Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Renew UK Driver's License overseas

Renew UK Driver's License overseas

Old Dec 20th 2012, 6:32 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renew UK Driver's License overseas

Originally Posted by Bob
So what have you been using for ID if you haven't gotten a US license yet?
Maybe he just has a State ID. My husband has been in the USA for more than 8 years and never got a US drivers license, because he hasn't yet had the need to drive. He has an Arizona State ID to use for ID purposes.

Rene
Old Dec 20th 2012, 7:33 pm
Account Closed

Uncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
You get a ticket.
I've never had a ticket, either in the UK or USA.
If caught in either country and you a have licence for the other can they come after you with points on license or fines?
Old Dec 20th 2012, 7:39 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Uncle_Bob
If caught in either country and you a have licence for the other can they come after you with points on license or fines?
I've heard they bill the car rental company...assuming you are using a rental car. The rental company have your credit card details...it will then show up on your next statement. They can only put points on your UK license. Now whether you should declare it to your US insurance company is another question.
Old Dec 20th 2012, 7:58 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by redarmy990
his uk license maybe
Been about as much use as toothbrush to a hillbilly around here....
Old Dec 20th 2012, 7:59 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Maybe he just has a State ID. My husband has been in the USA for more than 8 years and never got a US drivers license, because he hasn't yet had the need to drive. He has an Arizona State ID to use for ID purposes.

Rene
See my previous post
Old Dec 20th 2012, 8:12 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
See my previous post
What, about a State ID being useless? Sadegh has found it very useful. That's all he uses for ID purposes, never had a problem with it in 8 years.

Rene
Old Dec 20th 2012, 11:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by MrBond007
If that is the case then I will eventually have to get my US licence and use that for my trips to Europe. It would be a lot easier to use the UK one but if they changed the law then there isn't much I can do really.
I just had to go back to the UK last month and my UK drivers license has expired also. I rented a car using my US license, no problem at all. I don't think having a UK license would have made it any easier.

In most cases a US (car) license is extremely easy to get compared to the UK one. I'd just bite the bullet if I were you, but then again I live in a part of the country where you are royally stuffed without a license.
Old Dec 21st 2012, 12:42 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Noorah101
What, about a State ID being useless? Sadegh has found it very useful. That's all he uses for ID purposes, never had a problem with it in 8 years.

Rene
The missus has one. Even though it's meant to be accepted as ID, it's only ever not been a problem in one off license and one restaurant and it's not valid as ID as a driving license is in other states, well any of the neighbouring ones at least for us.
Old Dec 21st 2012, 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by Bob
The missus has one. Even though it's meant to be accepted as ID, it's only ever not been a problem in one off license and one restaurant and it's not valid as ID as a driving license is in other states, well any of the neighbouring ones at least for us.
Interesting. S has never, ever had a problem using his AZ State ID in either AZ or CA, for any purpose. The only thing he can't do is drive using it.
Old Dec 23rd 2012, 7:35 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Uncle_Bob
The comment about charging the rental car company is correct, if it is a speed camera ticket. Had that happen to me.

The US has a driver licence compact, so if you get a ticket in State A then the points are applied to your licence in State B - however it doesn't apply to other countries. Some countries do have laws whereby they apply points internationally but the US is not one of them, they tried to do it with Canada a few years ago but they were paranoid about private information of Americans being available to Canadians so it didn't happen. However you certainly have to pay the fines (although I doubt they'll extradite you, but in Montana they charge you on the spot). Obviously if it is a serious offence, you're going to prison, regardless of your licence.

I never really understand why people want to hold onto the licence from wherever they came from, there's no advantage to it I can discern. All it does is create confusion. Also it might be illegal, I doubt US jurisdictions care much because they don't have agreements with foreign jurisdictions but several Canadian provinces do, every single bit of paper you get with your DL and in the manual in Alberta has a warning telling you that holding a licence from another jurisdiction is illegal. Also illegal in BC, but Saskatchewan doesn't care. Ontario is okay with licences from outside N America, but you can't legally hold an Ontario and US licence simultaneously.
Old Dec 23rd 2012, 8:30 am
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
... but you can't legally hold an Ontario and US licence simultaneously.
How weird. Given that you can most certainly be ordinarily and permanently resident and own homes in both places. Are you supposed to change between license and licence every few months depending on your recent travel patterns?

Unlike Florida, a lot of places simply don't recognise, provide for, or even understand seasonal residence. Britain being an obvious example that comes to mind.
Old Dec 23rd 2012, 12:11 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by holly_1948
How weird. Given that you can most certainly be ordinarily and permanently resident and own homes in both places. Are you supposed to change between license and licence every few months depending on your recent travel patterns?

Unlike Florida, a lot of places simply don't recognise, provide for, or even understand seasonal residence. Britain being an obvious example that comes to mind.
Ontario does not allow their residents to hold more than one licence. My daughter had to hand in her NJ DL in order to obtain a DL in Ontario,
Old Dec 23rd 2012, 2:19 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Ontario does not allow their residents to hold more than one licence. My daughter had to hand in her NJ DL in order to obtain a DL in Ontario,
Certainly with a UK license that does not influence the validity.
Old Dec 23rd 2012, 2:20 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by holly_1948

I know a lot of people who spend the summer in one place, the winter in another, they effectively choose.

Now if you keep moving State to State yes.
Old Dec 27th 2012, 7:33 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrBond007
Hello, I am currently residing in the US. I have a UK driver's license that is to expire in 6 months. I want to know the best way of renewing it without being fined or it looking too suspicious.

I have heard that as soon as you stop residing in the UK, your drivers license becomes invalid. But what happens if I want to go on vacation to Europe and rent a car, would my UK driver's license be void in the EU as well? My paper counterpart is valid until my 70th birthday before I have to renew it so can I use that instead.

I am really confused on what to do and I haven't applied for a US drivers license yet so that is not an option. Or do I get my family to renew it for me online then send it to me overseas?

Thanks.
I never seen anything that suggests your license becomes invalid just because you move outside GB. However, there's also nothing that says you can keep using it and in particular, if you no longer have a GB address:

- You cannot renew your licence/photocard; and
- You cannot put a non-GB address on the license; and
- Since you are no longer living at the address shown on the license, and in the absence of clear information showing it's continued validity, it is risky to use it in a third country. If they don't accept it as a valid license, you will have a significant problem.

In addition, your U.S. state of residence will not let you use a foreign license indefinitely. You are probably already over the limit to use a foreign license in your state. Check with the local state registry.

In short, once you no longer live in GB, a GB license is not easy to use and you should normally obtain a local license, keeping a copy of your GB license if you return to the United Kingdom later on.

Do not use a false GB address to renew the license. Not only may you be committing an offence, but renewing a GB licence can be an indication of keeping U.K. tax residence/domicile which normally you don't want.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.