Reload this Page >

Removal of child from jurisdiction UK to US

Removal of child from jurisdiction UK to US

Old Aug 24th 2014, 7:21 pm
Forum Regular

SophieDoyle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Removal of child from jurisdiction UK to US

Originally Posted by Shirtback
If the ex partner is listed on the birth certificate, & has obtained a PSO, I think we can assume she has Parental Responsability.

There are some good arguments up thread for the OP's case, including (bizarrely or not) that UK immigration laws prevent (new) family life in the UK. The lack of child support payments is not one of them.

This case needs an experienced lawyer, & a well-rehearsed & documented case by the OP.

Many years ago, I thought I'd have to go through similar (no PSO however). After legal advice, & preparing my case very thoroughly, I took a last ditch before court chance & invited the other (very hostile) parent to discuss it. Much to my surprise, he finally agreed to sign his approval to a joint agreement on removing the children, visitation etc, which we later ratified through the courts.

I wish you the best of luck, get a lawyer!!

S
Thank you for this, S. I appreciate the positivity.
Old Aug 24th 2014, 7:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

hoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond repute

Some of this doesn't add up.

You say in your original post that you would provide expenses for your ex to visit accommodation and you would fly back twice a year etc etc, but then go on to say you lack experience and qualifications for a moderate-income job that would allow your new partner to come to the UK.

Not saying it is impossible, or trying to be mean here. But, first priority is your kid. Unless your new partner is loaded, then I am not sure you are moving over to a better situation.

Putting this in context - others who have made it over, have degrees and experience etc. face months to find meaningful employment here. On a completely practical level, how are you going to fund daycare (average $250-$400 a week here), food, bills, etc? These are the kinds of things you need to think about when presenting your case, and also practically speaking, before you set foot on US soil. Otherwise you and your child will struggle. Badly.

Last edited by hoffage123; Aug 24th 2014 at 7:41 pm.
Old Aug 24th 2014, 7:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Well like Hoffage said, you'll be a whole lot worse off in the US, and the US is a terrible place to be poor. The "poorest parts of town" are invariably dangerous, social welfare and support systems a virtually nonexistent, and you'll be out of pocket the legal, court, and visa fees. Honestly, you need another plan because fleeing to the US isn't going to solve your problems, and will likely make them worse.
Absolutely. Sophie, please proceed with caution.
Old Aug 24th 2014, 10:29 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BunnyGirl
Just playing devil's advocate but if she didn't adopt your daughter, does having her on the birth certificate grant her parental responsibility? Because if it doesn't...
Since this may come up again I'll cite from the official source on this:

https://www.gov.uk/parental-rights-r...responsibility

Who has parental responsibility?...

...Same-sex parents

Civil partners

Same-sex partners who were civil partners at the time of the treatment will both have parental responsibility.

Non-civil partners

For same-sex partners who aren’t civil partners, the 2nd parent can get parental responsibility by either:

applying for parental responsibility if a parental agreement was made
becoming a civil partner of the other parent and making a parental responsibility agreement or jointly registering the birth
Old Aug 24th 2014, 10:56 pm
Forum Regular

SophieDoyle is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks. I know we both have parental responsibility. Thank you for informing the others.
Old Aug 26th 2014, 3:56 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Honestly, you need another plan because fleeing to the US isn't going to solve your problems, and will likely make them worse.
But, she's in love... and love conquers all, right? She was proabably also in love with her ex... but perhaps this time it's "true love", and not merely whatever it was with the ex! One might wonder whether or not she'd have had a child were she not in a serious relationship... and what happened afterwards - and does that raise any flags for this time around?

Still, moving from place A to place B is often seen as the cure all... except the person moving is still the same person! So - issues don't actually get solved, they merely get moved from place A to place B.

Ian
Old Aug 26th 2014, 4:05 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
But, she's in love... and love conquers all, right? She was proabably also in love with her ex... but perhaps this time it's "true love", and not merely whatever it was with the ex! One might wonder whether or not she'd have had a child were she not in a serious relationship... ....
It had already crossed my mind that the OP has gone from a relationship considered serious enough to bring a child into the world, to preparing to face-off with her (now) ex- in a courtroom in a period not exceeding 15 months (9+6).

I can't imagine why she would plan to move 3,000+ miles, to a country with limited social safety net when she has few resources and limited earning potential, so soon after her previous relationship crashed and burned. ..... Ah yes, of course, this time it's true love!
Old Aug 28th 2014, 1:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

NatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SophieDoyle
2) I am in no means wanting to stop my ex partner and daughter having a relationship, I can offer for my ex partner to come out and visit, and I'll provide accommodation. Also, Skype, letters, photos, etc. Also, I will be travelling back to the UK regularly, where my ex partner can have contact and also overnight stays until we go back. (Twice a year I'd probably be flying back)
How do you plan to subsidize the visits and accommodation given your limited earning potential?
Old Aug 28th 2014, 1:25 pm
TMR
Account Closed

TMR has a reputation beyond reputeTMR has a reputation beyond reputeTMR has a reputation beyond reputeTMR has a reputation beyond reputeTMR has a reputation beyond reputeTMR has a reputation beyond reputeTMR has a reputation beyond reputeTMR has a reputation beyond reputeTMR has a reputation beyond reputeTMR has a reputation beyond reputeTMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NatashaB
How do you plan to subsidize the visits and accommodation given your limited earning potential?
Seconded. This makes no sense at all.

I'm reminded of that film 'In America', where a couple inexplicably moved their children into abject poverty across the Atlantic.
Old Aug 30th 2014, 6:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
She and her current partner are going to do a K-1 fiancé visa process.

Rene
This is available for same sex couples? I must have missed this news.
Old Aug 30th 2014, 6:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
This is available for same sex couples? I must have missed this news.
Since DOMA was dropped.

Same-Sex Marriages | USCIS
Old Aug 30th 2014, 6:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Since DOMA was dropped.

Same-Sex Marriages | USCIS
Many thanks
Old Aug 30th 2014, 10:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

hoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TMR
Seconded. This makes no sense at all.

I'm reminded of that film 'In America', where a couple inexplicably moved their children into abject poverty across the Atlantic.
At least they will have ample babysitting facilities at the diner below the flat where they live ...

(Only people who have watched the film will understand the reference)