Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Reflections after 6 months touching down.

Reflections after 6 months touching down.

Old Feb 15th 2018, 4:10 pm
Forum Regular

RollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond repute
Default Reflections after 6 months touching down.

Hello.
We've been here in Philly a little over 6 months now. Its been a crazy, crazy ride. We thought we had an idea of what we were in for, but really we had no idea. Sometimes, although we knew it was going to be hard, we wonder if we would have done it had we known precisely how hard. It's the relentlessness of hard stuff that gets you down, I think. That said, after being through a bit of a downer at the start of the year and the cold, cold winter taking us completely by surprise, I feel that things are starting to look up again.

Our relocation consultant introduced us to another family being relocated a few months ago, and I have to say, life would have been a hell of alot harder if we hadn't had each other. Particularly since our husbands are away so much now, movin' and shakin'.
It's interesting that both of us had completely different experiences of the same relocation consultant.
So I've been reflecting; what makes a good relocation consultant? Also what would you have needed from them as you left home ground?

For us, we didn't want help with schools because I only trusted myself to do that. As a result this pretty much decided for us the area we were going to live. However, the consultant did help us find a house and also negotiated the rental agreement for us. She helped us get our ID's, SSN's, and driving licenses. But that was pretty much it.
However, our new friends found the same consultant to be too 'pushy' and they went against her advice on a house in the end. At this point it seems like she disengaged from them a bit and it was a loooong time before she came back to them offering help with ID's and SSN's.

So as I reflect, I'm interested in your experiences of relocation and what works.

At the same time I must add that this forum was a godsend from all the little bitty help and advice about schooling, pet transport, electrical appliances (I went with a frontloader in the end) to using the International Autosource as a means of having it sorted by the time we left home. Thanks Pulaski, for that one. A car was absolutely essential for us and arriving two weeks before the school autumn term meant that we had little time to play with. IAS arranged a rental car for us until ours arrived, reimbursed us the cost of it and then provided us with a shiny new car around 6 weeks later. Sure, the lease may be expensive but honestly, we were so under the cosh at the time there is no doubt our mental health was aided with the assistance of IAS.

And Thank you British Expats!
Old Feb 15th 2018, 6:00 pm
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Reflections after 6 months touching down.

Originally Posted by RollingStones
However, our new friends found the same consultant to be too 'pushy' and they went against her advice on a house in the end. At this point it seems like she disengaged from them a bit and it was a loooong time before she came back to them offering help with ID's and SSN's.
Would not be suprised if it's all about $$$.
There could have been a finders fee for the consultant if the family had taken the house recommended.
By going alone that cut her out.

They don't always look out for the client, more so themselves.
Old Feb 16th 2018, 1:04 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by excpomea
Would not be suprised if it's all about $$$.
There could have been a finders fee for the consultant if the family had taken the house recommended.
By going alone that cut her out.

They don't always look out for the client, more so themselves.
No relocation consultant is allowed to take commission from anyone. They are employed to advocate and look after their assignees and are paid from the mobility budget.
Old Feb 16th 2018, 1:15 pm
Forum Regular

BigK is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey at least you brought Philly its first Super bowl. Its a great time to be in Philly
Old Feb 16th 2018, 2:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigK
Hey at least you brought Philly its first Super bowl. Its a great time to be in Philly
After they demolished half the city

I know my cousin said his relocation assistance was invaluable. They helped him set up everything from his SSN, Driving License, apartment etc. Finding the right car and even helping him with insurance.

I guess it just depends on which firm you're using and it's just down to luck on who you get assigned.
Old Feb 16th 2018, 2:38 pm
Forum Regular

RollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigK
So they keep telling me

Did you see Jason Kelce's speech? I don't regard myself prudish atall. However, I was surprised at the language he used to make his point infront of such an enormous crowd. Particularly with so many children present. Then I was super-surprised at the incredibly positive response from nearly every Philadelphian I meet to a speech that came across as a bit truculent Strangley, I can't imagine that being acceptable at home. Or am I just being old-fahioned?
Old Feb 16th 2018, 3:55 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Hello.
For us, we didn't want help with schools because I only trusted myself to do that. As a result this pretty much decided for us the area we were going to live. However, the consultant did help us find a house and also negotiated the rental agreement for us. She helped us get our ID's, SSN's, and driving licenses. But that was pretty much it.

So as I reflect, I'm interested in your experiences of relocation and what works.
As you only have your new acquaintances side of the story, I would definitely take it with a few grains of salt. Who knows, I'm sure you don't, what they deem to be 'pushy'. If it were the same agent, then the service offered to both you and the new acquaintances should have been the same. What would make it different would be clash of personalities and/or attitude on part of the client. You worked with your agent. It would appear that the new acquaintances did not.
Old Feb 17th 2018, 12:14 pm
Forum Regular

FrankCastle is an unknown quantity at this point

My company is arranging something for me and appointing a realtor to locate some housing and also a consultant because i was told legally the realtor can't say anything bad about a property but a consultant can.... is that right?

So I've been reflecting; what makes a good relocation consultant?
Sorry to throw this question back at you

Is there anything you particularly wish you'd got some more info on? Sounds like you were pretty clued up on a few things prior to the move.

I know I've got a lot of info in this forum and need to start reading but always good to hear about others experiences.
Interesting to hear about getting a cold shoulder for not taking the advice. From your experience is it particularly worth keeping the consultant on side?
Old Feb 17th 2018, 2:15 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FrankCastle
i was told legally the realtor can't say anything bad about a property but a consultant can.... is that right?

Therer's a thing called disclosure -- if something "bad" is known about a property, it has to be disclosed to a potential buyer. For instance, I'm thinking about buying a house, but I have it tested for radon and it comes back positive. I decide not to buy the house. Now that it is known that the house has radon, it has to be disclosed to the next potential buyer. A realtor in a good area dealing in decent properties isn't going to risk a lawsuit over non-disclosure.
Old Feb 17th 2018, 5:42 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FrankCastle
My company is arranging something for me and appointing a realtor to locate some housing and also a consultant because i was told legally the realtor can't say anything bad about a property but a consultant can.... is that right?

From your experience is it particularly worth keeping the consultant on side?
A realtor in Texas cannot disclose demographic information ( hispanic community, gay community etc) They can't say which school is better or worse.
Your relocation consultant can. She is hired for her local knowledge and is "your person" - there to guide you, look out for you and advocate .

The realtor is paid on commission so can hardly be non-biased. Your relocation person is paid a certain amount to look after you.

Normally, a relocation person has their realtors that they like to work with and the realtors have to be vetted by the mobility company. It would be unusual for the relocator to work with a realtor provided by the company - unless it was a house buying scenario, In this case, the relocator would bow out of the process and help you with the other aspects of moving.

PLease bear in mind that not everybody is given the same level of relocation assistance. Some people get half a day, some a day, some 2 days and some get a week.
Old Feb 17th 2018, 5:48 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
A realtor in Texas cannot disclose demographic information ( hispanic community, gay community etc) They can't say which school is better or worse.
Your relocation consultant can. She is hired for her local knowledge and is "your person" - there to guide you, look out for you and advocate .
Regarding the school information, that seems like a pointless restriction, if it is law. All one needs to do is look at any of the real estate sites, i.e. Zillow, etc. to find out the information on schools and their ratings.
Old Feb 17th 2018, 5:56 pm
Austin. TX.

Originally Posted by Rete
Regarding the school information, that seems like a pointless restriction, if it is law. All one needs to do is look at any of the real estate sites, i.e. Zillow, etc. to find out the information on schools and their ratings.
The realtor sites list the school assigned to the property with usually a great schools score. They do not give out demographic information nor is there any kind of disclosure about special programs at the school - more special needs kids, more ESL kids etc. If I were to ask where all the french kids go to school, the realtor would suggest I ask the french community, or might give a very vague response.
Old Feb 17th 2018, 6:06 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
The realtor sites list the school assigned to the property with usually a great schools score. They do not give out demographic information nor is there any kind of disclosure about special programs at the school - more special needs kids, more ESL kids etc. If I were to ask where all the french kids go to school, the realtor would suggest I ask the french community, or might give a very vague response.
Zillow gives you the rating as per greatschools.org. From there you have the choice of going into the school site itself and reading up on the programs available, etc. It is very easy to find out the information on schools, even without a realtor's input, so why restrict them to what they can and cannot offer.

I never said they gave out demographic information for that I would go to citydata.com and ask questions, etc. I know that I when I next move back to my home state, I will definitely tell my reality what type of neighbors and neighborhood I am not interested in buying in.
Old Feb 17th 2018, 9:12 pm
Forum Regular

BigK is an unknown quantity at this point

So they keep telling me

Did you see Jason Kelce's speech? I don't regard myself prudish atall. However, I was surprised at the language he used to make his point infront of such an enormous crowd. Particularly with so many children present. Then I was super-surprised at the incredibly positive response from nearly every Philadelphian I meet to a speech that came across as a bit truculent Strangley, I can't imagine that being acceptable at home. Or am I just being old-fahioned?
Well yes, the profanity laced speech was perhaps inappropriate in front of 3 million people. But remember this city has never won a superbowl and probably has the most passionate sports fans in the country. So it came from the heart and will go down in history as the best speech ever. I loved it!

And, welcome to Philly! That's how they roll. My favorite city, btw
Old Feb 17th 2018, 11:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Realtor being unable to say bad things about the property is BS. Ours would on every property we visited, sometimes pointing out foundation issues etc.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.