Reload this Page >

Question on renewing passport in the USA

Question on renewing passport in the USA

Old Aug 31st 2017, 4:18 pm
Just Joined

stubbzj12 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Question on renewing passport in the USA

Originally Posted by durham_lad
I sat with my son as he did the online application and it lead him through the process, and then informed him that he would need a countersignature. I guess that if you stated that your current photograph was going to be a close enough match they could decide it wasn't good enough when you mailed in the documents, then they will simply ask for the extra paperwork.
Ahh right. Was that his first passport? Or to get it renewed? Because I know you need one if it's a new passport.
Old Aug 31st 2017, 9:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stubbzj12
Ahh right. Was that his first passport? Or to get it renewed? Because I know you need one if it's a new passport.
It was a renewal, just like his sister in 2014 who also renewed her passport and also needed a countersignature. She got her boss in California to do the verification and countersignature. In both cases they had let their passports expire.
Old Aug 31st 2017, 9:14 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

My daughter's passport had also expired and it was her first adult one when we renewed it back in May. No countersignature required. It does seem a bit hit and miss about who has to get a signature and who doesn't
Old Aug 31st 2017, 9:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
My daughter's passport had also expired and it was her first adult one when we renewed it back in May. No countersignature required. It does seem a bit hit and miss about who has to get a signature and who doesn't
Exactly, that's why I think Stubbz should do the application online and see if it requires a countersignature. It's always good to think about it ahead of time and have a plan should they come back and ask for one for any reason after he sends in the old passport.
Old Sep 23rd 2017, 1:33 am
Forum Regular

rew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud of

Just a data point on passport renewal for anyone who's interested:

Applied online for renewal of my unexpired passport. Took own photo against pale wall, uploaded it as part of the application.

No paper form to fill out, no countersignature, no photos to send, just sent the old passport. Application fee GBP 102.86 including return courier.

Application submitted: 12 September 2017
Old passport sent (DHL Express Worldwide from UPS store, ~$70): 13 September
Old passport received: 15 September 2017
Joined processing queue: 15 September 2017
Application approved: 18 September 2017
Passport printed and sent: 19 September 2017
New passport received (DHL, signature required): 22 September 2017

Still in shock at how efficient it was!
Old Oct 19th 2017, 5:02 pm
Just Joined

Hey guys. I really do apologies for bringing a old thread up. I know people don't like it.

I STILL haven't got round to do it. I've been that busy, I've just forgot about it. I want to get this done today for definite. Yet, I still can't get a counter signature.

I'm thinking of just sending off for it and hope for the best. I don't want to send it and something comes up. I really, really don't.

Again, I've changed a lot since in my appearance. I've put weight on, and I look different.

I'd like to upload the photo online, but I already have them printed from the store. Should I cut and scan them with a scanner, and upload by that?

Any advice would be great.

Thank you again!
Old Oct 19th 2017, 7:16 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

My old passport photo, taken having just turned 20, was of such poor quality you could barely tell it was me and it was regularly commented on by immigration officers when pootling around Europe when it was nearing expiry. Renewed it at 30 using the Fast Track service, no counter signature, no problem.

Last edited by BritInParis; Oct 19th 2017 at 7:54 pm.
Old Oct 19th 2017, 7:42 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BritInParis
My old passport photo of me having just turned 20 was of such poor quality you could barely tell it was me and it was regularly commented on by immigration officers when pootling around Europe when it nearing expiry. Renewed it at 30 using the Fast Track service, no counter signature, no problem.
Thanks for the reply! I've filled in everything, ready to send! I'll let you know the progress!
Old Nov 3rd 2017, 6:23 pm
Just Joined

Hey everyone. This will be the last post on this thread.

My new passport has arrived. It arrived yesterday. I have to say, I'm really impressed with how quick this process was. It would of been here a day sooner, but the new passport got sent to the incorrect facility.

I sent my old passport and documents on the 19th of October. It took a few days to get there (like a week or so, can't really give you a specific time period). When it arrived and they received my deceleration and documents, it took literally a day to print my new passport and dispatch it. It then took like 3 days to be delivered to me. Again, I'm really impressed. No issues at all. I didn't even need a counter signature. But to the people needing to send off for their new passport, I can't really recommend you not doing a counter signature because every situation is different. So, I'd probably do one just to be on the safe side.

If maybe I went with someone like UPS to deliver, it may have been here sooner.

Thanks to everyone for the advice and replies, much appreciated!
Old Nov 3rd 2017, 6:35 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Glad to hear it
Old Nov 4th 2017, 8:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Good to hear, thanks for the update.