Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Quick question re:SSN

Quick question re:SSN

Old Nov 20th 2017, 12:55 am
Forum Regular

Tillymin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Quick question re:SSN

We arrived in the US on Friday. I know the advice is to wait ten days before applying for your SSN. However, I have checked online and our I-94 status is all updated. Does this mean we will be ok to apply tomorrow? We don't have access to a printer to print off our record of admission but I assume they will just check online.
Old Nov 20th 2017, 1:05 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quick question re:SSN

I guess that depends if you are the SSA system yet, which I would think you wouldn't be. Nothing to stop you going in and asking, they will either be able to process the application, or not.
Old Nov 20th 2017, 1:08 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

You should be fine. I personally would try to print out the i-94 but you're in there.
Old Nov 20th 2017, 10:15 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Whilst you need to take an I-94, it's not the system they use to check.

They use the SAVE system and that's the one that can take some time to be synced up.

If it's not yet in SAVE then it will go through manual review and can take a few weeks.
Old Nov 20th 2017, 11:04 am
Forum Regular

Chins is an unknown quantity at this point

I went back to the Social to see if they could see me on the system and in the vain hope they might have my number.

This was 18 days after entry. They still couldn’t see me and told me to come back in 3 days. Back in U.K. so cant
Old Nov 20th 2017, 11:59 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by tom169
Whilst you need to take an I-94, it's not the system they use to check.

They use the SAVE system and that's the one that can take some time to be synced up.

If it's not yet in SAVE then it will go through manual review and can take a few weeks.
Thanks Tom. We are not yet showing on there so will wait before applying for my husband's SSN. Whilst packing up our house I found the SSN I had when I was here on a J-1 visa 26 years ago. (Not the card, just a note I'd made of the number) It's in my maiden name so just need to get it changed. Would I need to be showing on the SAVE system before doing that?
Old Nov 20th 2017, 12:05 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tillymin
Thanks Tom. We are not yet showing on there so will wait before applying for my husband's SSN. Whilst packing up our house I found the SSN I had when I was here on a J-1 visa 26 years ago. (Not the card, just a note I'd made of the number) It's in my maiden name so just need to get it changed. Would I need to be showing on the SAVE system before doing that?

No, you don't have to be on the SAVE system. The number is yours for life. Since you don't have the card, you will need to either open a SSA account online and request a new card to be sent to your US address or go in person. Go to the SS office with just the number can be a pita but worth a try if you want. Bring your marriage certificate to change the name on the card. A new card with the new name will be sent to you with the same number.

Last edited by Rete; Nov 20th 2017 at 12:42 pm.
Old Nov 20th 2017, 12:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
No, you don't have to be on the SAVE system. The number is yours for life. Since you don't have the card, you will need to either open a SSA account online and request a new card to be sent to your US address. I'm afraid to say to go to the SS office with just the number but worth a try if you want. Bring your marriage certificate to change the name on the card. A new card with the new name will be sent to you with the same number.
Correct, SAVE mentioned is just for new immigrants getting one for the first time.
Old Nov 22nd 2017, 9:12 pm
Forum Regular

Just to update- I apprehensively went to the Social Security office this morning. After hearing horror stories from various sources I wasn't looking forward to it at all! However, I'm pleased to say that I only had to wait 15 minutes to be seen. The two members of staff I saw could not have been more friendly and helpful and my new card should be with me within a fortnight. One more job crossed off the list!
Old Nov 22nd 2017, 10:12 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Off topic but I don't know why people are so anxious about going to the social security office. Yes, there are government employees who earn their salary by just occupying seats and being pricks (we meet one but found a wonderful office in the next town). There are many government employees who truly earn their salaries and are human and helpful.

Glad you had success with your getting your updated social security card.
Old Nov 23rd 2017, 1:01 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Off topic but I don't know why people are so anxious about going to the social security office. Yes, there are government employees who earn their salary by just occupying seats and being pricks (we meet one but found a wonderful office in the next town). There are many government employees who truly earn their salaries and are human and helpful.

Glad you had success with your getting your updated social security card.
my experiences have always been good - however a certain amount of trepidation each time is normal. Have I got all the right documents is obviously the biggest concern. Don't forget that most people get to the social security offices after having been through lengthy, rigourous and stressful immigration application and may still expect the SS office visit to be the same.
I also help international clients and not all the officials are up to speed with the paperwork. Italy now issues marriage/birth certificates with a digital seal - no longer a stamped one for example, which has proven difficult.
Old Nov 23rd 2017, 1:10 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Off topic but I don't know why people are so anxious about going to the social security office. Yes, there are government employees who earn their salary by just occupying seats and being pricks (we meet one but found a wonderful office in the next town).
I went earlier this year to the local office and the lady there was super-nice, not at all prick-like and really helpful. She didn't even ask for any of the supporting documents that I had been told to bring, for a reissuance of my card, which had apparently been issued in error with the ("only valid for work with. ..." wording on it, which I now believe was never applicable). I suspect that she usually spends much of her day hearing complaints and/or dealing with people with a limited grasp of English.
Old Nov 23rd 2017, 8:24 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Different SSA offices can vary. My local SSA office is a PITA, but the one in Pasadena is fine.