Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Question on medical insurance

Question on medical insurance

Old Sep 7th 2015, 2:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

BigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question on medical insurance

It's all good! Quick question in regards to medical insurance though - I saw on the wiki on this forum for health insurance that there are insurance providers for immigrants moving to the US who aren't yet full USC - I had a brief look and selected a start date and an end date that totalled up to just under a year in duration (363 days or something) and was quoted like $900 - that seems really cheap compared to other places I've been looking at - would that be annually or monthly? I'm looking to pay the medical insurance annually you see, rather than monthly
Old Sep 7th 2015, 2:28 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
No. You can only file a tax return once a year. But you can make estimated quarterly tax payments to the IRS. This is sort of hit-and-miss each year, unless you know exactly how much you'll earn from year to year. My husband's income fluctuates so much that he doesn't pay the quarterly estimated tax amount...we just wait until the end of the year and see how it turns out on the tax return.

It's best to keep track of your taxable income as the tax year goes along and adjust your estimated quarterly taxes so you don't pay a penalty for not paying enough at the end of the year. The penalties are not big, but why have to pay them.

I did some contracting work this year and I've only made one estimated tax payment because I estimate that will cover them all. You pay both income and payroll taxes with a single check.

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040es.pdf

Also you will have to pay state taxes as well, but if you use a software package like Turbotax all the information from the Federal return will be transferred and it's really straight forward.
Old Sep 7th 2015, 2:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

BigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks! Do I need to pay the state tax monthly or just with all my other taxes?
Old Sep 7th 2015, 2:31 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigBoss1984
It's all good! Quick question in regards to medical insurance though - I saw on the wiki on this forum for health insurance that there are insurance providers for immigrants moving to the US who aren't yet full USC - I had a brief look and selected a start date and an end date that totalled up to just under a year in duration (363 days or something) and was quoted like $900 - that seems really cheap compared to other places I've been looking at - would that be annually or monthly? I'm looking to pay the medical insurance annually you see, rather than monthly
That interim insurance likely is not "ACA compliant", so you would be assessed a tax penalty for not having the sort of insurance mandated by the Affordable Care Act.
Old Sep 7th 2015, 2:31 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think that one will apply to you, because you will be a US PR very soon (i.e. within 6 months of filing AOS). Your intent is not to be a visitor, but to live in the USA permanently (even if your plans change later on and you move back to the UK).

You probably need to get in touch with that company directly, explain your scenario, and see if that coverage would be for you. If it is, perhaps they will let you pay annually up front, rather than making monthly payments.

Someone mentioned that your soon to be spouse is a student. Most colleges have student medical insurance. You should first look into that to make a fair comparison.

Rene
Old Sep 7th 2015, 2:32 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks! Do I need to pay the state tax monthly or just with all my other taxes?
With all the other taxes at the end of the year. As a self employed person, you don't pay any tax monthly. At most, you pay estimated quarterly taxes...and if you don't do that, you don't do anything until the end of the year when you file the 1040 tax return (and Schedule C for business).

Rene
Old Sep 7th 2015, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by nun
It's best to keep track of your taxable income as the tax year goes along....
Definitely this! I keep a spreadsheet going for my husband which shows his monthly income and business expenses. Then I just give that detailed spreadsheet to our CPA when we do our yearly tax return. Saves having to sort through a ton of receipts and all that at the end of the year!

Rene
Old Sep 7th 2015, 4:58 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
..... you might have to move back to the UK ahead of your spouse, so you can financially sponsor her immigrant visa. Make sure you look ahead to what that process is; my understanding is that it's not as easy as immigrating to the USA. .....
IMO that is incorrect as the rules are similar to those for immigration to the US i.e. you need income, or failing that equivalent assets to sponsor a non-European spouse for a British immigration visa.

The argument that it is difficult is put around by those that think the required income level is too high (it is actually pretty low, barely more than I earned labouring in a warehouse and loading lorries in a small provincial city more than 25 years ago during the worst unemployment crisis since the great depression. It is also pretty much the same salary that my first employer was paying new graduates in the early 1990's). Similarly, the "assets" figure is higher than the US figure. The biggest complicating factor is that joint sponsors are not allowed.
Old Sep 7th 2015, 5:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
IMO that is incorrect as the rules are similar to those for immigration to the US i.e. you need income, or failing that equivalent assets to sponsor a non-European spouse for a British immigration visa.

The argument that it is difficult is put around by those that think the required income level is too high (it is actually pretty low, barely more than I earned labouring in a warehouse and loading lorries in a small provincial city more than 25 years ago during the worst unemployment crisis since the great depression. It is also pretty much the same salary that my first employer was paying new graduates in the early 1990's). Similarly, the "assets" figure is higher than the US figure. The biggest complicating factor is that joint sponsors are not allowed.
I think the argument is that is has suddenly got a lot higher than it used to be. Yes comparatively a low earnings threshold but if you have no job to go to it can be problematic.
Old Sep 7th 2015, 7:42 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
I think the argument is that is has suddenly got a lot higher than it used to be. Yes comparatively a low earnings threshold but if you have no job to go to it can be problematic.
Yes the difficulty comes if you don't have a job to return to in the UK or you are low paid on something like a zero hours contract. That means that you will be separated from your family for sometime. If you are low waged you are effectively barred from bringing a non EU spouse into the UK unless you go the "Singh" route.
Old Sep 8th 2015, 3:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Cheap plans are usually classified as "high deductible" plans, and if you have a high deductible plan then the IRS allows you to put upto about $6,800 in a Health Savings Account pre-tax. Then you pay any medical expenses out of your (tax free) HSA.
For 2015, the HSA limit is actually $6650 for a family. There's a much lower limit of $3350 for a single person.
Old Oct 6th 2015, 12:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jenninedinburgh
I am not sure what I did incorrectly, but when did a quote last night, I got a $455 payment per month on the bronze plan with a $13,000 deductible!!!
Pulaski is probably thinking of premiums for employer-provided HSA coverage (or insurance costs are REALLY low in SC!). Your quote sounds about right to me.

Our ACA Bronze plan during a period of unemployment earlier this year was $715 a month for 2 adults mid-40s and 2 kids. The deductible on this was $6k/ $12k for individual/ family.

Our current employer-provided HSA plan is $170 a month with a comically low deductible, $1-2k or something. The amount the employer kicks in makes a HUGE difference, not to mention even that $170 were paying is pre-tax, so even 'lower' in real terms compared to after-tax private ACA payments.

On the plus side, going down the HSA route for some years previously gave us a nice pot of money to pay the Obamacare premiums, so they didn't have to come out of everyday savings (you can only do this if claiming unemployment benefit).
Old Oct 6th 2015, 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by kodokan
Pulaski is probably thinking of premiums for employer-provided HSA coverage (or insurance costs are REALLY low in SC!). Your quote sounds about right to me. .....
Without knowing how many people are covered, it isn't possible to determine whether the figures are high or low, though they seem on the high side to me, especially for a deductible of $13,000.

I don't know anything about medical insurance in SC as I have never lived there.
Old Oct 6th 2015, 4:58 pm
Forum Regular

jenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond repute

Without knowing how many people are covered, it isn't possible to determine whether the figures are high or low, though they seem on the high side to me, especially for a deductible of $13,000.

I don't know anything about medical insurance in SC as I have never lived there.
Hi there,

I deleted my post as I worked out my error. It was for two of us (my husband and I) so I guess it looks about right for the bronze plan.

Thank you
Old Oct 6th 2015, 6:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know anything about medical insurance in NC as I have never lived there.
Oops, fixed it. How could I get the official BE Most Desirable State to Live wrong?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.