Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

RAF pension in the USA

RAF pension in the USA

Old Apr 18th 2008, 1:14 pm
Just Joined

lrk0909 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RAF pension in the USA

Does anyone know how the RAF pension works as far as transferring it to the USA and how it is taxed?
Any light on the subject would be appreciated!
Old Apr 18th 2008, 3:18 pm
Forum Regular

robnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to all
Default Re: RAF pension in the USA

This would be very useful actually...

I'm a long way off from sending my RAF pension paperwork back (another 33 years!) but I too will require my RAF pension to be paid to me in the US...
Old Apr 18th 2008, 3:20 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lrk0909
Does anyone know how the RAF pension works as far as transferring it to the USA and how it is taxed?
Money paid from the public purse for service to the crown isn't taxable in the US
Old Apr 18th 2008, 3:20 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lrk0909

I can tell you about RCAF pension from Canada. It is deposited in his Canadian account, tax is withheld, and he files a return in Canada. Here in the US, he places on the 1040 tax form and then writes it off because it is under the $80,000.
Old Apr 18th 2008, 5:05 pm
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

If it's handled the same way as the Soc. Sec. pension, you can have in direct deposited into your USA account, in dollars.
Old Apr 18th 2008, 9:52 pm
Just Joined

lrk0909 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks to all...it doesn't sound too bad. Appreciate your help!
Chocks away!