Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Relocation Package Advice Needed

Relocation Package Advice Needed

Old Sep 25th 2009, 6:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Daydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really nice
Question Relocation Package Advice Needed

Sorry for the long post

I am new to the USA forums, I hope I am posting this in the right place

My husband has recently been offered the opportunity of relocating to either Canada or Texas from his company in Sydney. I dont want to go to Canada - we left the Uk for better weather. They would prefer Canada, but I really dont want to go there.

What would be a decent relocation package to accept? I have no idea what it would cost to go from Sydney to Texas, the searches bring up costings for a UK->USA move.

So any advice would be greatly appreciated on costs of moving and also cost for initial accommodation, car rental etc Also is there anything else we need to keep in mind when negotiating the package - repatriation costs if he loses his job, tax, anything else?

I believe that the package they are offering would include the cost for the visa if that makes sense, so X amount to relocate him with so much going to the Visa and rest for us to utilise on the move, they put it all together for their budgeting. So how much approximately does the L1 visa cost? I know that we are not responsible for paying for it, but I need to know how much we could expect to have available to cover the cost of the move.

I would be going from a brilliant job, that pays really well and gives me as much flexibility as I want to being unemployed in a new country where I know nobody. It really is a tough one, my job is good, but this would be a brilliant opportunity for us to experience something we would probably never get another chance at doing. My husband also loves his job, but this all started when he was offered another job at a much higher salary here in Sydney, and he would love to be able to continue working with them.

Basically my biggest concern is that we end up out of pocket. Having only been in Australia for a year, we havent exactly recovered financially from the Aus move, so I dont want to fork out for something that isnt even my idea :-)
Old Sep 25th 2009, 6:11 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Relocation Package Advice Needed

Maybe a guide? (although it's Australia specific)
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Corpor...tion-Australia

Would you want green cards and if so, do you know the pathway to obtain them?
Old Sep 25th 2009, 6:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Daydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really nice

Originally Posted by JAJ
Maybe a guide? (although it's Australia specific)
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Corpor...tion-Australia

Would you want green cards and if so, do you know the pathway to obtain them?
Thanks JAJ, will have a look at it. It wasnt so long ago you were helping me with my Australia move. When will we settle down
Old Sep 25th 2009, 6:23 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Daydreamer123
Thanks JAJ, will have a look at it. It wasnt so long ago you were helping me with my Australia move. When will we settle down
Are you permanent residents in Australia? If so, have you thought about whether you want to abandon your status ESPECIALLY if you're going to be stuck on temporary status in the US. Which, by all accounts, is not fun.
Old Sep 25th 2009, 6:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JAJ
Are you permanent residents in Australia? If so, have you thought about whether you want to abandon your status ESPECIALLY if you're going to be stuck on temporary status in the US. Which, by all accounts, is not fun.
Yeah, I have thought about it. We think we would only stay in the US a couple of years if we did decide to go, that would give us sufficient time to return to Australia if that was what we wanted to do. Our initial PR would still be valid.

What restrictions are there on temporory US residents? Is it similar to here in Aus i.e no medical, need to pay for schools etc. If that is the case, OH's company would be paying for medical as they do here in Aus. We dont have kids, so no school fees. I can't think what else as we are PR here.

It is really difficult to decide, which is why I want to find out what it will cost us. I wont do it if it costs me anything other than the cost of shipping my cats - can't go anywhere without them. But if it doesnt cost us anything, and we get to go somewhere totally new and unexpected for a couple of years, well we are still young, why not.

But I know what you mean, if we stay too long we would have only the option of returning to the UK, Aus would be gone and by it would be tricky to get a visa again, and not something I would want to go through again
Old Sep 25th 2009, 11:31 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

a) Where in Texas? It's a big state--about two and a half times larger than the size of the UK.

b) ALL medical in the US is paid by the employer or the employee themselves. You will need to inspect the offering with a fine tooth comb to make sure it covers what you need cover and doesn't cost you too much out of pocket.
Old Sep 25th 2009, 11:55 am
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
a) Where in Texas? It's a big state--about two and a half times larger than the size of the UK.

b) ALL medical in the US is paid by the employer or the employee themselves. You will need to inspect the offering with a fine tooth comb to make sure it covers what you need cover and doesn't cost you too much out of pocket.
and make sure medical covers dental and optical.
Also, many companies will include flights back to your home country for visits...something you may want to think about.
If you are thinking of wanting to apply for your Green Cards (LPR) then make sure this is also in the contract.
Old Sep 25th 2009, 3:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisa67
and make sure medical covers dental and optical.
Also, many companies will include flights back to your home country for visits...something you may want to think about.
If you are thinking of wanting to apply for your Green Cards (LPR) then make sure this is also in the contract.
I'd advise getting GC applications in the contract from the get go. The the option is definitely there. (Hubby was only ever going to be in the US for two, max three years....once he was embedded in life here, he quickly changed his mind.)
Old Sep 25th 2009, 7:44 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Plenty of threads recently to give you an idea on what to look out for, all valid info even if it's based on moving from the UK, the bennies would be the same to ask after.

And moving for the weather, Texas ain't that great, hot and humid and no seasons?

Least if it's a company transfer you'll be allowed to apply for a EAD and be able to work, worth getting the company to stump for that too.
Old Sep 25th 2009, 8:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Plenty of threads recently to give you an idea on what to look out for, all valid info even if it's based on moving from the UK, the bennies would be the same to ask after.

And moving for the weather, Texas ain't that great, hot and humid and no seasons?

Least if it's a company transfer you'll be allowed to apply for a EAD and be able to work, worth getting the company to stump for that too.
Hey..Don't mess with Texas (not humid where I am and I love it!!)
Old Sep 26th 2009, 12:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Cool, thanks for the advice so far, really helpful!

It would be Austin if we go. We arent moving there for the weather, its all about the work for my OH. But I really wont move to Canada because of the weather.

This weekend, my mission is to research jobs for me, and see if it is doable for me. Because my OH handed in his notice and they decided they didnt want to lose him, we are having to look into this in a huge rush before he starts his new job. The new job is such an easy option, more money, more senior position, prestigious company. But we have to consider this option, it is once in a life time.

So Lisa, what is Texas like? We are quite attracted to the idea because it just seems like exactly the opposite type of place to where we could imagine ourselves, but that is just from what you see on TV if you know what I mean, we've never been there.
Old Sep 26th 2009, 4:28 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Cool, thanks for the advice so far, really helpful!

It would be Austin if we go. We arent moving there for the weather, its all about the work for my OH. But I really wont move to Canada because of the weather.

This weekend, my mission is to research jobs for me, and see if it is doable for me. Because my OH handed in his notice and they decided they didnt want to lose him, we are having to look into this in a huge rush before he starts his new job. The new job is such an easy option, more money, more senior position, prestigious company. But we have to consider this option, it is once in a life time.

So Lisa, what is Texas like? We are quite attracted to the idea because it just seems like exactly the opposite type of place to where we could imagine ourselves, but that is just from what you see on TV if you know what I mean, we've never been there.
Texas is nothing like you've seen on TV.

Austin is nothing like Texas.

Both are a good thing.
Old Sep 26th 2009, 5:18 am
JAJ
Retired

Yeah, I have thought about it. We think we would only stay in the US a couple of years if we did decide to go, that would give us sufficient time to return to Australia if that was what we wanted to do. Our initial PR would still be valid.
But plans, circumstances, etc, could change. If you stayed away longer, would you be able to return?

How long have you been in Australia up to now? Also read,
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Reside...Visa-Australia

Bear in mind that even if you keep your PR, you will probably re-set the eligibility clock for Australian citizenship and will have a 3-4 year wait on your return.

What restrictions are there on temporory US residents? Is it similar to here in Aus i.e no medical, need to pay for schools etc. If that is the case, OH's company would be paying for medical as they do here in Aus. We dont have kids, so no school fees. I can't think what else as we are PR here.
Some discussion here:
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Lawful_Permanent_Resident

It is really difficult to decide, which is why I want to find out what it will cost us. I wont do it if it costs me anything other than the cost of shipping my cats - can't go anywhere without them. But if it doesnt cost us anything, and we get to go somewhere totally new and unexpected for a couple of years, well we are still young, why not.

But I know what you mean, if we stay too long we would have only the option of returning to the UK, Aus would be gone and by it would be tricky to get a visa again, and not something I would want to go through again
Immigration to Australia has become a lot harder recently.

Do you like and enjoy living in Australia? If so, think hard about your options. Even if you get green cards and become US citizens (if you stay long enough in the US), is it worth it if you cannot get back to Australia?

If you still want to go to the US, ask?

- Can your husband get a green card through first preference (otherwise it may take years) and will his employer sponsor him immediately (many won't);

- Would you like to be under a "time limit" to return to Australia?

- Who would pay the repatriation costs?