Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Renew UK Driver's License overseas

Renew UK Driver's License overseas

Old Dec 19th 2012, 3:09 am
Just Joined

MrBond007 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Renew UK Driver's License overseas

Hello, I am currently residing in the US. I have a UK driver's license that is to expire in 6 months. I want to know the best way of renewing it without being fined or it looking too suspicious.

I have heard that as soon as you stop residing in the UK, your drivers license becomes invalid. But what happens if I want to go on vacation to Europe and rent a car, would my UK driver's license be void in the EU as well? My paper counterpart is valid until my 70th birthday before I have to renew it so can I use that instead.

I am really confused on what to do and I haven't applied for a US drivers license yet so that is not an option. Or do I get my family to renew it for me online then send it to me overseas?

Thanks.
Old Dec 19th 2012, 3:10 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renew UK Driver's License overseas

Originally Posted by MrBond007
Hello, I am currently residing in the US. I have a UK driver's license that is to expire in 6 months. I want to know the best way of renewing it without being fined or it looking too suspicious.

I have heard that as soon as no longer reside in the UK, your drivers license becomes invalid. But what happens if I want to go on vacation to Europe and rent a car, would my UK driver's license be void in the EU as well? My paper counterpart is valid until my 70th birthday before I have to renew it so can I use that instead.

I am really confused on what to do and I haven't applied for a US drivers license yet so that is not an option. Or do I get my family to renew it for me then send it to me overseas?

Thanks.
You cannot renew it...as a non UK resident it is against the law. Once it has expired it is no longer valid...anywhere.

Why haven't you obtained a US DL?
Old Dec 19th 2012, 3:16 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Odd, most States do not give residents very long to get a US DL and driving is more an issue here.
Old Dec 19th 2012, 3:25 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
You cannot renew it...as a non UK resident it is against the law. Once it has expired it is no longer valid...anywhere.

Why haven't you obtained a US DL?
Hello Jerseygirl, thanks for the quick response.

I am living in the city and don't need a car for work or travel so I haven't applied.

You would think your UK drivers license would be attached to your passport. It sort of is because you can renew your license online and they will use your bio-metric chip passport photo and signature for it. My UK passport allows me to live and work in the EU and I can renew it anywhere in the world so why can't I do the same with my drivers license. UK and EU drivers licenses are very unique and so should the procedures and laws. I personally think passports and drivers license should go where ever the person it belongs to goes. The exception would only come when you have to trade it in for a different countries license.

What about the paper counterpart? Does that have any use in terms of allowing me to drive in the EU?
Old Dec 19th 2012, 3:28 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Jerseygirl, thanks for the quick response.

I am living in the city and don't need a car for work or travel so I haven't applied.

You would think your UK drivers license would be attached to your passport. It sort of is because you can renew your license online and they will use your bio-metric chip passport photo and signature for it. My UK passport allows me to live and work in the EU and I can renew it anywhere in the world so why can't I do the same with my drivers license. UK and EU drivers licenses are very unique and so should the procedures and laws. I personally think passports and drivers license should go where ever the person it belongs to goes. The exception would only come when you have to trade it in for a different countries license.

What about the paper counterpart? Does that have any use in terms of allowing me to drive in the EU?
No...when your DL has expired it is no longer valid. There was a ruling a few years ago preventing non UK residents renewing their DLs. Best to get a US DL...even if you don't drive here.

Edit: The following is an email reply to me from the DVLA.

I am sorry but it is not possible for an individual who is a UK citizen but is nor longer resident in the UK to apply for a further driving licence.

Changes to British legislation resulting in the implementation of the Second EC Directive on Driving Licences (91/439/EEC) since 1 January 1997, have required that driving licences are granted only to drivers who are resident in this country.

Do not reply to this email. If you wish to contact us again about this response then please use our Reply Form or copy and paste the following URL in to your browser:

https://emaildvla.direct.gov.uk/emai...m_drivers.html

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Dec 19th 2012 at 3:32 am.
Old Dec 19th 2012, 3:39 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
No...when your DL has expired it is no longer valid. There was a ruling a few years ago preventing non UK residents renewing their DLs. Best to get a US DL...even if you don't drive here.

Edit: The following is an email reply to me from the DVLA.

I am sorry but it is not possible for an individual who is a UK citizen but is nor longer resident in the UK to apply for a further driving licence.

Changes to British legislation resulting in the implementation of the Second EC Directive on Driving Licences (91/439/EEC) since 1 January 1997, have required that driving licences are granted only to drivers who are resident in this country.

Do not reply to this email. If you wish to contact us again about this response then please use our Reply Form or copy and paste the following URL in to your browser:

https://emaildvla.direct.gov.uk/emai...m_drivers.html

If that is the case then I will eventually have to get my US licence and use that for my trips to Europe. It would be a lot easier to use the UK one but if they changed the law then there isn't much I can do really.

Thanks for the email quote from the DVLA and the sound advice with my UK licence issues.
Old Dec 19th 2012, 11:23 am
SUPER MODERATOR

If that is the case then I will eventually have to get my US licence and use that for my trips to Europe. It would be a lot easier to use the UK one but if they changed the law then there isn't much I can do really.

Thanks for the email quote from the DVLA and the sound advice with my UK licence issues.
Good luck.
Old Dec 19th 2012, 5:29 pm
Forum Regular

london66 has a reputation beyond reputelondon66 has a reputation beyond reputelondon66 has a reputation beyond reputelondon66 has a reputation beyond reputelondon66 has a reputation beyond reputelondon66 has a reputation beyond reputelondon66 has a reputation beyond reputelondon66 has a reputation beyond reputelondon66 has a reputation beyond reputelondon66 has a reputation beyond reputelondon66 has a reputation beyond repute

Actually its very easy to use a US licence, you just hand it over for inspection when you pick the hire car up - the same thing you do with a UK licence, I've been doing it for over 10 years now no questions asked.

Brendan
Old Dec 19th 2012, 6:02 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by london66
Actually its very easy to use a US licence, you just hand it over for inspection when you pick the hire car up - the same thing you do with a UK licence, I've been doing it for over 10 years now no questions asked.

Brendan
Learned to drive in the UK that way The Avis staff at Aberdeen Airport did not seem to be terribly concerned that I had never driven on the left before, ha. Now I prefer it. But yes, they won't bat an eyelid at your US license.
Old Dec 19th 2012, 6:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

No, it's virtually useless on its own.
Old Dec 20th 2012, 12:32 am
Wolf In Sheeps Clothing

Sheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by london66

Brendan
The only thing I've ever been asked was if I could use a stick!
Old Dec 20th 2012, 4:20 pm
Account Closed

Uncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond repute

How does things work regarding getting caught speeding. Either by camera or by getting pulled over?
Old Dec 20th 2012, 4:38 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

You get a ticket.
Old Dec 20th 2012, 6:15 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

So what have you been using for ID if you haven't gotten a US license yet?
Old Dec 20th 2012, 6:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

redarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of light

his uk license maybe

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.