REAL ID

Old Jan 21st 2014, 8:11 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: REAL ID

Originally Posted by Speedwell
...you are attempting to make sense out of something a representative of the government did regarding paperwork. Have you all learned NOTHING?
This was a representative of the airline. Without their OK to get a boarding pass, you'll not get through to see the government lot.
Old Jan 21st 2014, 8:12 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
I'm calling BS on that. They won't let you on a plane without verifying ID on either side of the Atlantic, unless under special circumstances (like when I forgot my driving license when I went for my visa interview and EasyJet let me on at Luton because my passport was with the Embassy). By rights, they could have told me to fluck off and I would have had to have my mum or sister fly out with my license, though.

They must have verified you through your credit card, or something else during the booking process or you'd have not been allowed to fly, anonymous online posturing notwithstanding.
We had credit cards, which we offered to show, but they were just interested in something with with our photo on.

Also, I've flown internally from England to Scotland without ID being asked for at LHR *many* times. The EasyJet policy you cite i'm not familiar with, but I have heard of certain airlines imposing these silly policies. As I say, i've flown tens of times with BA up to Scotland from LHR and never had ID checked once. There is no law an airline has to conform to to check ID for internal flights. Frankly showing ID for internal flights is offensive.

Last edited by hungryhorace; Jan 21st 2014 at 8:15 pm.
Old Jan 21st 2014, 8:13 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

This was a representative of the airline. Without their OK to get a boarding pass, you'll not get through to see the government lot.
We already had our boarding pass on our phones before we even reached the airport.
Old Jan 21st 2014, 8:17 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
We already had our boarding pass on our phones before we even reached the airport.
Then your ID was verified at the point of booking, which they were able to re-verify at the airline desk and that was kind of a needless rant in the end ...

Ultimately though, it's up to the airline whether they let you on the plane or not, you agree to that when you buy a ticket. It is what it is, mate.
Old Jan 21st 2014, 8:18 pm
Banned

Then your ID was verified at the point of booking, which they were able to re-verify at the airline desk and that was kind of a needless rant in the end ...

Ultimately though, it's up to the airline whether they let you on the plane or not, you agree to that when you buy a ticket. It is what it is, mate.
They didn't ask for any ID at the airline desk, other than to show our boarding passes for them to check in our luggage.
Old Jan 21st 2014, 8:21 pm
I have a comma problem

They didn't ask for any ID at the airline desk, other than to show our boarding passes for them to check in our luggage.
I misread that, I thought this all took place at the check-in desk.

If you have your boarding pass, then it is to be accepted that the airline has already verified your ID, as was the case this time.

Still, at the time I flew without it (2005) ID was required by the airline in order to fly, even if they did decide to allow me on anyway. On an earlier flight, too
Old Jan 21st 2014, 8:21 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I'm calling BS on that. They won't let you on a plane without verifying ID on either side of the Atlantic. ...... They must have verified you through your credit card, or something else during the booking process .....
I suspect that is what happened, because I usually self-check-in, and that requires a DL or credit card in my name, or if checking in on-line, is linked to a credit card in my name.

That said, I am still surprised HH was allowed to board the aircraft without showing photo ID because my local airport stops everyone and checks the ticket and a government-issued photo ID (DL, PP, or GC) of everyone before they get to the security check point. It had never occurred to me that I might be allowed through without an ID.

OK, so your identity was checked to the satisfaction the TSA. Using a credit card is a sure way to leave your fingerprints all over the place.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jan 21st 2014 at 8:24 pm.
Old Jan 21st 2014, 8:23 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I suspect that is what happened, because I usually self-check-in, and that requires a DL or credit card in my name, or if checking in on-line, is linked to a credit card in my name.

That said, I am still surprised HH was allowed to board the aircraft without showing photo ID because my local airport stops everyone and checks the ticket and a government-issued photo ID (DL, PP, or GC) of everyone before they get to the security check point. It had never occurred to me that I might be allowed through without an ID.
That line you speak of is where we were stopped and taken aside for the search. A secondary agent came and searched our stuff as described, took us through the metal detector and we were on our way.
Old Jan 21st 2014, 8:24 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by Pulaski

It may be because they already had boarding passes in hand, plus the use of some kind of expedited check in process at booking. ID verified through the credit card used to pay.

Whether opponents of ID requirements like it or not, 'they' already have your info somewhere.
Old Jan 21st 2014, 9:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Well, all I can attest to is that on the numerous business trips I have taken, I have always had to show a photo id not only to a check-in agent, and to a TSA agent before reaching the x-ray machines and to TSA agents at the x-rays. Not to mention, depending on the airline, I've had to show id to another airline clerk at the gate before boarding the plane.

I've read of instances where people without id have been denied boarding. So while HH may been a one-off instance, I would say fat chance of everyone getting away with this all the time.
Old Jan 21st 2014, 9:38 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Bluegrass Lass
Well, all I can attest to is that on the numerous business trips I have taken, I have always had to show a photo id not only to a check-in agent, and to a TSA agent before reaching the x-ray machines and to TSA agents at the x-rays. Not to mention, depending on the airline, I've had to show id to another airline clerk at the gate before boarding the plane.

I've read of instances where people without id have been denied boarding. So while HH may been a one-off instance, I would say fat chance of everyone getting away with this all the time.
Have you actually read the TSA link I posted? Suggest you do.
Old Jan 21st 2014, 10:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Tbh, HH, I really don't care what the link says. I have no problem carrying a photo ID to get on a plane. Can't tell you have many times I've been asked for one when simply using my credit/debit card in a store. While I am one of the first that will say I refuse to give up freedoms for the sake of a thin veneer of additional safety, flashing a photo ID is a minor thing.
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 3:06 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

REAL ID? Screw 'em.
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 3:31 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Then your ID was verified at the point of booking, which they were able to re-verify at the airline desk
There's no "airline desk" involved when you check-in online, especially without any bags to check. In most airports, you go straight to a TSA checkpoint and as long as your ID meets TSA requirements, you're good to go. Airlines do not usually check ID at boarding gate on domestic flights.

The U.S. passport card may evolve into a de-facto national ID card.
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 5:45 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rpjs
Oh there will be a HUGE fuss if they start denying boarding to folks from New York as our non-"enhanced" DLs are not Real ID compliant and the state has no plans to make them so. But I suspect that DHS will duck the issue by extending waivers indefinitely.
I don't think they will extend them indefinitely, I think what is going to happen is that the States that oppose it will upgrade their IDs anyway and DHS will certify them as compliant arbitrarily. Only way forward I can see given how many States have said they won't comply with it.

They already granted Montana a waiver they didn't ask for.

Otherwise next year you're going to see people not allowed into Federal buildings in various States unless they use their passport.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.