Remote working from USA

Remote working from USA

Old Oct 30th 2017, 4:41 pm
Just Joined

therightway is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Remote working from USA

Hi,
I'm new here.
I'm due to be moving to Illinois to be with my American Partner (marriage in the pipeline) next year. My question is around working, as I will end up having a green card (thinking positively!). I'm a qualified counsellor in the UK, but it looks like that won't translate in the State of Illinois. Does anyone know the answers to the following:
Who could I contact to find out some sort of conversion qualification for counselling from UK to USA.
Could I continue to work with UK clients remotely via Skype, if my company is registered in the UK?

I really want to continue working with clients somehow and the information I have sifted through already is very confusing.
Any help or signposting would be very much appreciated.
Many thanks
Leela
Old Oct 30th 2017, 5:35 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Remote working from USA

What visa will you be entering the USA with?

Rene
Old Oct 30th 2017, 7:07 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

You aren't really new here, as you have some past posts from 2010. Based on those, it seems you'll be entering on an Immigrant Visa, which means you'll become a US PR upon entry to the USA. In which case, yes, you can work remotely for your UK employer.

Rene
Old Oct 30th 2017, 8:12 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

In order to practice in most states, you need to pass a bar exam. Contact the Illinois State Bar and ask them for guidance.
Old Oct 30th 2017, 8:15 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by therightway
Hi,
I'm a qualified counsellor in the UK, but it looks like that won't translate in the State of Illinois. Does anyone know the answers to the following:
Who could I contact to find out some sort of conversion qualification for counselling from UK to USA.

What kind of "counsellor" are you?
Old Oct 30th 2017, 8:37 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

P.S. As an attorney, you should know that google is your friend.

https://legalmattersmag.wordpress.co...ng-in-the-usa/
Old Oct 30th 2017, 9:27 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
You aren't really new here, as you have some past posts from 2010. Based on those, it seems you'll be entering on an Immigrant Visa, which means you'll become a US PR upon entry to the USA. In which case, yes, you can work remotely for your UK employer.

Rene
Wow, that was some time ago and a past situation. I only remembered I had this account when I tried to sign up and use it.
Anyways, I will be entering on a C1 spousal visa.
Old Oct 30th 2017, 9:28 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
What kind of "counsellor" are you?
Apologies I should have clarified. I am a counsellor in the psychotherapy sense of the word, not a lawyer.
Old Oct 30th 2017, 9:29 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rete
P.S. As an attorney, you should know that google is your friend.

https://legalmattersmag.wordpress.co...ng-in-the-usa/
Not an attorney, a counsellor as in helping people with their problems. It's more to try and understand the remote working aspect.
Old Oct 30th 2017, 9:50 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Not an attorney, a counsellor as in helping people with their problems. It's more to try and understand the remote working aspect.

Once you are a legal resident of the US, you can work where you like. If you work with clients in the UK, you bill them, they wire money to your US account (or wherever you want to be paid), and you pay your taxes in the US, as that is where you were located when you performed the service.
Old Oct 30th 2017, 10:04 pm
Just Joined

Once you are a legal resident of the US, you can work where you like. If you work with clients in the UK, you bill them, they wire money to your US account (or wherever you want to be paid), and you pay your taxes in the US, as that is where you were located when you performed the service.
That's great, thank you for your response. Makes sense.
Old Oct 31st 2017, 4:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

I was in a similar situation but I moved to Maine. I contacted my local university who said that they could review my transcripts from the UK then give me credits towards their masters degree, should I choose to take it.

It was all too complicated and long-winded and expensive for me at the time so I didn't pursue it any further.

Here's some info for Illinois.

https://www.counselor-license.com/st...ings/prefilter
Old Nov 1st 2017, 10:09 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by kins
I was in a similar situation but I moved to Maine. I contacted my local university who said that they could review my transcripts from the UK then give me credits towards their masters degree, should I choose to take it.

It was all too complicated and long-winded and expensive for me at the time so I didn't pursue it any further.

Here's some info for Illinois.

https://www.counselor-license.com/st...ings/prefilter

Thank you, that's really helpful. I just spent 4 years getting my qualification here, so the thought of doing more at this stage doesn't fill me with joy ;-)
Old Nov 1st 2017, 3:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

If the OP does go this route and they are "self employed" for US tax purposes they need to be aware of the additional taxes that they will have to pay - employer's share of Social Security tax etc - this is no different than anyone else who is self employed in the US and isn't particularly complicates but is something that they need to be aware of.

https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small...als-tax-center
Old Nov 1st 2017, 4:26 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Originally Posted by md95065
If the OP does go this route and they are "self employed" for US tax purposes they need to be aware of the additional taxes that they will have to pay - employer's share of Social Security tax etc - this is no different than anyone else who is self employed in the US and isn't particularly complicates but is something that they need to be aware of.

https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small...als-tax-center

Indeed -- but I have always found it to be "swings and roundabouts," as there is so much one can write off one's taxes as a self-employed person.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.