REAL ID

Old Jan 24th 2014, 8:06 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: REAL ID

Originally Posted by ScousePete
You'd better if you live in Arizona!
That section was struck down as was most of it.
Old Jan 25th 2014, 1:22 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
What's wrong is that you've got to get one. So say you want to go to the SSA office - you've got to apply for a passport? And seeing as the passport office is a federal office, how do you get into the passport office without one?
1. Many, if not most, SSA offices do not require ID to get in.
2. First time applications for U.S. passports (or passport cards) are made at designated U.S. Post Offices.
3. In exceptional cases, it would still likely be possible to enter a federal building without ID but may require additional screening.

And I'm Canadian - how do I get into one of these offices or places? I think Alberta ID is okay actually as I mentioned above but still it's a bit silly.
A Canadian citizen living permanently in the U.S. would have a green card. Otherwise a Canadian Enhanced Drivers License (or enhanced provincial ID card) would likely be acceptable, or a NEXUS card.

Or a Canadian passport.

I'm not sure if Alberta's ID is RealID compliant - does it issue an enhanced drivers license/ID card?

Last edited by JAJ; Jan 25th 2014 at 1:31 am.
Old Jan 25th 2014, 5:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
We had credit cards, which we offered to show, but they were just interested in something with with our photo on.
So did you show them 'something with your photo on'?

...Frankly showing ID for internal flights is offensive.
Why - and why the distinction for internal flights? The 9/11 flights were all internal. Verifying identity of who boards internal flights seems equally appropriate. While it may not be a huge burden to a terrorist to acquire a fake ID, it may at least rule out casual nutjobs such as the 'underwear' bomber ... I'm not naive enough to think that a photo ID is going to eliminate terrorist activities on planes ... but showing photo ID just doesn't seem to be a big problem when it comes to boarding a plane.

Originally Posted by Bluegrass Lass
Well, all I can attest to is that on the numerous business trips I have taken, I have always had to show a photo id not only to a check-in agent, and to a TSA agent before reaching the x-ray machines and to TSA agents at the x-rays. Not to mention, depending on the airline, I've had to show id to another airline clerk at the gate before boarding the plane.

I've read of instances where people without id have been denied boarding. So while HH may been a one-off instance, I would say fat chance of everyone getting away with this all the time.
I have a recollection that while going through domestic security at PHX, a dozy teenager in front of me with lots of piercings and tattoos on his body did not have a drivers license. The security guy rolled his eyes, asked him a bunch of questions, then sent him off to the side for additional questioning. I was surprised to see him later in the boarding area. So either he found some ID that was suitable, or they let him through without ID. I would not want to take this risk intentionally, myself, since it is clear that they slow you down at the very least ... and I'm almost always running at the last minute.

Originally Posted by Steve_
Otherwise known as a "passport" but do you really want to use one for domestic flights and going into federal buildings?
Originally Posted by JAJ
What's wrong with using a passport card (or green card for LPR) for this purpose?
I keep my passport in a safe-deposit-box, and when I was a green card holder, I kept that there too - way too valuable (and too hard to replace) to risk carrying around all the time. I was a GC holder from 1985 until 2009 (when I got my US citizenship) and never once carried it around with me, unless I was scheduled to leave the country. I realize now that this was not legal, but I wasn't willing to risk carrying it.
Old Jan 25th 2014, 5:46 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I keep my passport in a safe-deposit-box,
It is possible to have both a passport book and passport card.

and when I was a green card holder, I kept that there too - way too valuable (and too hard to replace) to risk carrying around all the time. I was a GC holder from 1985 until 2009 (when I got my US citizenship) and never once carried it around with me, unless I was scheduled to leave the country. I realize now that this was not legal, but I wasn't willing to risk carrying it.
Not legal, although generally not enforced. That said, it is strongly inadvisable for a GC holder to travel away from home, or in a border area, without GC in possession.

The future is that if a GC holder lives in a non-RealID compliant state, he or she will need to use the GC as the primary ID document to interact with the Federal government.
Old Jan 25th 2014, 12:21 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
So did you show them 'something with your photo on'?

Why - and why the distinction for internal flights? The 9/11 flights were all internal. Verifying identity of who boards internal flights seems equally appropriate.
Where do I start with this one?

1. The hijackers were legally allowed to carry weapons onto the plane.
2. The CIA was aware of a potential plot and had the leaders on their surveillance radar
3. Except they didn't think to let the FBI know
4. Two hijackers were already on a no fly watch list (added August 2001).

As a result checking the hijackers' ID wouldn't have mattered a jot as the American agencies weren't bothering to talk to each other due to politics & bureaucracy.

If you *really* believe checking a persons ID - which could be easily faked, especially given state sponsorship of terrorism (look how Israel routinely abuses other nations passports when carrying out murder) - would in some way stop 9/11 then I'm afraid you don't know much about nation security.

Last edited by hungryhorace; Jan 25th 2014 at 12:33 pm.
Old Jan 25th 2014, 12:45 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Surely if ID wasn't required in order to board a plane or check in, you'd be able to fly using someone else's ticket (which AFAIK is not allowed)?

Also, you'd be able to fly on a ticket that had your name incorrectly written or spelled (and again IIRC, I have read many columns and posts over the years about people being unable to use a flight ticket because of silly accidents like spelling the name wrong on a ticket).

No??
Old Jan 25th 2014, 1:00 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Surely if ID wasn't required in order to board a plane or check in, you'd be able to fly using someone else's ticket (which AFAIK is not allowed)
Very potentially, yes. However, my wider point is that thinking a TSA agent checking your ID which is prone to human failure (as happened with my wife recently; we had the same boarding pass in my name and the TSA never noticed, only before we were boarding did the airline notice!) is in some way making you safer is pretty naive.

A person or persons wishing to perform acts of 'terrorism' (the word was originally used to describe the actions of the state against its citizens interestingly enough), will always find a way through. Having an ID checked really serves limited purpose when recent events show us those who are wishing to cause harm have simply slipped under the surveillance radar so can ID or no ID, their name won't ping against a no fly list. Which, incidentally, if law enforcement had actually been using that DB correctly would have potentially stopped the attack on the Pentagon.

IMO - The best form of defence is the Israeli approach. Systematic profiling of fliers, based on ethnicity, race, name, and so forth. El Al is the safest airline in the sky because of these techniques.

Last edited by hungryhorace; Jan 25th 2014 at 1:02 pm.
Old Jan 25th 2014, 2:59 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

.... IMO - The best form of defence is the Israeli approach. Systematic profiling of fliers, based on ethnicity, race, name, and so forth. El Al is the safest airline in the sky because of these techniques.
Agreed, 100%, but dare I venture to point out that all of the above are completely pointless without a process to identify who is boarding the plane.
Old Jan 25th 2014, 4:18 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Agreed, 100%, but dare I venture to point out that all of the above are completely pointless without a process to identify who is boarding the plane.
Of course, but that process doesn't involve presenting a photo ID I believe.
Old Jan 25th 2014, 4:30 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

I don't have any problem with the purpose of carrying ID. I fly regularly within the British Isles (both domestic UK and to/from the ROI) and carry my passport when doing so - which, incidentally, is always checked at check-in, at the departure gate and again on-board the aircraft. It may also be checked during the security check as well.

Quite happy to use my passport or other ID to verify my identity in lots of other circumstances too. Can't really understand the fuss a lot of people make concerning having to prove *their* identity for various things.
Old Jan 25th 2014, 5:22 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by materialcontroller
I don't have any problem with the purpose of carrying ID. I fly regularly within the British Isles (both domestic UK and to/from the ROI) and carry my passport when doing so - which, incidentally, is always checked at check-in, at the departure gate and again on-board the aircraft. It may also be checked during the security check as well.

Quite happy to use my passport or other ID to verify my identity in lots of other circumstances too. Can't really understand the fuss a lot of people make concerning having to prove *their* identity for various things.
Because it's pretty pointless once you understand how little relevance them checking that ID is in preventing acts of atrocity.
Old Jan 25th 2014, 6:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Of course, but that process doesn't involve presenting a photo ID I believe.
I think you'll find that it does. After the interview by security you get a sticker on your passport which you have to present at the El Al check in desk.
Old Jan 25th 2014, 8:34 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by durham_lad
I think you'll find that it does. After the interview by security you get a sticker on your passport which you have to present at the El Al check in desk.
You've totally missed my point. Do you really think that the point in which you're 'checked' is when you arrive at the airport and present yourself for inspection? Come off it. Of course it isn't. The security services will (read: "should") be aware of the threat and will make the arrest at the appropriate time.

There is technology now being used in Israel (and being trialed in the US & UK I believe) that matches a persons body behaviour / facial expressions to a specific pattern which could warrant further inspection.

Bottom line: if you're relying on checking passengers at the airport to see if they're a security risk, then you're already too late.
Old Jan 25th 2014, 8:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

You've totally missed my point. Do you really think that the point in which you're 'checked' is when you arrive at the airport and present yourself for inspection? Come off it. Of course it isn't. The security services will (read: "should") be aware of the threat and will make the arrest at the appropriate time.

There is technology now being used in Israel (and being trialed in the US & UK I believe) that matches a persons body behaviour / facial expressions to a specific pattern which could warrant further inspection.

Bottom line: if you're relying on checking passengers at the airport to see if they're a security risk, then you're already too late.
I think you've also missed my point. You stated that you don't need a photo id to board an El Al plane, but the fact is that despite the extensive checking away from the desk you are still required to present a passport at check-in to prove who you are otherwise all the background checks and interviews for the person named on the ticket is useless if a different person turns up at the desk and presents a valid ticket.
Old Jan 25th 2014, 8:52 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by durham_lad
I think you've also missed my point. You stated that you don't need a photo id to board an El Al plane
No, I have not. Never in fact.

To clarify: I was referring to the prior screen that is done before you arrive at the airport, NOT checking ID for when you board a plane.

Last edited by hungryhorace; Jan 25th 2014 at 8:59 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.