Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Renewing UK drivers license.

Renewing UK drivers license.

Old Sep 24th 2011, 3:03 pm
Honorary Texan

tom_1984 is a name known to alltom_1984 is a name known to alltom_1984 is a name known to alltom_1984 is a name known to alltom_1984 is a name known to alltom_1984 is a name known to alltom_1984 is a name known to alltom_1984 is a name known to alltom_1984 is a name known to alltom_1984 is a name known to alltom_1984 is a name known to all
Default Renewing UK drivers license.

Hi all,

I'm sure this has been brought up many times before, but I just noticed my UK drivers license expired and I need to renew the photo. Can't do it online because my passport needs to have been issued in the last 5 yrs and mine was issued in 2004 (I look rather young in the picture!). Not really urgent since I have Texas license, but would like to get the thing renewed as its handy when I visit back home!

Anyone know how to get hold of the D798 form so I can print it and mail it off? Can't find it on the DirectGov website.

Any advice or links appreciated!!

Oh, also, do you guys think I should put my Texas address on it, or stick with my parents UK address?
Old Sep 24th 2011, 3:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

helwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renewing UK drivers license.

This should be good.......
Old Sep 24th 2011, 3:40 pm
Yes, I know i'm awesome.

ljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tom_1984
Hi all,
Oh, also, do you guys think I should put my Texas address on it, or stick with my parents UK address?
You can only have a UK address on it. Get a relative in the UK to send you the form.
Old Sep 24th 2011, 5:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Your Texas license is your current license. You cannot renew your UK license while not resident in the UK. When/if you return to the UK you can then apply for a new photo card.
Old Sep 24th 2011, 6:11 pm
Yes, I know i'm awesome.

ljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Your Texas license is your current license. You cannot renew your UK license while not resident in the UK. When/if you return to the UK you can then apply for a new photo card.
Of course you can renew it, if you want to keep a current UK license then there is nothing to stop you. Mine is registered at my sisters address in Hampshire.

Who gives a flying f**k about the DVLA or their rules? Not me!
Old Sep 24th 2011, 6:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ljaw2002uk
Of course you can renew it, if you want to keep a current UK license then there is nothing to stop you. Mine is registered at my sisters address in Hampshire.

The insurance company might.
Old Sep 24th 2011, 7:55 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Depending on what the form said, you may have made a false declaration about where you are living. Leaving aside any prosecution or insurance issues, I assume you wish to be treated as non-resident and ultimately non-domiciled as far as UK income and inheritance taxes are concerned.

If that is the case, declaring to a branch of the government that you still live in GB may not be such a good idea.
Old Sep 24th 2011, 8:34 pm
Yes, I know i'm awesome.

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
The insurance company might.
What insurance company is going to know or care if I maintain a GB license. I respectfully disagree that it is relevant in any way.
Old Sep 24th 2011, 8:37 pm
Yes, I know i'm awesome.

Originally Posted by JAJ
Depending on what the form said, you may have made a false declaration about where you are living. Leaving aside any prosecution or insurance issues, I assume you wish to be treated as non-resident and ultimately non-domiciled as far as UK income and inheritance taxes are concerned.

If that is the case, declaring to a branch of the government that you still live in GB may not be such a good idea.
I don't see any connection between the DVLA and any tax implications. I really think everyone is going too deep on this one.

I see your logic, and you make good points, but in reality I don't think it affects anything if you maintain your license. I intend to continue to do so without any worries whatsoever.
Old Sep 24th 2011, 10:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

dfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond repute

I don't see any connection between the DVLA and any tax implications. I really think everyone is going too deep on this one.

I see your logic, and you make good points, but in reality I don't think it affects anything if you maintain your license. I intend to continue to do so without any worries whatsoever.
Ignorance is bliss!
Old Sep 24th 2011, 11:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helwardman
This should be good.......
Old Sep 25th 2011, 1:14 am
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Respectfully, you're an idiot.
Old Sep 25th 2011, 1:17 am
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tom_1984
I'm sure this has been brought up many times before, but I just noticed my UK drivers license expired and I need to renew the photo.
You don't 'need' to do any such thing.

Any UK license is invalid for driving in the UK anyway since you aren't resident in the UK (your UK citizenship status is irrelevant for the purposes of the questions you are asking).

Just use your TX license when visiting the UK to avoid any licensing/insurance (or lack of) issues. If and when you return to the UK to live, worry about your UK license at that point - and you won't even need to retake the test then anyway.
Old Sep 25th 2011, 11:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Renewing UK drivers license.

If the address you use is not your permenant address then you can be fined and there used to be a prison option as well. The fine used to be £1000 (or maybe £10000, can't recall) and its quite easy for the DVLA to check council tax records to see the people who are listed as living at an address which I believe they do periodically and randomly. Theoretically it has the potential to cause issues in the UK and the US regarding visa/free-card renewals and greencard/citizenship application. What are the chances? Probably remote but the more computer systems that exchange info are used the greater the risk. Kind if a weird thing to do really since there really is no benefit to having a UK license in the US and you can renew it easily if you ever move back.
Old Sep 25th 2011, 12:28 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

No you can't.

This is straight from the horse's mouth so to speak.

'I am sorry but it is not possible for an individual who is a UK citizen but is nor longer resident in the UK to apply for a further driving licence.

Changes to British legislation resulting in the implementation of the Second EC Directive on Driving Licences (91/439/EEC) since 1 January 1997, have required that driving licences are granted only to drivers who are resident in this country.

Do not reply to this email. If you wish to contact us again about this response then please use our Reply Form or copy and paste the following URL in to your browser:

https://emaildvla.direct.gov.uk/emai...m_drivers.html'

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.