Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Relinquish UK driver license?

Relinquish UK driver license?

Old Nov 17th 2016, 11:28 pm
Forum Regular

Faery is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Relinquish UK driver license?

So I've been living in the US for several years and I still have my UK driver license with my previous name and last UK address, which I cannot change as I am not a UK resident so until now I've hung onto it. Now my license is due for renewal in 2017. If I send it back to the DVLA, and if I were ever resident in the UK again, would I be able to get it back or would I have to re-take a driving test?

Should I send it back to DVLA with a letter?
Old Nov 17th 2016, 11:38 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Relinquish UK driver license?

Originally Posted by Faery
So I've been living in the US for several years and I still have my UK driver license with my previous name and last UK address, which I cannot change as I am not a UK resident so until now I've hung onto it. Now my license is due for renewal in 2017. If I send it back to the DVLA, and if I were ever resident in the UK again, would I be able to get it back or would I have to re-take a driving test?

You might be better off asking in the "Moving Back to the UK" forum, as this doesn't seem to be a question about anything to do with the USA.

Rene
Old Nov 17th 2016, 11:40 pm
Forum Regular

Ok. I'm not moving back to the UK though, just wondering what to do about my British driving license.
Old Nov 18th 2016, 12:17 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Ok. I'm not moving back to the UK though, just wondering what to do about my British driving license.
I know, but that's the forum where they answer questions about what to do in the UK.

Rene
Old Nov 18th 2016, 12:27 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

The DVLA won't want it so just hang onto it. You'll need your driving licence number if you return to the UK and wish to renew it so it makes more sense to keep it.
Old Nov 18th 2016, 12:37 am
Forum Regular

I read somewhere that the DVLA sends a reminder letter to the address on the license to renew the photocard and failure to do so results in a fine. As it expires next year I do not want the residents of my old house to receive that and also I do not want to get in trouble. I guess I should just call the DVLA.
Old Nov 18th 2016, 12:44 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

I read somewhere that the DVLA sends a reminder letter to the address on the license to renew the photocard and failure to do so results in a fine. As it expires next year I do not want the residents of my old house to receive that and also I do not want to get in trouble. I guess I should just call the DVLA.
You're not fined for not renewing your photocard if you no longer drive and don't want to. That's your choice. You are fined if you drive on an expired licence or move home and don't update your licence but still drive on it. This doesn't apply to anyone who has moved aboard. The official advice is that you keep your last UK address on your licence until such time that you return to the UK.

If you voluntarily surrender your licence then you'll have to take your driving test again if you return to the UK.
Old Nov 18th 2016, 12:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

I've lived in the US for 26 years now and still have my UK license (the old pink one without the photo). I have no intention of giving it back. I expect if I move back there I would have to trade it in for a modern one with a photo.
Old Nov 18th 2016, 1:03 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BritInParis
You're not fined for not renewing your photocard if you no longer drive and don't want to. That's your choice. You are fined if you drive on an expired licence or move home and don't update your licence but still drive on it. This doesn't apply to anyone who has moved aboard. The official advice is that you keep your last UK address on your licence until such time that you return to the UK.

If you voluntarily surrender your licence then you'll have to take your driving test again if you return to the UK.
Ah, I see. Thank you!
Old Nov 18th 2016, 2:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

I have found it useful to carry my UK licence as ID. I was carded last week at a bar/restaurant I go to regularly and my US licence had just expired and I still haven't received my new one back from E-Verify, so it came in handy. This has happened a few times.
Old Nov 18th 2016, 3:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis

Thank you - this is useful info. I had been wondering the same thing as the OP.
Old Nov 18th 2016, 4:39 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by kins
Thank you - this is useful info. I had been wondering the same thing as the OP.
Kins, I just called the DVLA and spoke to a very nice lady, she told me to send them a letter or fax with details of my US address and that I live abroad so they can put this on my file and if they ever need to contact me. She said I don't need to send the license in and if I ever move back to the UK, they can re-new it and I don't have to take another test Let me know if you want the postal address she gave me.
Old Nov 19th 2016, 6:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Derrygal
I've lived in the US for 26 years now and still have my UK license (the old pink one without the photo). I have no intention of giving it back. I expect if I move back there I would have to trade it in for a modern one with a photo.
We lived in the US for 29 years and held onto our UK old pink licence. We moved back this year and exchanged it for a new pink one with a photo. Very easy, took less than a couple of weeks to get it after mailing in the application with current photos.
Old Nov 20th 2016, 6:13 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by durham_lad
We lived in the US for 29 years and held onto our UK old pink licence. We moved back this year and exchanged it for a new pink one with a photo. Very easy, took less than a couple of weeks to get it after mailing in the application with current photos.
Very good to hear!
Old Nov 20th 2016, 6:15 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Orangepants
I have found it useful to carry my UK licence as ID. I was carded last week at a bar/restaurant I go to regularly and my US licence had just expired and I still haven't received my new one back from E-Verify, so it came in handy. This has happened a few times.
I have a state ID card for situations like that

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.