Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

British Passport references in the US

British Passport references in the US

Old Jul 13th 2012, 5:12 am
Just Joined

brit0ninusa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default British Passport references in the US

I just applied for my daughters British Passport in the US. She was born in the US, My wife and I are both british Citizens. I just received a letter from the consulate in washington asking for some more information. They requested two photocopies of her Photo ID in the form of her US passport or Passport card and Drivers license. The passport is not a problem but she has a drivers permit which does not have a photo. The letter goes on if neither of these are available then two professional letters written on a company Letter head. explaining how long they have know her (2 years or more) plus countersigned photos. She is a an eighteen year old, besides her doctor and her teacher not many professional that she is going to know. School is out so I am unable to get hold of her teacher. any advice on this matter
Old Jul 13th 2012, 7:39 am
Just Joined

seb_ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: British Passport references in the US

Are any of your friends, or her friends' parents "professionals"? I was in a similar situation when I needed some pictures countersigned, so I asked a friend's stepdad (a university professor) to sign them for me.
Old Jul 13th 2012, 12:34 pm
Just Joined

The hardest part is getting the reference on a company letter head.
Old Jul 13th 2012, 1:11 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Bank manager, dentist, doctor, use a notary republic.

Anyone that they can get in contact with to verify they checked she is who she says she is.
Old Jul 13th 2012, 1:31 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Is there a reason she cannot get a full Driver license? Then the letters are redundant. Assuming there is no hurry for the passport.
Old Jul 13th 2012, 1:36 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RICH
Is there a reason she cannot get a full Driver license? Then the letters are redundant. Assuming there is no hurry for the passport.
Potential to need to hold a learners permit x number of months or till you get to a certain age perhaps.
Old Jul 14th 2012, 3:02 am
Just Joined

she is still a learner driver, thats why she has a permit, I received the letter from Passport Office, Washington USA yesterday and I have two weeks from them sending the letter which was the 7th July. short notice but what can you, The hardest part is getting the references on a letterhead. it takes so much time
Old Jul 14th 2012, 3:06 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

What state issues driver permits without a photo?

Could she get a non-driver state ID card? Recommended to have one of these if you don't have a DL.
Old Jul 14th 2012, 3:17 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by JAJ
What state issues driver permits without a photo?
Quite a few actually.

The state ID is a good idea, proof of residence like a library card and a passport to show who you are is usually good enough to get one of those. Some states print them off and you get them straight away, others might not and could take a couple of weeks to get it in the mail though.