Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Relocating Dog-DIY or Company?

Relocating Dog-DIY or Company?

Old Sep 26th 2015, 7:12 am
"Ignore Imbecile replies"

florida12 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Relocating Dog-DIY or Company?

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Any longer?? We moved in '96 and our vet refused to sedate then!

You could look into using a shared private jet service. It maybe cheaper to buy a friend a return ticket to the UK...so both dogs can be in the cabin. You need to researchg airlines and costs.
Shared private jet service? Hmmm. I shall look into that. Thank you.
"Any longer? " I had mentioned that because for some reason, i had been told by so many dog owners 'get them sedated' and when i tell them that, they no longer do that or at least i dont think that they do because of a safety issue etc, they all seem surprised! So i thought i may had misread it somewhere. I'd rather find an alternative than have them both in the hold, but if needs must then, no choice in the matter as they need to be coming with me and very soon.
Old Sep 26th 2015, 12:07 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to be a Debbie Downer, but you really need to consider that you may not get a fit to fly certificate from the vet if your dog is that bad of a traveller. Maybe you could start looking at options now to help calm them down. It may be worth asking pet air (if that's who you plan on using) what options you have. Maybe you could start working with a Thundershirt now if they allow your pet to travel in one?
Old Sep 26th 2015, 12:10 pm
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

KLM definitely allow dogs on the plane:

https://www.klm.com/travel/us_en/pre...s/index.htm#p1

You just need two of you, as JG says.
Old Sep 26th 2015, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by Mr Weeze
KLM definitely allow dogs on the plane:

https://www.klm.com/travel/us_en/pre...s/index.htm#p1

You just need two of you, as JG says.
Thank you. Would this be from London? Does KLM actually fly enroute to USA from London?
Also, I wish my 2 chi's were considered as one being how tiny they both are. It will only be myself due to the last minute flight bookings and no one else is available to take time off from work etc to travel with me.
I hate to think they are having to go into a hold. I have been trying to find photos or hidden videos or even demo's from pet carriers of where your pet will be held and how.. Any links out there for this? Thanks again. I shall look into KLM. I like to keep it just a one trip rather than go through a connecting flight. I want to make less of a stress to them and onto myself worrying about them both.
Old Sep 26th 2015, 12:52 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by florida12
Thank you. Would this be from London? Does KLM actually fly enroute to USA from London?
Also, I wish my 2 chi's were considered as one being how tiny they both are. It will only be myself due to the last minute flight bookings and no one else is available to take time off from work etc to travel with me.
I hate to think they are having to go into a hold. I have been trying to find photos or hidden videos or even demo's from pet carriers of where your pet will be held and how.. Any links out there for this? Thanks again. I shall look into KLM. I like to keep it just a one trip rather than go through a connecting flight. I want to make less of a stress to them and onto myself worrying about them both.
Try Air France...also United as they fly from the UK. When they were Continental a couple of our members took their cats in the cabin when flying from the UK. I think they all have a one pet per traveler policy.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Sep 26th 2015 at 1:07 pm. Reason: Typo
Old Sep 26th 2015, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Try Air France...also United as they fly from the UK. When they were Continental a couple of our members took their cats in the cabin when flying from the UK. I think they all have a one pet per travelled policy.
Great thank you! As long as they fly from London/UK I shall try those.
Many thanks.
Old Sep 26th 2015, 1:07 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Here is the link for California
https://www.cdph.ca.gov/programs/vph...portation.aspx

you need a rabies vaccination - please make sure that you allow sufficient time.
The airline will also require a vet certificate of health - but you must check with them on their procedure.

If there is just you travelling then at least one of the dogs must go in the hold. Maybe keep the anxious one with you if you must?

If your destination is San Diego, then try to use an airline with a direct flight into San Diego or you will almost definitely get charged about $500 per dog for a domestic flight, even if the airline tells you differently.

We used Lufthansa and went from Toulouse to Frankfurt to Houston cost us €350 for that (dog in the hold) and Lufthansa was great. Then we had to pick up the dog, clear her through customs with us and then check her in for the last 40 mintue flight to Austin. That cost us $450 extra even though Lufthansa had said it was included since we had got the flights all the way with Lufthansa.

A google search "international flights between london and san diego"
tells me that American, BA, Finnair and Iberia all fly direct from London to San Diego. I'm betting it's the same flight as a code share.
Old Sep 26th 2015, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
Here is the link for California
https://www.cdph.ca.gov/programs/vph...portation.aspx

you need a rabies vaccination - please make sure that you allow sufficient time.
The airline will also require a vet certificate of health - but you must check with them on their procedure.

If there is just you travelling then at least one of the dogs must go in the hold. Maybe keep the anxious one with you if you must?

If your destination is San Diego, then try to use an airline with a direct flight into San Diego or you will almost definitely get charged about $500 per dog for a domestic flight, even if the airline tells you differently.

We used Lufthansa and went from Toulouse to Frankfurt to Houston cost us €350 for that (dog in the hold) and Lufthansa was great. Then we had to pick up the dog, clear her through customs with us and then check her in for the last 40 mintue flight to Austin. That cost us $450 extra even though Lufthansa had said it was included since we had got the flights all the way with Lufthansa.

A google search "international flights between london and san diego"
tells me that American, BA, Finnair and Iberia all fly direct from London to San Diego. I'm betting it's the same flight as a code share.
Thank you for googling. Yes it is BRITISH AIRWAYS who are the only direct flight to SD from Heathrow. I have travelled there several times. Only airline. 10.5 hours. I like to keep them both together so they feel better with each others crates together on the hold. I don't even think BA even allow or even, the other shared coded flights will allow, myself to carry at least one of them on board. But then again, I prefer to keep them both together. The vet told me today that I should make sure that the anxious one has, the calming spray put onto her blanket and toys and she may even need this calming drops 30 mins before flight is due to leave.
They will definitely have their rabies jab a month before flight is due, I was told it doesn't matter if they have it anytime soon, as long as they've had it a month before travel. Their fit for fight certificate I shall get 7 days before travel according to the USA CDC website.
It looks like I may just have to deal with a direct flight to SD. 10.5 hrs and get some calming drops/and spray for her bedding and toys. Poor little thing. After all this worry, I am sure she'll be just fine on the other side of arrivals.
Old Sep 26th 2015, 1:39 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by florida12
It looks like I may just have to deal with a direct flight to SD. 10.5 hrs and get some calming drops/and spray for her bedding and toys. Poor little thing. After all this worry, I am sure she'll be just fine on the other side of arrivals.
are they allowed bedding/toys? I don't think Lufthansa allowed it for hygiene reasons. We bought a disposable liner. Although she didn't pee at all during her very long day. She waited until the customs guy was giving her a quick check...
Old Sep 26th 2015, 1:44 pm

are they allowed bedding/toys? I don't think Lufthansa allowed it for hygiene reasons. We bought a disposable liner. Although she didn't pee at all during her very long day. She waited until the customs guy was giving her a quick check...
I am not sure. Was only guessing. Be a shame if not. Understand though, although my two love to burrow themselves under blankets. Liners then. SPray the corners with the petcalmex spray etc.
Your dog was very good not going toilet. I don't think my ones will be able to wait during that long of a trip. Now, when they arrive, does anyone clean them or are they given to you as they are? I doubt they will clean, but just in case, any given dog had a really bad flight of it and made a huge bad mess that it needed cleaning as not nice for them to be in their own mess.
Old Sep 26th 2015, 1:52 pm
Austin. TX.

If you are DIYing it then cleaning up the dog is your responsibility. You can buy dog wipes over here, can you get those in the UK. I've never used them but for a quick wipe over of a small dog, I can see they'd be useful.
Old Sep 26th 2015, 2:03 pm

If you are DIYing it then cleaning up the dog is your responsibility. You can buy dog wipes over here, can you get those in the UK. I've never used them but for a quick wipe over of a small dog, I can see they'd be useful.
I am going to go through a pet carrier. I think I feel better doing it that way.
But I know me, I shall provide everything for them. They have everything..
Old Sep 26th 2015, 2:23 pm
Austin. TX.

Originally Posted by NatashaB
We also used Pet Air UK and were very happy with them. We used their cheaper option which meant we did the vets paperwork ourselves, it was pretty straightforward.
NatashaB, what happened at the arrival airport? Reading through the petair blurb it seems that you have to pick them up and get them through customs yourself anyway. If you're on the same flight, won't they just put them through excess baggage?

I guess I'm just wondering what petairuk do at this end?
Old Sep 26th 2015, 2:38 pm

NatashaB, what happened at the arrival airport? Reading through the petair blurb it seems that you have to pick them up and get them through customs yourself anyway. If you're on the same flight, won't they just put them through excess baggage?

I guess I'm just wondering what petairuk do at this end?
That would be great to know the answer to this aswell as the Vet form you had to fill in. What did you have to answer or declare on the forms and how much did you save by doing it this way?
Excess baggage. How do they leave your pets like this? Like by the carousel? Do they not be left at customer services desk where staff can keep an eye on them? This is all so overwhelming! And I haven't even started on removals yet! Which will be sorted this week coming.
Old Sep 26th 2015, 3:15 pm
Austin. TX.

Florida12, if you are planning on using BA then you'll need to ask them for the certificate that they want. It may well be the IATA one - this is the one I got our french vet to fill in (in English) https://www.aphis.usda.gov/library/f.../APHIS7001.pdf We needed 3 copies of this - all originals and not photocopies.

The process for us was:
Dog booked in with Lufthansa for all flights (just ensuring that they haven't reached the limit of number of animals on each flight). Nothing paid at this point. BEFORE OUR FLIGHTS WERE BOOKED
Took her to the airport with us - went to ticket sales desk and paid for her as "excess baggage" $350. Went to check in ourselves and 10 bags(!) then at the appropriate time, took the dog to the excess baggage check in, presented documents and they took her away in her crate to the plane.
We collected her from excess baggage at Houston (we were there way ahead of her), she was wheeled out on a trolley by the handler. Took her out of the crate at customs check - she was given a lookover and the iata form above was looked at to verify rabies vaccine.

Last edited by petitefrancaise; Sep 26th 2015 at 3:18 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.