Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Rant - H1B/L1 is just corporate slavery, crap life

Rant - H1B/L1 is just corporate slavery, crap life

Old Nov 29th 2017, 11:31 pm
Forum Regular

britinusa777777755 is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Rant - H1B/L1 is just corporate slavery, crap life

Just want to warn anybody that is thinking of getting a visa to come to the USA. It isn't all it's cracked up to be....

You'll end up working for the same company, that company will rip you off. Even if they don't rip you off, you'll be stagnant in your career. If you are amazing at your job (aka: Apple/Google level) great you'll be able to work for an average company that will be happy to have you (aka: Target). You'll never be able to switch cities either. Yes I switched jobs on a visa, so I know it can be done.

If/when you finally get your green card you'll have spent so much time and effort, trying to get it that you'll feel like you have to stay in the USA to reap the benefits.

If I could have gone back in time, never would have come could have spent the same time/effort back in the UK and could have been working for BA or Barclays right now. I'd have a nice house, nice car, nice local pub and everything would have been fine.

Nobody and I mean nobody will understand your situation, because nobody else is stupid enough to be on a f**king visa for 5 years.

Rant over, sorry but had to get that off my chest.
Old Nov 30th 2017, 12:03 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rant - H1B/L1 is just corporate slavery, crap life

Rough day at the office?
Old Nov 30th 2017, 2:11 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

It’s been a couple of months since the last rant — he was due.
Old Nov 30th 2017, 11:37 am
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Just your experience. Don't assume it applies to everyone.
Old Nov 30th 2017, 12:37 pm
Forum Regular

deadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond repute

I was on the L1B

I worked for a company that treated me fantastically. Felt consistent career growth and expansion of responsibilities. Traveled to places of on their dime (Shanghai, Singapore, Buenos Aires, Sao Paolo, Mexico City and countless side trips during the weekends making the trips feel like mini vacations instead of work). They paid me well and I was treated like a "local" employee.

They even sponsored my green card, and I continued to work for them until an opportunity with another company (one of the ones you mentioned).

It's not all doom and gloom
Old Nov 30th 2017, 12:57 pm
i hate cabbage

Jack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, nah

Sounds like you got a crappy company - doesn't mean that's the same elsewhere. I moved on an L1 and never looked back.
Old Nov 30th 2017, 5:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

robtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond repute

I am on an L1 right now - gives me the best of both worlds. I am getting the company to sponsor a Green Card application but I retain the option the move back if I want to (not that I do). Sure, I came over eyes wide open that with just the L1 I am tied to my current employer, but right now we are good fit for each other. I have a much nicer house than I had in the UK, given where I have moved to and prices, I have a better car, I have a job I enjoy with lots of challenges to overcome, keeping it interesting, and there is a Sports Bar around the corner.
Old Dec 1st 2017, 2:25 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britinusa777777755
Just want to warn anybody that is thinking of getting a visa to come to the USA. It isn't all it's cracked up to be....

You'll end up working for the same company, that company will rip you off. Even if they don't rip you off, you'll be stagnant in your career. If you are amazing at your job (aka: Apple/Google level) great you'll be able to work for an average company that will be happy to have you (aka: Target). You'll never be able to switch cities either. Yes I switched jobs on a visa, so I know it can be done.

If/when you finally get your green card you'll have spent so much time and effort, trying to get it that you'll feel like you have to stay in the USA to reap the benefits.

If I could have gone back in time, never would have come could have spent the same time/effort back in the UK and could have been working for BA or Barclays right now. I'd have a nice house, nice car, nice local pub and everything would have been fine.

Nobody and I mean nobody will understand your situation, because nobody else is stupid enough to be on a f**king visa for 5 years.

Rant over, sorry but had to get that off my chest.
This really annoys me.
You are amongst one of the most FORTUNATE people on this planet. You have been given a mostly free excellent education and the opportunity that allowed you to move to a place that so many, many people would love to move to. You have been given a well paid job, you have healthcare, your children will have one of the best educations in the world. Your home is safe and not being bombed.

Go and do some volunteer work and find gratitude for what you have.
Old Dec 1st 2017, 1:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like you work for a shit company.

You got a green card... People literally die trying to enter the US and you're moaning because you don't get brown-nosed by people in a cushy corporate job.

Woe is you. If you hate it here that much... Go home?!
Old Dec 1st 2017, 8:07 pm
Banned

SueZ_1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
This really annoys me.
You are amongst one of the most FORTUNATE people on this planet.
It's all relative though.
Old Dec 1st 2017, 9:44 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SueZ_1
It's all relative though.
really?
I don't know about you but I only have to go back to my home village, anyone of the really nice places that I've lived in, to realise how bloody fortunate I am. I don't need to go to some godforsaken war-torn region., or a poor part of the city I currently live in.

If the OP is pissed off because of the H1-b conditions then perhaps he should look at the numbers of people who applied and didn't get it. What is it now? 17-1? He got the H1-b he wanted. I call that lucky. If he has a green card now, then that is super lucky. He got the golden ticket.

He's also referenced the L1 visa as slavery. crap life. What utter tosh.

By almost any measure you can think of, the OP is FORTUNATE. Unless, you're constantly trying to keep up with the jones' and then you're just pathetic.
Old Dec 1st 2017, 9:58 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

really?
I don't know about you but I only have to go back to my home village, anyone of the really nice places that I've lived in, to realise how bloody fortunate I am. I don't need to go to some godforsaken war-torn region., or a poor part of the city I currently live in.

If the OP is pissed off because of the H1-b conditions then perhaps he should look at the numbers of people who applied and didn't get it. What is it now? 17-1? He got the H1-b he wanted. I call that lucky. If he has a green card now, then that is super lucky. He got the golden ticket.

He's also referenced the L1 visa as slavery. crap life. What utter tosh.

By almost any measure you can think of, the OP is FORTUNATE. Unless, you're constantly trying to keep up with the jones' and then you're just pathetic.
The OP keeps starting these whining threads, but doesn’t appear to be planning to return to the UK. Surely, if he is so miserable, he should be packing his bags instead of sounding off on an Internet forum!
Old Dec 1st 2017, 10:21 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
The OP keeps starting these whining threads, but doesn’t appear to be planning to return to the UK. Surely, if he is so miserable, he should be packing his bags instead of sounding off on an Internet forum!
Waiting for green card m, placing bets on things being much better after that. Looking forward to earning ‘market rate’ and traveling to the U.K. often.

You’ll find me in the Back Home forum in 2 years if it didn’t work out here.

Not many places to sound off, other than an Internet forum with other expats. Maybe a therapist that was once himself on an H1B

Last edited by britinusa777777755; Dec 1st 2017 at 10:32 pm.
Old Dec 1st 2017, 10:33 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britinusa777777755
Waiting for green card m, placing bets on things being much better after that. Looking forward to earning ‘market rate’ and traveling to the U.K. often.

You’ll find me in the Back Home forum in 2 years if it didn’t work out here.

Not many places to sound off, other than an Internet forum with other expats. Maybe a therapist that was once himself on an H1B
There've been a few here asking out to get the US, so you never know. I don't know your situation and why you went from one shit job to another shit job rather than returning home but hope it all works out for you eventually.
Old Dec 1st 2017, 10:38 pm
Forum Regular

This really annoys me.
You are amongst one of the most FORTUNATE people on this planet. You have been given a mostly free excellent education and the opportunity that allowed you to move to a place that so many, many people would love to move to. You have been given a well paid job, you have healthcare, your children will have one of the best educations in the world. Your home is safe and not being bombed.

Go and do some volunteer work and find gratitude for what you have.
True no doubt life could always be a thousand times worse. I ride the NYC subway with homeless people everyday, their lives are infinitely worse of course.

It’s not often I look back on my achievements, forever looking up at the people who have it even better.

Thanks for the perspective

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.