Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Question on medical insurance

Question on medical insurance

Old Sep 6th 2015, 6:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

BigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Question on medical insurance

Hey guys,

I'll be moving to the United States in the near future - and working remotely for a UK company, so as a sort of rough estimate how much will I be looking at for medical insurance per year? I'm 23, male, no serious medical conditions (have asthma) and am active.

I know no one can give me an exact number but any sort of guidance or sites would be good?

Thanks
Old Sep 6th 2015, 7:01 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question on medical insurance

It depends how much risk you're prepared to take on (the "deductible" is how much you pay each year before the insurance kicks in. I would guess around $500/mth if the deductible is only $1,000. If you take a higher deductible ("bronze plan" in ACA terminology), say $4,000 then you might only pay $150/mth.

The numbers can be deceptive, and IMO a lot of people are suckered into buying higher cost insurance than they need. Using the numbers I gave above, if you can save $300/mth in insurance premiums, you could pay $3,599 each year out of pocket and still be better off with a $150/mth policy than buying a $450/mth policy, where you might have to pay the first $1,000 anyway.
Old Sep 6th 2015, 9:50 pm
Banned

gcjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Go for a cheap plan you are fit, healthy and most plans will cover you for a calamity. For small things just pay out of pocket at an urgent care centre or similar thing
Old Sep 6th 2015, 10:04 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gcjunkie
Go for a cheap plan you are fit, healthy and most plans will cover you for a calamity. For small things just pay out of pocket at an urgent care centre or similar thing
Cheap plans are usually classified as "high deductible" plans, and if you have a high deductible plan then the IRS allows you to put upto about $6,800 in a Health Savings Account pre-tax. Then you pay any medical expenses out of your (tax free) HSA.
Old Sep 6th 2015, 11:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

retzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond repute

Prices and plans will vary by state. Start here, which should redirect you as appropriate.

Originally Posted by Pulaski
It depends how much risk you're prepared to take on (the "deductible" is how much you pay each year before the insurance kicks in. I would guess around $500/mth if the deductible is only $1,000. If you take a higher deductible ("bronze plan" in ACA terminology), say $4,000 then you might only pay $150/mth.
Last I checked, there was nowhere near that big of a saving on a bronze plan. For me, bronze was something like $380pm ($6,750 deductible) vs silver $415pm ($500); I chose the latter.

The OP's income, immigration status, and destination state will affect his eligibility for a subsidy through a marketplace. I doubt he'll get coverage for much less than $400 without one.
Old Sep 6th 2015, 11:41 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Hi and welcome,

We have a WIKI on Health Insurance that answers some of the questions about the process and introduces a few terms you might need to help you shopping for insurance.

Health Insurance : British Expat Wiki

You say "working remotely" in your post, which raises a bit of a warning flag I wanted to mention. It is entirely possible to work remotely for a company overseas while in the United States, but there is a rather curious tax implication that may affect you personally in this sort of arrangement.

In a very general sense (just trying to give you a rough idea) the US government and many other governments in the world consider your location of "work" to be where you are located while doing your day-to-day kind of work, with some exceptions. The location of the "work" being performed is in the US, regardless of the location of the employer or where your paycheck is sent. This creates a requirement for certain MANDATORY obligations on the part of the EMPLOYER. They need to contribute the employer's contribution to your retirement (social security) and unemployment insurance for example, and they'll likely have to declare that they have an employee in the US and thus a 'presence' in the US, which frankly is something most companies would like to avoid.

If they don't do this, or if they decide to consider you a 'contractor', then you, personally, are responsible for this employer's contribution in what is known as the self-employment tax. This will be an added 6.2% of your income that you have to pay as a tax come the end of the year.

My apologies if you've already considered this as part of your budgeting, but I just wanted to mention it in case as it can be a rather substantial amount, rivaling the cost of health insurance in some cases. There are exceptions for some types of workers (temporary visitors, journalists, athletes, etc). If your company has a US office they may end up putting you on the payroll there which would be nice as then you could get access to their health insurance plan they offer their US employees. If it is more of a contractor arrangement you'll have to source insurance on your own through the exchanges or on the private market like ehealthinsurance.com.

You might want to talk to the HR team about 'topping up' your payroll to include this self-employment tax responsibility or see if they have another solution. If you have more details of your work we might be able to give you some more guidance, but the professionals might have it sorted a bit better.

Good luck with the move.

Last edited by penguinsix; Sep 6th 2015 at 11:44 pm.
Old Sep 7th 2015, 1:11 am
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Does this link work?
https://www.ehealthinsurance.com/ehi...e=best-sellers

Shows plans available for a 23 year old non-smoker in Maine...
Old Sep 7th 2015, 1:47 am

thinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Obamacare:
https://www.healthcare.gov/see-plans/
Old Sep 7th 2015, 3:25 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Assuming you have all the visa stuff worked out it's good that you are thinking about health insurance. The practicalities of getting insurance will depend on the state where you live, but you are basically looking at buying an Obamacare (ACA) health insurance plan and that might costs $5k in premiums and another $5k in deductibles. Those are very rough estimates as there are hundreds of plans and costs vary greatly across the US.

You will also have to make sure you have your taxes sorted out. As a US resident you must pay US and state income tax and payroll taxes. You must get the people that pay you in the UK to realize that you are not liable to UK tax on work you perform in the US while US resident. Also get your NI contributions sorted
Old Sep 7th 2015, 6:54 am
BE Enthusiast

BigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
Hi and welcome,

We have a WIKI on Health Insurance that answers some of the questions about the process and introduces a few terms you might need to help you shopping for insurance.

Health Insurance : British Expat Wiki

You say "working remotely" in your post, which raises a bit of a warning flag I wanted to mention. It is entirely possible to work remotely for a company overseas while in the United States, but there is a rather curious tax implication that may affect you personally in this sort of arrangement.

In a very general sense (just trying to give you a rough idea) the US government and many other governments in the world consider your location of "work" to be where you are located while doing your day-to-day kind of work, with some exceptions. The location of the "work" being performed is in the US, regardless of the location of the employer or where your paycheck is sent. This creates a requirement for certain MANDATORY obligations on the part of the EMPLOYER. They need to contribute the employer's contribution to your retirement (social security) and unemployment insurance for example, and they'll likely have to declare that they have an employee in the US and thus a 'presence' in the US, which frankly is something most companies would like to avoid.

If they don't do this, or if they decide to consider you a 'contractor', then you, personally, are responsible for this employer's contribution in what is known as the self-employment tax. This will be an added 6.2% of your income that you have to pay as a tax come the end of the year.

My apologies if you've already considered this as part of your budgeting, but I just wanted to mention it in case as it can be a rather substantial amount, rivaling the cost of health insurance in some cases. There are exceptions for some types of workers (temporary visitors, journalists, athletes, etc). If your company has a US office they may end up putting you on the payroll there which would be nice as then you could get access to their health insurance plan they offer their US employees. If it is more of a contractor arrangement you'll have to source insurance on your own through the exchanges or on the private market like ehealthinsurance.com.

You might want to talk to the HR team about 'topping up' your payroll to include this self-employment tax responsibility or see if they have another solution. If you have more details of your work we might be able to give you some more guidance, but the professionals might have it sorted a bit better.

Good luck with the move.
Hey, thanks for this - I'll probably be considered as a contractor, so I assume this means I'll be paying US taxes, and I'll be responsible for all my own taxes?
Old Sep 7th 2015, 7:50 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigBoss1984
Hey, thanks for this - I'll probably be considered as a contractor, so I assume this means I'll be paying US taxes, and I'll be responsible for all my own taxes?
What visa are you getting? I know it's been asked, but so far no answer from you. might make a difference.
Old Sep 7th 2015, 7:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Sorry man - my apologies, I'm applying for a K-1 Fiance visa - with the intention of marrying upon arrival pretty much right away after I get into the USA
Old Sep 7th 2015, 9:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Also - I checked the wiki and looked at the two temporary insurance providers, as we won't be in the USA permanently (not yet anyways) - and we plan to move back to the UK, and was quoted as $930 for a years coverage under Inbound Immigrant Insurance...does that sound right?
Old Sep 7th 2015, 1:15 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigBoss1984
Also - I checked the wiki and looked at the two temporary insurance providers, as we won't be in the USA permanently (not yet anyways) - and we plan to move back to the UK, and was quoted as $930 for a years coverage under Inbound Immigrant Insurance...does that sound right?
So what exactly are your plans? Will you be just visiting the US to get married and then moving back to the UK?
Old Sep 7th 2015, 1:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hey, nah we're moving there, getting married - staying for 12-18 months until my fiance has finished her degree, then we'll be moving back to the UK for a few years - before ultimately ending up in the U.S again!

Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.