Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Price of gas update...

Price of gas update...

Old Feb 1st 2017, 12:48 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Price of gas update...

Originally Posted by Pulaski
It was $2.199 at the start of the year, then dropped to $2.099, and by a week ago it was $2.069, but since then it has dropped another cent every couple of days, and I paid $2.039 on Sunday evening.
Aaand $2.029 this evening!
Old Feb 1st 2017, 11:31 am
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Aaand $2.029 this evening!
Mine was down to $2.09 yesterday having dropped 1 cent a day for several days, now this morning it is back up to $2.15.
Old Feb 1st 2017, 1:26 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

I saw a 'cash only' price of $1.86 on the way into work this morning, but **** gas stations that penalize the use of cards, so they aren't getting my money for the sake of 65c.
Old Feb 1st 2017, 1:51 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
I saw a 'cash only' price of $1.86 .....
They might as well hang a sign outside that says, "Bring a gun and rob us". IMO that alone is a good enough reason to not want to hang around anywhere near such a gas station.

Most business owners who encourage the use of cash don't appreciate the additional risks that they are creating for themselves and their employees.
Old Feb 1st 2017, 1:54 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

They might as well hang a sign outside that says, "Bring a gun and rob us". IMO that alone is a good enough reason to not want to hang around anywhere near such a gas station.
Well, this one's right on a main road (in suburban terms anyway, but it gets pretty busy), right next to a Walgreens, two other strip malls and another gas station, so it's kind of protected by location as far as robberies go, I think.

Card penalty aside, it's kind of a pain in the arse to get in and out of, so I'd still probably go to the 7/11 where there's more room, even if it is 5c more per gallon.
Old Feb 1st 2017, 1:56 pm

Well, this one's right on a main road (in suburban terms anyway, but it gets pretty busy), right next to a Walgreens, two other strip malls and another gas station, so it's kind of protected by location as far as robberies go, I think. .....
You're assuming armed robbers are logical. .... I may be guilty of that too.
Old Feb 1st 2017, 2:01 pm
I have a comma problem

You're assuming armed robbers are logical. .... I may be guilty of that too.
True, but I think even the most desperate would be 'scared off', so to speak, by the traffic, and the fact that there's a police station less than a mile away

Especially when there are shitholes like Waukegan and North Chicago with plenty of places to rob just 25 minutes down the road ...
Old Feb 1st 2017, 2:08 pm

True, but I think even the most desperate would be 'scared off', so to speak, by the traffic, and the fact that there's a police station less than a mile away .....
True. .... The only gas station I know of that offers a cash discount is directly, and I mean directly, across the road from a police station!
Old Feb 1st 2017, 2:10 pm
I have a comma problem

True. .... The only gas station I know of that offers a cash discount is directly, and I mean directly, across the road from a police station!
That's thinking ahead.
Old Feb 1st 2017, 6:32 pm
Forum Regular

The Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really nice

I saw a 'cash only' price of $1.86 on the way into work this morning, but **** gas stations that penalize the use of cards, so they aren't getting my money for the sake of 65c.
If only I could get that around here - cheapest here is 2.19 from the local 7-11. Much better than paying £1.17 per litre back home however
Old Feb 1st 2017, 6:35 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by The Moose
If only I could get that around here - cheapest here is 2.19 from the local 7-11. Much better than paying £1.17 per litre back home however
That's the discounted 'cash only' price, of course. In the town where I work, the cheapest 'standard' price is $1.91. Gets up into the $2.09 region closer to home.

All (far) north Chicago 'burbs, for reference. Like within 10 miles of the WI state line far north.
Old Feb 1st 2017, 6:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Was pretty tilted the other day after going to a Shell with my app that was meant to give 30c a gallon off to be told that I needed a physical card and my "alt ID" (phone number) wouldn't be accepted. Couldn't be arsed to get one and link it up so just paid whatever it was.... $2 I think.
Old Feb 1st 2017, 7:10 pm
Forum Regular

The Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really nice

That's the discounted 'cash only' price, of course. In the town where I work, the cheapest 'standard' price is $1.91. Gets up into the $2.09 region closer to home.

All (far) north Chicago 'burbs, for reference. Like within 10 miles of the WI state line far north.
I'd still pay cash
Old Feb 1st 2017, 7:12 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by The Moose
I'd still pay cash
I rarely carry cash, and the 65c saving on a fill-up would be wiped out by the ATM fees
Old Feb 1st 2017, 7:20 pm
Forum Regular

I rarely carry cash, and the 65c saving on a fill-up would be wiped out by the ATM fees
Fair enough - I'm a habitual cash carrier I'm afraid. Always a few hundred in one pocket or another, glove box etc

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.