Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Relocation packages

Relocation packages

Old Dec 14th 2009, 11:34 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Relocation packages

Originally Posted by Lazzza
You know I have not been around here long but neither am I new and I have to agree with this guy. Some responses here are snippy. Would an adult really respond to another adult's perfectly legitimate question (if face to face)by saying "duh"? I hope not.

People who have just been told they are being moved across the world are often in a state of shock and anxiety. So maybe they could be cut a bit of slack?
Most people probably would actually.

And it's just general forum netiquette, this forum isn't any different in that regards. You've got enough nonce to google for the forum, ought to have enough to search the actual forum or at the very least read the faq's/stickied threads for a similar question.

People are always more willing to help out when they know someone has bothered to at least search out and do some of their own research for a life changing proposition.
Old Dec 15th 2009, 1:14 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute

These relocation question/answer threads are amazing to me. We came over on H1B/H4 visas for a small company (husband is the only H1B they have ever filed for) and our relocation package? $7,500. Nope I am not missing a zero there. It covered flights for husband in summer to visit and meet everyone and a hotel stay, flight for us all in October, some bits of furniture and a really cheap and older car (2002 Kia Sedona) No chance of being able to afford to ship our stuff over. The quotes we got for doing that ranged around the 5,000-6,000GBP.
If you get offered a relocation package of more than that then in my book you are very lucky. (Although I do appreciate that a lot of people have come over on transfers or work for bigger companies than my husband does so they can afford more) Most of the furniture we have in our apartment has been donated to us by other British Expats and friends of said expats. Also we don't know yet if they are going to go down the greencard route but we are hopeful.

Last edited by SarahG; Dec 15th 2009 at 1:19 am.
Old Dec 15th 2009, 1:25 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SarahG
These relocation question/answer threads are amazing to me. We came over on H1B/H4 visas for a small company (husband is the only H1B they have ever filed for) and our relocation package? $7,500. Nope I am not missing a zero there...
blimey, I got more moving from Maine down to Mass

And it still didn't cover anything decent
Old Dec 15th 2009, 1:32 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
blimey, I got more moving from Maine down to Mass

And it still didn't cover anything decent
I know it's not a lot of money but it got us all over here and we are happy here. If we want anything new (like a new TV or a Wii for example) we will just have to save for it. Didn't have a lot of money or a big house in the UK so not a big difference here really!
Old Dec 15th 2009, 1:38 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SarahG
I know it's not a lot of money but it got us all over here and we are happy here. If we want anything new (like a new TV or a Wii for example) we will just have to save for it. Didn't have a lot of money or a big house in the UK so not a big difference here really!
You got seven-and-a-half grand??? We had to sell one of the kids to pay for the visas and then swim over... :curse:
Old Dec 15th 2009, 2:03 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Enter stage left Monty Python
Old Dec 15th 2009, 6:33 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
You got seven-and-a-half grand??? We had to sell one of the kids to pay for the visas and then swim over... :curse:
Eeee, you were lucky, we had to swim over AND tow the QM2 behind us ...
Old Dec 15th 2009, 9:42 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Eeee, you were lucky, we had to swim over AND tow the QM2 behind us ...
We got half way across and then realized we'd left the gas on....
Old Dec 15th 2009, 10:24 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
We got half way across and then realized we'd left the gas on....
Old Dec 15th 2009, 10:37 pm
Ping-ponger

Originally Posted by Lazzza
You know I have not been around here long but neither am I new and I have to agree with this guy. Some responses here are snippy. Would an adult really respond to another adult's perfectly legitimate question (if face to face)by saying "duh"? I hope not.

People who have just been told they are being moved across the world are often in a state of shock and anxiety. So maybe they could be cut a bit of slack?

And to answer the OP's question, from my family's perspective we are getting: all L1 & L2 visa costs - fast tracked, green card application costs, all estate agency and legal fees for UK sale, closing costs for US purchase, 40' container for removals, air freight in addition, storage costs, 4 months temp accommodation until house built, a company pool car for 4 months, 6 flights, a cash lump sum. Hope this helps!
I once read a very persuasive article on how America has turned from the Land of the Free to the Land of the Easily-Offended.

I think this increasingly applies to modern society elsewhere ... I say get Over Yourself, it's a public forum and if someone gives potentially useful advice or points out that you could find the information yourself, why spend energy getting your panties in a bunch because you didn't get sweetness and light, or the level of "customer service" you're used to getting elsewhere? Guess what - this is not a charity shop or professional company! If free information comes with other stuff (sarcasm, impatience, weary annoyance), what the heck - take the free advice and IGNORE THE REST!!

I'd also say (as Meauxna alluded to), it's just as rude to avoid using the words PLEASE and (especially) THANK YOU. But the Easily Offended often seem to be allergic to these terms. They ask a question, come back to rant because one or two people said "There's a dozen threads on this in the past month", and ignore the half-dozen people who answered their question, and then disappear, forever. Take, take, take.

Now all the Easily Offended say after me, Sticks and Stones May Break my Bones ...
Old Dec 15th 2009, 11:06 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

meh....all the advice is wasted anyway as the OP's not checked back since a couple hours after posting the thread....and a s/w person should have known to check previous threads or search stuff out and at least say thanks.