Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

PAYG vs eSIM

PAYG vs eSIM

Old Jul 12th 2023, 3:50 am
Forum Regular

McBadger is on a distinguished road
Default PAYG vs eSIM

I have an EE PAYG SIM (and number) that I've managed to keep alive for more than 10 years.

Having taking an iPhone update in the past year, I now find myself with a phone that only takes eSIMs.

Looking through the UK, it seems that PAYG + eSIM is a near impossible challenge, so far I've only found lyca mobile, but have no clue about them.

Is there something I'm missing here?
Old Jul 12th 2023, 9:41 am
Forum Regular

porkedpie has a reputation beyond reputeporkedpie has a reputation beyond reputeporkedpie has a reputation beyond reputeporkedpie has a reputation beyond reputeporkedpie has a reputation beyond reputeporkedpie has a reputation beyond reputeporkedpie has a reputation beyond reputeporkedpie has a reputation beyond reputeporkedpie has a reputation beyond reputeporkedpie has a reputation beyond reputeporkedpie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PAYG vs eSIM

No, I found the exact same. It's very annoying, and I'm annoyed at myself for getting a US iPhone which doesn't have a sim tray (should have got one while visiting the UK or Canada). I am assuming that eventually some one will start doing PAYG eSIM, but not yet.
Old Jul 13th 2023, 6:41 am
Forum Regular

ckusa is an unknown quantity at this point

Same. Just bought a new phone - 'dual SIM' - except that really it's one 'real' SIM and one eSIM. My UK number is PAYG - so that is my physical SIM: just hoping that when I get back to the US that it works with my US provider (!) - which is not PAYG, but had issues in the past.
Old Jul 30th 2023, 11:41 am
Forum Regular

McBadger is on a distinguished road

In what I can only describe as a very happy result, in LHR T5 the company "simLocal" offers an EE PAYG eSim (see photo!).

I chatted with the guy about this a bit, seemingly it's a simLocal airport-only special... note the simLocal/EE branding.

I asked about keeping my existing physical SIM EE number but he couldn't do it and asked me to try a EE store.

In the EE store in London, they don't sell these SIMs, and they can't transfer numbers to this PAYG eSim. (All they can offer to do is to convert a PAYG physical Sim to a monthly eSim...).

Looks like I got a new number.

Old Jul 30th 2023, 12:08 pm
Forum Regular

ckusa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ckusa
Same. Just bought a new phone - 'dual SIM' - except that really it's one 'real' SIM and one eSIM. My UK number is PAYG - so that is my physical SIM: just hoping that when I get back to the US that it works with my US provider (!) - which is not PAYG, but had issues in the past.
An update. Yes, my US provider, Ultra (cheap T-mobile) does eSIM. Despite the complex of setting it up on their website, I just phoned their tech support and got the eSIM barcode by email - sorted in less than a minute.