Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Potentially Moving to Virginia

Potentially Moving to Virginia

Old Apr 29th 2016, 1:51 pm
Just Joined

cjgray87 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Potentially Moving to Virginia

Hello all, just joined the forum but from flicking through the pages I can see it can be useful for various items.

I could potentially be relocating to Virginia with work, and looking advice on a number of items. All help is appreciated no matter how big or small

1 - Taxation - what is the rate of tax in Virginia on income. Apart from the government taxes, are there any additional state taxes which must be paid

2 - Area to live - looks like my company would be around the Fredericksburg area. Is this a good area to live? expensive? I would probably be looking to live up to 25 miles radius from here.

3 - Visas - this would be sorted for me by the company but what sort of visa would I look at for my wife as she would also be looking to work. Is this something y company would sort for both of us or would we have to apply for individually for her?

4 - Rental - we would look to rent and keep our house in UK (rented out) in case it doesn't work out. Which is the best website to view rental accommodation for the area

5 - most importantly - how easy is it to get HP sauce

I have no doubt I will have more questions but at this stage we are trying to work out if the move is going to happen, and also what wage I would be asking for to move considering standard of living, rental prices etc...
Old Apr 29th 2016, 2:58 pm
Forum Regular

Dewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud of
Default Re: Potentially Moving to Virginia

Income tax table and Income Tax calculator for Virginia. IRS tax advice for determining tax status. Personal property tax and Real Estate Tax for residents of the City of Fredericksburg - these will vary depending on which county/city you choose to live. Add the costs of insurance for all the family - medical/car/renters/life/etc. Utilities, Food, Travel, etc.

Fredericksburg is on the busy Interstate 95 corridor. There's a VRE commuter train to DC going North (90 minutes), Amtrak to Richmond going south. Miles of strip development heading West along Route 3, and lots of traffic on the roads. Visa questions US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas - British Expats. Search for a house to rent try realtor.com, sorry don't know about crime/schools/etc. For HP Sauce and other British foods in Fredericksburg, try World Market on Route 1/Jeff Davis Hwy.

Don't speed when driving in Virginia reckless driving (>20mph over the limit) is a criminal class 1 misdemeanor not a traffic citation.

Good luck and welcome to Virginia!

Last edited by Dewey; Apr 29th 2016 at 3:53 pm.
Old Apr 29th 2016, 3:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

3. As it's a transfer with an existing company, you'll get an L1 visa (a or b type depending on your job role), and your wife will get a dependent L2. She can work on this visa, after applying for EAD upon arriving in the US; EAD typically comes through about 60-90 days. Your company/ immigration lawyer will apply for both visas together; there's nothing extra for you to do.

4. Zillow.com for general housing types and prices, although it tends to be very out of date for rentals which often move quickly via boards on the lawn, social media, or word of mouth (depends on area). Hopefully your company will provide relocation assistance that includes a relocation consultant/ realtor to help you find a place.

5. Many supermarkets depending on area, but otherwise Amazon. Prepare to open a vein to pay for it, though! I've adapted by finding tolerable BBQ sauce variants, which are much cheaper.
Old Apr 30th 2016, 12:14 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

3. Her visa and what she can do depends on which one you would get.