Reload this Page >

Post-Brexit salary equivalency

Post-Brexit salary equivalency

Old Mar 19th 2017, 10:32 pm
Just Joined

bianalyst is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Post-Brexit salary equivalency

Hi all,

I've read in some parts of this forum that when doing an intra-company transfer, HR should "double Sterling and add a $ sign". How does this hold up post-Brexit when the GPBUSD rate is reaching 1.20 at times? I will be going on an L-1B, so I'm wondering how pay equivalency is established. Does the immigration firm (Fragomen in my case) suggest a pay range or warn if the suggested pay is too low?
Old Mar 19th 2017, 10:51 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post-Brexit salary equivalency

As a guide $1.60 in the US buys what a £1 buys in the UK. It's a guide as the US is so big you have to allow for regional variations for sales tax, property prices etc.
Old Mar 20th 2017, 1:01 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bianalyst
Hi all,

I've read in some parts of this forum that when doing an intra-company transfer, HR should "double Sterling and add a $ sign". How does this hold up post-Brexit when the GPBUSD rate is reaching 1.20 at times? I will be going on an L-1B, so I'm wondering how pay equivalency is established. Does the immigration firm (Fragomen in my case) suggest a pay range or warn if the suggested pay is too low?
Brexit has nothing to do with it.

Most international companies will have you on a paygrade scale based on the job that you actually do. The amount the position is paid is different in different markets (geographical areas) determined by local situations.

Fragomen will be told by your company what your job is paid in the city in which you will be working in the USA. The USCIS also have a database which they will check to ensure that you are not being brought in as cheap foreign labour. You can look on glassdoor or indeed.com for an idea of what your salary might be in the USA.
Old Mar 20th 2017, 8:01 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise

Most international companies will have you on a paygrade scale based on the job that you actually do. The amount the position is paid is different in different markets (geographical areas) determined by local situations.

Fragomen will be told by your company what your job is paid in the city in which you will be working in the USA. The USCIS also have a database which they will check to ensure that you are not being brought in as cheap foreign labour. You can look on glassdoor or indeed.com for an idea of what your salary might be in the USA.
+1

The exchange rate has little or nothing to do with the pay scales in US companies or the cost of living where those companies employ their workers.
Old Mar 20th 2017, 8:32 am
Just Joined

Thanks, this is helpful. Is the database USCIS look at the same as the one found on FLC Data Center? (FLCDataCenter.com)
Old Mar 20th 2017, 2:56 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bianalyst
Thanks, this is helpful. Is the database USCIS look at the same as the one found on FLC Data Center? (FLCDataCenter.com)
yes.

although you might be better off looking on glassdoor....
Old Mar 20th 2017, 3:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

A simlar thing could be said for working in London, pay is determined by the local market. From what I have seen DC, NYC and the Bay area tend to have the highest salaries in the US, along with high cost of living.
Old Mar 21st 2017, 1:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

LouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond repute

I just switched from London to NYC and brexit was not a factor, I got a good US rate and conversion back to UK in light of brexit FX rates lately made it even more attractive, about 20% more so due to falling £. Even considering London salary rates were good anyway.

However what really matters is income vs. cost of living, so the fact I can get more £ from my salary than in London is sort of a moot point.

Always key to get a salary inline with cost of living in that location, or better than that if you can tolerate longer commutes. Housing costs nearly alway the biggest factor in outgoing expenses. Like an optimisation problem, find a sweet spot between all those factors and you'll be doing OK 😌

Last edited by LouisB; Mar 21st 2017 at 1:28 pm.
Old Mar 21st 2017, 5:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

GeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond repute

If it helps my company are transferring me from London to NYC as of thursday and "converted" my current salary by a factor of 1.6 when translating it from £ to $. Which I was satisfied with and put me on the going rate for my job title over there.
Old Mar 21st 2017, 5:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

When I negotiated the salary for my first US job, I used the exchange rate or 2 USD to 1 GBP. So basically double my UK salary. At the time the exchange rate had just fallen from 2 down to about 1.6 , maybe lower. Wages for my job have not changed much both in the US or the UK.
Old Mar 22nd 2017, 8:00 am
Just Joined

Thanks all - I'll know what to expect going into negotiations now.
Old Mar 22nd 2017, 11:06 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

yes.

although you might be better off looking on glassdoor....
Definitely check glass door. Some professions, like software engineering, are paid much more here on average.

When I moved over and took this job I'm paid more than 2x the amount for a similar level position.

I just don't want you short changed.
Old Mar 22nd 2017, 11:27 am
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Taking the UK salary and multiplying it, whether by 1.6 or 2 or anything else, is irrelevant. What matters is the appropriate salary for that job in that location in the USA.
Old Mar 22nd 2017, 12:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

GeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic
Taking the UK salary and multiplying it, whether by 1.6 or 2 or anything else, is irrelevant. What matters is the appropriate salary for that job in that location in the USA.
It's not irrelevant. It's a good frame of reference. I would regard it as the minimum salary you should be prepared to accept.

If the going rate is below that - consider not going.
If the going rate is above that - consider negotiating on that basis.
If the going rate is roughly that - consider accepting.
Old Mar 22nd 2017, 3:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Something else I have noticed, is that salaries on the whole don't vary that much across the US. I think in the UK there was much more of a North/South divide on salaries.
I could earn maybe 10% to 20% more in the Bay area, but my extra expenses would probably come to more than that 20%. Conversely I could also live in Hicksville and earn similar money with much lower expenses, but I'm not sure I would fit in.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.