Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Renewing British Passport from the USA

Renewing British Passport from the USA

Old Dec 21st 2016, 4:20 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renewing British Passport from the USA

Originally Posted by Karlosthecackle
If you renew from the US, they send your old passport back right? My L1 visa is in my old passport... or do you have to get the visa transferred?
They will send back your old passport. Visas are not transferrable... so in the future, you'll carry both passports: one valid for travel, the other with the valid visa.

Ian
Old Feb 18th 2017, 7:30 pm
Just Joined

amydls is an unknown quantity at this point

I just got my passport photos done at Walgreens, they came 2 photos on one big sheet as they said they do not have the machine to make them the correct size, can I send these whole sheet or do I need to cut the photos into 2 ?
Old Feb 20th 2017, 3:28 am
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amydls
I just got my passport photos done at Walgreens, they came 2 photos on one big sheet as they said they do not have the machine to make them the correct size, can I send these whole sheet or do I need to cut the photos into 2 ?
I did mine a few weeks ago at Walgreens, and sent in the whole sheet untrimmed. Worked fine, and I got the passports 10 days after mailing the package.
Old Feb 20th 2017, 4:53 am
Just Joined

amydls is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kodokan
I did mine a few weeks ago at Walgreens, and sent in the whole sheet untrimmed. Worked fine, and I got the passports 10 days after mailing the package.
Out of interest, how did you send them ? USPS doesn't seem to have an international tracking option and FedEx/ups are quoting me $120
Old Feb 20th 2017, 6:06 am
Forum Regular

jkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond repute

This is what I used 3 years ago, about $60 from Texas to Durham. I just went to a UPS store.

https://www.ups.com/content/ca/en/sh...ess_saver.html
Old Feb 20th 2017, 11:37 am
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Out of interest, how did you send them ? USPS doesn't seem to have an international tracking option and FedEx/ups are quoting me $120
USPS Flat Rate Envelopes track the whole way. I used it and it was fine.
Old Feb 20th 2017, 12:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

UPS store, using their 'international, tracked and signed for' service. It was around $70.
Old Feb 21st 2017, 2:06 am
Just Joined

PaulineMurray is an unknown quantity at this point

I sent by sons renewal application on the 4th of Feb via FedEx priority envelope which cost me $60 and had the new passport returned to me by the 13th. I was totally flabbergasted!!,
Old Feb 21st 2017, 3:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

USPS does have tracking option, but only highest level of service category seems to have guaranteed dates that are kept on other end- that category in conjunction with FedExpres. The lower categories very good at tracking until leaves US, but then at mercy of post office on other end which sometimes reports back tracking data late.

Having said that, my best experience has always been DHL. But for cost savings top category at USPS I have never had problems with.
Old Feb 24th 2017, 1:12 pm
Forum Regular

Britexmom has a reputation beyond reputeBritexmom has a reputation beyond reputeBritexmom has a reputation beyond reputeBritexmom has a reputation beyond reputeBritexmom has a reputation beyond reputeBritexmom has a reputation beyond reputeBritexmom has a reputation beyond reputeBritexmom has a reputation beyond reputeBritexmom has a reputation beyond reputeBritexmom has a reputation beyond reputeBritexmom has a reputation beyond repute

Quick question, when your passport was sent from Durham did you receive tracking ? If so was it sent by email or did you find it on the gov.uk site ?
My application is showing that is has been dispatched but I don't see anywhere to get tracking info. I had sent it in using usps which took 5 days to arrive ( counting a Sunday as one day) . Trying to figure out when to expect it to show up in Texas, knowing that I have to sign for it I don't want to miss the courier.
Old Feb 24th 2017, 1:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Britexmom
Quick question, when your passport was sent from Durham did you receive tracking ? If so was it sent by email or did you find it on the gov.uk site ?
My application is showing that is has been dispatched but I don't see anywhere to get tracking info. I had sent it in using usps which took 5 days to arrive ( counting a Sunday as one day) . Trying to figure out when to expect it to show up in Texas, knowing that I have to sign for it I don't want to miss the courier.
Yes, I was able to track it, but sorry, I can't remember how I found the link to do so. It must have been via the website as I've just done an email search and can't find anything they sent me other than the initial emails when I first made the application. It came via DHL, as four separate packages (old and new passports, x2) but all arrived together. I also received a text from DHL on the delivery day asking if I wanted to give permission for the courier to just leave them without a signature.
Old Feb 24th 2017, 1:33 pm
Just Joined

PaulineMurray is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kodokan
Yes, I was able to track it, but sorry, I can't remember how I found the link to do so. It must have been via the website as I've just done an email search and can't find anything they sent me other than the initial emails when I first made the application. It came via DHL, as four separate packages (old and new passports, x2) but all arrived together. I also received a text from DHL on the delivery day asking if I wanted to give permission for the courier to just leave them without a signature.
I received the tracking info from DHL and then another email to advise that it was put for delivery on the day that it arrived. Our new passport came first then the old one didn't arrive for another 10 days at it got delayed by customs. This was no trouble for us as we didn't require it as we have green cards but could be an issue if you need the old one to travel with the visa inside it.
Old Feb 24th 2017, 1:33 pm
Forum Regular

jkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond repute

I got a text message from DHL. It was all ready on the plane half way across the across the Atlantic when I got the text. DHL courier showed up at my door the next morning about 10.30. I used flight aware to track the airplane. As I recall, it went from Durham to Heathrow by royal mail, then to a DHL substation nearby, then by DHL truck to East Midlands airport, then plane to DHL's hub in Cincinnati.

Here was yesterdays flight...

DHL Air Ltd #972 ✈ 23-Feb-2017 ✈ EMA / EGNX - KCVG ✈ FlightAware
Old Feb 24th 2017, 1:50 pm
Forum Regular

Britexmom has a reputation beyond reputeBritexmom has a reputation beyond reputeBritexmom has a reputation beyond reputeBritexmom has a reputation beyond reputeBritexmom has a reputation beyond reputeBritexmom has a reputation beyond reputeBritexmom has a reputation beyond reputeBritexmom has a reputation beyond reputeBritexmom has a reputation beyond reputeBritexmom has a reputation beyond reputeBritexmom has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for the replies, hopefully I will receive a text or email in the next day or so.
This is my first time renewing since the change of having to mail back to the U.K...my previous renewals were done in Düsseldorf and then Atlanta.
I have my green card so no worries about a visa, but I did have to send in my full BC and two marriage licenses along with a divorce decree to make a name change so will be anxious to get those back .
Old Feb 27th 2017, 11:40 pm
Forum Regular

New passport was delivered today, 12 days since I mailed it here in Texas. I was very happy with the quick turnaround. Dhl texted me 5 minutes before they knocked on my front door, hoping the documents package shows up tomorrow.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.