Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Recruitment agencies

Recruitment agencies

Old May 28th 2009, 4:24 pm
Just Joined

dave_the_leg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Recruitment agencies

My wife and I would like to relocate to the US. She's an American citizen, so getting an IR-1 visa etc should be just a matter of going through the process. She's a stay at home mom looking after our two girls (4 months and 2 years) and we want to keep it that way, so I need to find a job, preferably before we move.

My background is a BSc in Applied Physics, PhD in Electronics and registered as a Chartered Engineer (CPE equivalent) with 15 years experience in electronic and optical design for precision instruments.

Could anyone recommend a good recruitment agency what might be relevant. I am considering posting my resume on sites like Monster, but they seem a bit like a sledge hammer to crack a nut - you either smash the nut, or miss it completely and smash your foot!

On a related issue, if a vacancy says 5+ years experience, any idea how far above 5 they might be looking? The few I've seen quoting salary ranges seemed very high, or could I really earn $150k+?

Thanks
Old May 28th 2009, 4:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Recruitment agencies

Originally Posted by dave_the_leg
My wife and I would like to relocate to the US. She's an American citizen, so getting an IR-1 visa etc should be just a matter of going through the process. She's a stay at home mom looking after our two girls (4 months and 2 years) and we want to keep it that way, so I need to find a job, preferably before we move.

My background is a BSc in Applied Physics, PhD in Electronics and registered as a Chartered Engineer (CPE equivalent) with 15 years experience in electronic and optical design for precision instruments.

Could anyone recommend a good recruitment agency what might be relevant. I am considering posting my resume on sites like Monster, but they seem a bit like a sledge hammer to crack a nut - you either smash the nut, or miss it completely and smash your foot!

On a related issue, if a vacancy says 5+ years experience, any idea how far above 5 they might be looking? The few I've seen quoting salary ranges seemed very high, or could I really earn $150k+?

Thanks

I know you did not ask this, but I wanted to point this out to you in case you were not aware of it. You're going to run into an issue if your wife does not work and does not plan on working in the US. Part of the IR1 process requires that your wife is your sponsor. The sponsor has to have income and/or assets that meet the minimum requirements, as specified on form I-864p (this can be found on www.uscis.gov under Forms). If your wife does not meet these requirements, then you must have a joint sponsor that does. A joint sponsor can be anyone over the age of 18 and a US cit or LPR living in the US.

As far as websites, I'd use Monster and Careerbuilder. RE jobs , you can post your resume/CV on those sites, and apply for jobs, and oftentimes you will get calls from recruiters that come across your resume. That's how I've found my engineering positions. Recruiters came to me, I didn't go to them. Be aware that you are unlikely to get any job until you are work authorized in the US. Unless the company is willing to sponsor an employment-based visa for you.

Usually 5+ years is just that, 5+ years. If other candidates only have the bare minimum and you have twice or three times as much, then you would probably have a stronger chance of landing the job.
Old May 28th 2009, 4:46 pm
Just Joined

dave_the_leg is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
I know you did not ask this, but I wanted to point this out to you in case you were not aware of it. You're going to run into an issue if your wife does not work and does not plan on working in the US. Part of the IR1 process requires that your wife is your sponsor. The sponsor has to have income and/or assets that meet the minimum requirements, as specified on form I-864p (this can be found on www.uscis.gov under Forms). If your wife does not meet these requirements, then you must have a joint sponsor that does. A joint sponsor can be anyone over the age of 18 and a US cit or LPR living in the US.
Thanks for that. From what I've read about the affidavit of support, we must have income, or readily realisable assets, that will provide 125% of the poverty level for our family for 3 years. Even if we had to sell our house at well below market value, that plus my ISA and other savings would be more than enough to meet that requirement. Selling the house is something we'd be doing anyway, but I'd prefer to keep the ISA if I can, especially since its down a lot from its peak at the moment
Old May 28th 2009, 4:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, and I forgot to mention, if you want to check Ladders.com, that is another website for jobs. The jobs listed on that site are higher paying positions (think $100k plus), and given your years of experience, there could be many on there you could qualify for.
Old May 28th 2009, 9:18 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

monster and careerbuilder are shit, I wouldn't bother for the tech stuff...

coroflot for the engineering and design and possibly dice and guru.

Better yet, apply direct. LinkedIn if you've set yourself up, build a network and contact directly as agencies are shit, especially if your not on the ground.

Quite a few jobs going in your sector in the Boston/Waltham area.

Cognex and Mathworks especially.

Might need security clearance for some of the jobs though and that'll be an issue.
Old May 30th 2009, 4:39 pm
Boston Sep 15th

starky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud of

The few I've seen quoting salary ranges seemed very high, or could I really earn $150k+?
With your experience and the right job and a bit of luck probably can! This is why so many engineering professionals want to come and work here. US Salaries were a big driver for me to come over here. good luck with the visa and Job hunting!
Old May 30th 2009, 4:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

emailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really nice

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
Oh, and I forgot to mention, if you want to check Ladders.com, that is another website for jobs. The jobs listed on that site are higher paying positions (think $100k plus), and given your years of experience, there could be many on there you could qualify for.
I think you mean http://www.theladders.com/ unless the OP wants some nice ladders for when she is back over in the US
Old May 30th 2009, 5:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
With 15 years of experience and a PhD, I suspect that $150K plus bonus, stock options, and good benefits would be the low end in the Silicon Valley (SF Bay Area). However the bay area is an expensive area to live and until you get the visa in your hand, it would be difficult to get a job.
Old May 30th 2009, 5:53 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
My education and experience is similar to yours, and I'm currently working in the MEMS/IR Detector field. Just last week I was approached through LinkedIn by a recruiter who only deals with the Optics industry. The Engineering Director position he wanted to discuss was too far into the Machine Optics field for me to have any real interest, but his website certainly had many jobs which are right in your field:

http://www.opticsprofessionals.com

p.s. You can send me a private message if you would like the details of the President of Optics Professionals who contacted me through LinkedIn.

p.p.s. Keep well away from Monster.com and the other mainstream sites. TheLadders looks interesting, but they charge a fee to join and they're not necessarily good for technical jobs.

p.p.p.s. Salary varies widely depending on location. I'm sure that your background and experience is worth $150-$200k or even more in Silicon Valley, but you'd have to be at least Director or VP of Engineering to make $150k here in Texas.

Last edited by dbj1000; May 30th 2009 at 5:59 pm.
Old May 30th 2009, 7:11 pm

thinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond repute

No one has mentioned craigslist.com

Whilst it is not a true 'employment site' by any means of the word it is a site some companies (albeit sometimes recruiting agencies hired by the company that is offering the position) are using more and more.

Before you knock it, I know someone who landed a $125k a year Director of Digital Operations job using craigslist. There I was thinking it was solely for selling junk and appeasing the needs of hippies and tree huggers . . .

(and it is free)
Old May 31st 2009, 2:52 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thinbrit
No one has mentioned craigslist.com

Whilst it is not a true 'employment site' by any means of the word it is a site some companies (albeit sometimes recruiting agencies hired by the company that is offering the position) are using more and more.

Before you knock it, I know someone who landed a $125k a year Director of Digital Operations job using craigslist. There I was thinking it was solely for selling junk and appeasing the needs of hippies and tree huggers . . .

(and it is free)
I guaran-damn-tee you that there won't be any PhD-level Optics/Semiconductor/Technical Manufacturing jobs on Craigslist!

Sure, there may be some digital media and IT companies posting their vacancies there, but they're the exception, not the rule.
Old May 31st 2009, 4:01 am

thinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbj1000
Sure, there may be some digital media and IT companies posting their vacancies there, but they're the exception, not the rule.
I didn't claim craigslist was THE place to find a job in that particular field, it was a suggestion as to a place to look.
This company is looking for a research scientist to do something I can barely pronounce let alone understand (a Ph.D required) "maturation of an existing two-photon laser-induced fluorescence (2P-LIF) technique for free stream flow characterization "
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/sci/1156467378.html
I'm sure someone who is looking for a "position [that] involves applied research for the development and application of advanced laser-spectroscopic diagnostic techniques for characterization of arc jet thermochemical and gas dynamic properties" might also guaran-damn-tee he wouldn't find his dream job there, and he may just be wrong.
Like I said its not all hippies and tree huggers; and its not exclusively digital media and IT companies . . .
Old May 31st 2009, 1:10 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

A couple of people have already mentioned Linkedin and I'd second that. In some cases you will find a job is only advertised on Linkedin and not elsewhere. Plus join the Linkedin groups that are related to your profession, because often you will find that jobs are posted there too. You will also find the group members are really great at sharing their knowledge, tips and experiences etc.
Old May 31st 2009, 4:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to behold

With the qualifications and experience you have, I'd make a beeline for the IEEE. (membership about $163 a year). They have their own job site and you can post your resume too.
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 12:16 am
BE Enthusiast

emailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really nice

For technical jobs, here would be my recommendations

www.dice.com
www.indeed.com (aggregator)
www.simplyhired.com (aggregator)