British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Price of gas update... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/price-gas-update-565727/)

Paul S Oct 8th 2008 12:17 pm

Re: Price of gas update...

Originally Posted by kaseystaff (Post 6854862)
clangers are the best; bit barmy, but what the hell!:thumbsup:

go read "Seeing Things" the Oliver Postgate biography and you'll soon see why they are so barmy

snowbunny Oct 9th 2008 7:29 am

About dropped my teeth tonight.... $2.99 at the corner.

Michael Oct 9th 2008 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by snowbunny (Post 6858693)
About dropped my teeth tonight.... $2.99 at the corner.

That seems amazingly cheap. The price for a gallon of unleaded gasoline on the November futures market is currently $2.02. To that you add 38.4 cents per gallon gasoline tax (federal & Texas state tax) plus approximately 25 cents sales tax (8.25% in Houston) which already comes to $2.65 per gallon. That leaves only 34 cents per gallon for distribution which includes the cost of the jobber (company that purchases and delivers the gasoline from the refiner to the retailer) as well as the profit and costs of the retailer and refiner.

another bloody yank Oct 9th 2008 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by Michael (Post 6859625)
That seems amazingly cheap. The price for a gallon of unleaded gasoline on the November futures market is currently $2.02. To that you add 38.4 cents per gallon gasoline tax (federal & Texas state tax) plus approximately 25 cents sales tax (8.25% in Houston) which already comes to $2.65 per gallon. That leaves only 34 cents per gallon for distribution which includes the cost of the jobber (company that purchases and delivers the gasoline from the refiner to the retailer) as well as the profit and costs of the retailer and refiner.

$2.98 at home, still $3.28 at work though.

Rete Oct 9th 2008 1:05 pm

Here in the 'burbs of NYC the lowest was $3.39 down the street from me last night for regular.

cindyabs Oct 9th 2008 1:34 pm

3.23 down the road from me at work-they changed the price twice yesterday, lowering it.

tamms_1965 Oct 9th 2008 1:56 pm

The lowest in the area (10-mi radius) is $2.79 today, but it is $2.99 where I live/work.

tamms_1965 Oct 9th 2008 2:04 pm

You can check your local prices before you fill up at http://www.gasbuddy.com/.

Just type in your (or work's) zip code.

nethead Oct 9th 2008 4:50 pm

$3.09 this morning.

Marmalade Oct 10th 2008 2:51 am

$3.39 just over the Mississippi River from St. Louis, on the Illinois side.

Bob Oct 10th 2008 3:11 am

gas buddy is saying there's a place for $2.99 across town, but you'd be barmy to go there...

around here, a place just went down to $3.12 which I thought was really good...so filled the tank up, it was running on fumes though :D

snowbunny Oct 10th 2008 4:32 am

Originally Posted by Michael (Post 6859625)

We live about 150 miles from the refineries.

frrussre Oct 10th 2008 5:47 am

Fort Lauderdale $3.40 ish. Why has it not dropped to $2.50 or less? Barrel of oil down to $87. Seems like they put it up in a rush & down at at a snails pace.
I sometimes wonder, who is looking out for Joe public.
Reg. Frank R.

cindyabs Oct 10th 2008 9:21 am

Originally Posted by frrussre (Post 6861784)
Fort Lauderdale $3.40 ish. Why has it not dropped to $2.50 or less? Barrel of oil down to $87. Seems like they put it up in a rush & down at at a snails pace.
I sometimes wonder, who is looking out for Joe public.
Reg. Frank R.

I think we're on our own mate. :(

Think it's time to circle the wagons-seriously.

PS Good to see you, :)

mommapudding Oct 10th 2008 10:14 am

I just wish I could find some, a lot of the pumps in town are closed, those that aren't only have regular gas, my car needs premium,:thumbdown: I managed to find one pump that had silver so I put in a quarter of a tank, hope it's ok - Chapel Hill, NC