Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Relocation packages

Relocation packages

Old Nov 25th 2009, 11:08 am
Just Joined

Dom and Elaine is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Relocation packages

so everything changes - we were looking to emigrate to Australia, but now my employer is talking about a possible move to California - either Los Angeles or Cupertino.

So my question is, especially given the current financial situation, what sort of relocation package should I be looking for?

Moving over would be me, my wife and two daughters, 11 and 9.

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Dominic
Old Nov 25th 2009, 11:27 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Relocation packages

Originally Posted by Dom and Elaine
so everything changes - we were looking to emigrate to Australia, but now my employer is talking about a possible move to California - either Los Angeles or Cupertino.

So my question is, especially given the current financial situation, what sort of relocation package should I be looking for?

Dominic
Did you use the search function? There are a bazillion threads on here giving this kind of advice.

People will want to help, but please don't make them type a book about it when we've done this so many times already. What specific questions do you have? Maybe you can also give us a bit more information about your circumstances (job/industry etc.), which could help.
Old Nov 25th 2009, 11:31 am
Just Joined

Dom and Elaine is an unknown quantity at this point

Did you use the search function? There are a bazillion threads on here giving this kind of advice.
Yes I did but most of it seemed to be very old advice and given the tightened budgets I wasn't sure if things have changed.

I work in the software industry, for a US-headquartered company so this would be a move back to one of their head office sites.
Old Nov 25th 2009, 12:41 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I did but most of it seemed to be very old advice and given the tightened budgets I wasn't sure if things have changed.
How do you define "very old". There are at least 3 threads I can think of from the past month. There is a search feature on the main page of this forum... try again.

I work in the software industry, for a US-headquartered company so this would be a move back to one of their head office sites.
So then, an L-1 visa? In any relocation package, there are 3 things that usually stand out: 1) GC application; 2) all moving expenses including moving back; 3) at least one (some try for 2) planned holiday visits per year.

That said, if you want good information, you need to give good information. Knowing a bit more about your circumstances would help to refine the information you receive.

Ian
Old Nov 25th 2009, 1:12 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

In addition, healthcare insurance, reimbursement for transitional period between arrival and finding a place to live, car rental.

The cost of living has NOT changed all that much in the last two or three years in the US and especially for those that are being funded by companies to make the transition to the US who have little or no expenses in terms of setting up households or whose expenses will be reimbursed.

Archives are filled with great information as is the wiki.

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
How do you define "very old". There are at least 3 threads I can think of from the past month. There is a search feature on the main page of this forum... try again.

So then, an L-1 visa? In any relocation package, there are 3 things that usually stand out: 1) GC application; 2) all moving expenses including moving back; 3) at least one (some try for 2) planned holiday visits per year.

That said, if you want good information, you need to give good information. Knowing a bit more about your circumstances would help to refine the information you receive.

Ian
Old Nov 25th 2009, 3:53 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Dominic
Originally Posted by ian-mstm

Ian
Ian's points are very valid but it all depends on how much you want the move. We moved to Los Angeles a couple of years ago on L visas, hubby is in the games industry for a major company.

They paid all moving expenses, visa expenses, are currently (slowly) doing the GC application. However, we never got planned holidays back and would never have dreamed of asking for them. Unless its a temporary assignment why would the company pay for your vacation back to England? I always think thats rather cheeky.

Are you prepared to refuse the offer if they don't pay x or y? Personally we would have taken what we could have got as if we hadn't made the move hubby would have really struggled to get a similar job in England.

As far as living in LA is concerned, the economy is screwed, spending in schools is being cut back again, and was already very low. Cost of living is very expensive and its rather unfriendly.

The sun is nice though
Old Nov 25th 2009, 4:13 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Cue Dr Evil.... "One MILLION dollars!".
hth
Old Nov 25th 2009, 4:28 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
As far as living in LA is concerned, the economy is screwed, spending in schools is being cut back again, and was already very low. Cost of living is very expensive and its rather unfriendly.

The sun is nice though
That's not new. It has always been that way for LA.
Old Nov 25th 2009, 4:30 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Cue Dr Evil.... "One MILLION dollars!".
hth
I'd have settled for a bag of sprouts....
Old Nov 25th 2009, 4:41 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
I'd have settled for a bag of sprouts....
I wasn JUST wondering yesterday where you were. Didn't quite make it far enough to stalk you, but it's the thought that counts.
Old Nov 25th 2009, 7:24 pm
Forum Regular

buckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to allbuckers is a name known to all

Dominic

Hi

There are loads of threads, search through from about June of this year at least (only because i and others asked the same questions before we moved over in the last month). One thing i will say is find out as much as you can about your tax implications here in the US with whatever package you get - as you will be liable for tax on alot of things........trust me, we are just finding out now!!!! and we thought we knew it all

If you dont ask you wont get!!!! is the only other way to look at it..........dont be out of pocket for anything to do with the move if you can help it and good luck with it all

T
Old Nov 25th 2009, 8:40 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

They paid all moving expenses, visa expenses, are currently (slowly) doing the GC application. However, we never got planned holidays back and would never have dreamed of asking for them. Unless its a temporary assignment why would the company pay for your vacation back to England? I always think thats rather cheeky.
The L is a temporary visa, not permanent, so fully justified.
Old Nov 25th 2009, 8:57 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
The L is a temporary visa, not permanent, so fully justified.
I know that, but still don't see how you can justify it when the company are relocating you with GC applications included. The move although on a temporary visa is seen for most people and companies to be a permanent one, the L visa just a step on the way to GC and therefore permanent status.

Well done to anyone who manages to get holidays paid for by their company, but I still think its very cheeky.
Old Nov 25th 2009, 9:00 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I know that, but still don't see how you can justify it when the company are relocating you with GC applications included. The move although on a temporary visa is seen for most people and companies to be a permanent one, the L visa just a step on the way to GC and therefore permanent status.

Well done to anyone who manages to get holidays paid for by their company, but I still think its very cheeky.
Don't forget some companies promise a GC but that's as far as it gets. My husband retained all his UK benefits until we received our GCs.
Old Nov 25th 2009, 9:46 pm
Septic Sprout

Originally Posted by meauxna
I wasn JUST wondering yesterday where you were. Didn't quite make it far enough to stalk you, but it's the thought that counts.
I'd buggered off to Vegas for the week. First did some hiking round Zion NP and Valley of Fire SP (both very nice). Unfortunately after the next few days of drinking cheap, oversized cocktails out of huge plastic Eiffel Towers and the like I am now left pregnant with a buffet baby...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.