Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Removal of child from jurisdiction UK to US

Removal of child from jurisdiction UK to US

Old Aug 24th 2014, 7:36 am
Hoppity hop...

BunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Removal of child from jurisdiction UK to US

Originally Posted by Michael
Unless British courts are significantly different from American courts, American courts consider both parents of equal value and usually don't grant removal if one parent objects. Even moving from state to state is difficult in the US if one parent is opposed.

In fact in my case, my ex wanted to move out of the country and my lawyer said, "You can stop her moving with the kids" but I didn't want to make her life miserable just because we weren't together any more.
Fair enough, that's just from what lawyers told me when I started looking into it.
Old Aug 24th 2014, 7:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BunnyGirl
Fair enough, that's just from what lawyers told me when I started looking into it.
There was a thread in the in the MBTTUK forum where a British woman was marrying an American and thought she had an agreement with her ex to take the kids with her where she would fly him to the US once a year and bring the kids (9 and 13 year olds) back to the UK once a year but at the last minute, he demanded that she send the kids back to the UK chaperoned on a flight during the summer and again chaperoned back to the US at the end of the summer and pay for all his expenses while he was in the US.

I never found out how that worked out but she decided to go to court to try to get a removal order and hoped that by him changing his mind (she had documentation of the emails) would have an effect on the judge to grant the removal order.
Old Aug 24th 2014, 9:17 am
Forum Regular

SophieDoyle is an unknown quantity at this point

I have looked into my partner moving here to the UK, there is no visa for what we require, and I don't earn the threshold amount for her to come here. It would be a lot easier for me to move there, minus this court order. This decision is and has been the last resort.

My ex partner has not adopted my daughter, she's just on the birth certificate as 'parent'.

I have already got a consultation from a lawyer who said I have a strong case, I just wanted some personal experiences.
Old Aug 24th 2014, 4:23 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Do not think there is a he involved.
Old Aug 24th 2014, 4:39 pm
Forum Regular

No, I conceived by sperm donor- Artificial Insemination.
Old Aug 24th 2014, 4:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I don't recall anyone in a similar situation on BE but someone may chime in.

'Better upbringing' is highly subjective though. It could seem like a leap into the unknown.
Old Aug 24th 2014, 6:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

hoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I don't recall anyone in a similar situation on BE but someone may chime in.

'Better upbringing' is highly subjective though. It could seem like a leap into the unknown.
Agreed and with respect to the earlier suggestion about your OH coming over to the UK which you rebuffed, if you aren't earning the minimum threshold in the UK (£18,500/annum), that suggests that you are likely to get similar/lower paid work in the US (do you have a degree, because without one it is super hard to get anything resembling a living wage here). Once you take into account costs like cost of living in your state, healthcare etc, you could find yourself in a considerably poorer situation, comparatively speaking.

Surely it would be easier for you to try and find work that meets the minimum threshold for a UK visa for your partner to come over?

Hoffage
Old Aug 24th 2014, 6:27 pm
Account Closed

OP has a small child to care for.
Old Aug 24th 2014, 6:31 pm
Hoppity hop...

BunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SophieDoyle
I have looked into my partner moving here to the UK, there is no visa for what we require, and I don't earn the threshold amount for her to come here. It would be a lot easier for me to move there, minus this court order. This decision is and has been the last resort.

My ex partner has not adopted my daughter, she's just on the birth certificate as 'parent'.

I have already got a consultation from a lawyer who said I have a strong case, I just wanted some personal experiences.
Just playing devil's advocate but if she didn't adopt your daughter, does having her on the birth certificate grant her parental responsibility? Because if it doesn't...
Old Aug 24th 2014, 6:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Just playing devil's advocate but if she didn't adopt your daughter, does having her on the birth certificate grant her parental responsibility? Because if it doesn't...
I was thinking the same...

There is a large gray area that would best be answered by someone with legal knowledge.
Old Aug 24th 2014, 6:57 pm
Account Closed

Presumably it is an issue otherwise there would be no court order.
Old Aug 24th 2014, 7:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Presumably it is an issue otherwise there would be no court order.
It may make a difference. A parent can't chose to be a half parent wanting to make decisions about the child but not financially support the child just because the child isn't his biological child. That could make a difference in the eyes of the court.
Old Aug 24th 2014, 7:05 pm
Forum Regular

She has parental responsibility hence the order against me being in place.

I have researched this over and over again, there is no way of me changing career path and earning £18,600. I simply do not have the qualifications or experience to earn that much.
Old Aug 24th 2014, 7:13 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SophieDoyle
She has parental responsibility hence the order against me being in place.

I have researched this over and over again, there is no way of me changing career path and earning £18,600. I simply do not have the qualifications or experience to earn that much.
Well like Hoffage said, you'll be a whole lot worse off in the US, and the US is a terrible place to be poor. The "poorest parts of town" are invariably dangerous, social welfare and support systems a virtually nonexistent, and you'll be out of pocket the legal, court, and visa fees. Honestly, you need another plan because fleeing to the US isn't going to solve your problems, and will likely make them worse.
Old Aug 24th 2014, 7:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
I was thinking the same...

There is a large gray area that would best be answered by someone with legal knowledge.
If the ex partner is listed on the birth certificate, & has obtained a PSO, I think we can assume she has Parental Responsability.

There are some good arguments up thread for the OP's case, including (bizarrely or not) that UK immigration laws prevent (new) family life in the UK. The lack of child support payments is not one of them.

This case needs an experienced lawyer, & a well-rehearsed & documented case by the OP.

Many years ago, I thought I'd have to go through similar (no PSO however). After legal advice, & preparing my case very thoroughly, I took a last ditch before court chance & invited the other (very hostile) parent to discuss it. Much to my surprise, he finally agreed to sign his approval to a joint agreement on removing the children, visitation etc, which we later ratified through the courts.

I wish you the best of luck, get a lawyer!!

S

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.