine in (delivered last Thursday), and it will be delivered tomorrow morning. (Also a 6 day turnaround).
Old Nov 8th 2016, 7:39 pm
Just Joined

Thx, and no I definitely don't want to hide anything from the authorities, I just wondered if using the 1 day premium processing they don't have enough time or understanding to handle the USA passport as well and if they might want additional USA identification to prove I am actually living there ( and i only have a week in the UK). I was initially concerned about applying from here in NYC as i heard it can take months to get new UK passport back , but I think it is probably the best route to follow. thanks
Old Nov 8th 2016, 8:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute

Thx, and no I definitely don't want to hide anything from the authorities, I just wondered if using the 1 day premium processing they don't have enough time or understanding to handle the USA passport as well and if they might want additional USA identification to prove I am actually living there ( and i only have a week in the UK). I was initially concerned about applying from here in NYC as i heard it can take months to get new UK passport back , but I think it is probably the best route to follow. thanks
I thought as much. My commentary was really more for those who are 'on the fence' re disclosure. I know I initially went back and forth as I have a rebellious streak! But upon seeing sense was pleasantly surprised by the fast turnaround. Best wishes with your endeavour and trip.
Old Nov 8th 2016, 9:36 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Just renew from the US. If your replacement doesn't arrive in time you can travel to the UK on your US passport.
Old Nov 11th 2016, 10:39 pm
Just Joined

Thanks to everyone for your advice, one last question , what is the delivery method you used to send all the info ( passport etc..) to the UK. I was going to use a FEDEX package requiring signature. thx Iain.
Old Nov 12th 2016, 12:33 am
Forum Regular

jkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond repute

I used UPS worldwide express saver. Mailed from a UPS store in Texas on Wed, signed for in Durham on Fri. Fully trackable and $59.92.
Old Nov 12th 2016, 4:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks to everyone for your advice, one last question , what is the delivery method you used to send all the info ( passport etc..) to the UK. I was going to use a FEDEX package requiring signature. thx Iain.
My wife used USPS Priority Mail International.
Old Nov 12th 2016, 4:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Just renew from the US. If your replacement doesn't arrive in time you can travel to the UK on your US passport.
This!
Old Nov 13th 2016, 10:46 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Bit late to the party here, but just wanted to add that my last UK PP renewal (approx. 4 years ago) was done in London using the same-day service while I was over on a business trip. It was simple, quick and the fact that I happened to live in the US seemed to make no difference at all to the process. And I got to go to the pub while I waited.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.