Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Relocation from California - where should we live? HELP!

Relocation from California - where should we live? HELP!

Old Jul 19th 2016, 4:00 pm
Forum Regular

Psyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Relocation from California - where should we live? HELP!

Originally Posted by carlrush
If it wasn't for the politics I'd suggest looking at Boise, ID.

Boise Ranks #6 Best Place to Live: U.S. News & World Report | Grow. Ideas. Here.

Close to nature/outdoorsy - VERY
Easy access to either a ocean or a good size lake (i.e. A Tahoe) - and hour or so commute would be fine - lots of lakes to canoe/water ski in
Vibrant community/town (i.e. Summer movies/concerts, good music scene, abundance of independent bars, restaurants, shops etc) - yes, lots of craft brew pubs popping up all the time, WholeFoods & Trader Joes
Good Weather (which for us means plenty of sunshine, not too much rain and snow but ideally somewhere that does to some extent experience all the seasons) - all four seasons, no rain and very low humidity
Old houses with Character - we would love to buy a Victorian or Georgian place. - North End neighborhood and downtown have lovely older houses
Affordable on a family income circa $120k (possibly more but we like to be a bit more frugal and save) - very, you'd live like a king on that
Near a semi decent airport (boring but important and my husband flies regularly for work) - regular easy flights to LAX and SFO as well as Chicago, Denver, Houston, Dallas etc
Not TOO big a place - ideally a population around 100k people (large town, small city size) - Boise itself is about 200k but doesn't feel like it. Surrounding towns are more like 50k - 75k.
Needs to be a Blue/liberal town/city even if the state isn't. - Hmm...
Good location for Road tripping to other towns and cities - we love a good road trip vacation! - Rocky Mountains, Yellowstone, Bend, Oregon coast etc

Since the growth of Boise State University the city has become more balanced politically (although the rest of the State is clearly still very Red). I've been visiting family there for 15 years now and it feels a lot different. I think you can always find like-minded people wherever you go but personally I think hearing both sides of the argument is healthy.
I lived in Boise for 12 years until about 18 months ago. It definitely has some of the things you are looking for. The City itself is run well by a Mayor and council who do a great job. The City is pretty mainstream politically and was one of the first to remove the Mississippi flag with its Confederate symbol from City hall. Outside of Boise, things get very republican except for Sun Valley area and maybe Coeur d'Alene up in north Idaho (another nice town). Some of the things you hear discussed in the State capitol, and laws passed, will boggle the mind and you'd think you're in the deep south.

Apart from State politics, the only reasons I left was because I miss the coast (10 hr drive from Boise), too hot in the summer (regularly over 95 degrees), and jobs in my field didn't pay enough. You may find too that salaries there are pretty low. Housing was also very cheap, which helps, but I think things are changing. I'd consider moving back for a decent paying job though.

I'm on the west side of Oregon now. Yeah its wet 6 months of the year, but it tends to rain A LOT all in one go. Last summer was pretty warm, but this year has been great. I've been going to Bend since 1995 - its changed a lot. Nice town and climate, but pretty expensive to live there for a small town.
Old Jul 20th 2016, 8:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CheshireGal
Hi Mrken30

We visited bend a year or so ago and thought it was a gem! If I could find out the Bend equivalent in other states I would be very happy! We loved the surrounding areas too, very cute and lovely scenery.

Oregon has a piece of my heart but the amount of grey and rainfall on the Portland side of the cascades has me feeling that I could just be in the UK nearer to family. That said I can't rule it out because I fall in love a little bit more each time we visit Oregon! Hah. Is bend typically blue skies or is winter overcast too?
Why not Portland? Seems to have everything and weather would match what you are looking for. You get rain which is good for the garden, but amounts of sun are similar to Mediterranean areas (Cost Brava for example).
Old Jul 20th 2016, 2:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Why not Portland? Seems to have everything and weather would match what you are looking for. You get rain which is good for the garden, but amounts of sun are similar to Mediterranean areas (Cost Brava for example).
Water is cheap if you don't live in Multnomah county. Portland is also great if you love bikes and hate cars. It also has great fish and chips.
Old Jul 20th 2016, 4:26 pm
Forum Regular

off_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond repute

A friend just moved to Portland, OR and loves it. He cant say enough about the lifestyle, access to everything and cost of living. And the whole 'keep Portland weird' stuff is true. I havent been to Portland, but it sounds amazing and hits pretty much all of the points you raise.
Old Jul 20th 2016, 6:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by off_again
A friend just moved to Portland, OR and loves it. He cant say enough about the lifestyle, access to everything and cost of living. And the whole 'keep Portland weird' stuff is true. I havent been to Portland, but it sounds amazing and hits pretty much all of the points you raise.
They even had a pedophile mayor a few years back.
Old Jul 20th 2016, 6:39 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
Is that related to "lifestyle", "access to everything", or "keeping Portland weird".
Old Jul 20th 2016, 6:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Is that related to "lifestyle", "access to everything", or "keeping Portland weird".
Keeping Portland weird
Old Jul 21st 2016, 8:25 pm
Forum Regular

off_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
Mmm, thats not good.