Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Remote working from USA

Remote working from USA

Old Nov 1st 2017, 4:52 pm
Just Joined

therightway is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Remote working from USA

Thanks, both things I will look into. There seems to be some issues around counsellors and therapists working across state lines in terms of licensing i.e. you can't work with a client in a different state if you are only licensed in another, but not sure if this is the case if I am working with clients back in the UK remotely.

More to unpick!! Thanks for your help.
Old Nov 2nd 2017, 4:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

I have been informed that the NCE is recognised in most States. They may also be able to give you some advice.
Old Nov 2nd 2017, 4:12 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mrken30
I have been informed that the NCE is recognised in most States. They may also be able to give you some advice.
NCE? Not familiar with that acronym.
Old Nov 2nd 2017, 5:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

NCE | NBCC
Old Nov 3rd 2017, 8:50 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mrken30
:-) Thanks
Old Nov 7th 2017, 11:31 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by therightway
Could I continue to work with UK clients remotely via Skype, if my company is registered in the UK?

I really want to continue working with clients somehow and the information I have sifted through already is very confusing.
Any help or signposting would be very much appreciated.
Many thanks
Leela
It is very confusing, prepared to be and remain very confused.

The key thing in your question is if your company is registered in the UK. The answer is yes, but in reality the answer is not really. First of all you can't bypass any local legal requirements for your occupation by only serving clients in the UK - in fact to do this remotely you have to comply with the requirements in both jurisdictions.

This is pretty common for RNs for example who enter the US from Canada under NAFTA. They have to be qualified in both places.

The second problem are taxes. You can certainly be self-employed or have a corporation or whatever in the US and simply invoice the UK clients in Sterling, it's a little bit complicated but it can be done. However, having a UK business is not really practical as it is essentially a letterbox company at that point as you're never there in person.

Assuming it's a corporation, you'd have to file a 5471 with your 1040 every year which is hideously complex and if you were merely self-employed in the UK then you are no longer resident there for tax purposes so you simply can't do that anymore, you'd have to be self-employed in the US.

And if your money is sitting in a UK corporation, you then have to figure out how to get it into the US, which is not a simple thing to do. You could make it a wholly-owned subsidiary of a US corporation and then repatriate the money that way, or you could have a US corporation that invoices the UK corporation and move the money over that way, or the UK corporation could have a US payroll and do it that way.

All of which is fantastically complicated for a one-person business and not recommended.
Old Nov 8th 2017, 8:18 am
Just Joined

Thanks for your reply Steve. This is really helpful. It looks like I'm going to have to find a creative way to help people without calling myself a counsellor. So frustrating.