Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Pledge of Allegiance

Pledge of Allegiance

Old Aug 18th 2014, 5:34 pm
Country Member

Location: Moved from Georgetown to Round Rock, Texas. 15 miles closer to civilization.
g1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pledge of Allegiance

Originally Posted by Pulaski
You realise that the War of Independence is over, don't you?
Shit.... when did that happen????
Old Aug 18th 2014, 5:45 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
It may not have been adopted as the national anthem until the 18th century but it was written in 1619.
That statement is not 100% accurate, as you are full well aware. John Bull is _sometimes_ cited as the author of God Save The (King|Queen), he is _not_ universally, nor widely, acknowledged as the author.
Old Aug 18th 2014, 5:52 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
I believe I have a much better knowledge of British history then you do of American history.
FWIW, I would probably agree with you.

At the (public) school I attended, America was only mention with regards to WW2. There was no interest in teaching American history. America, on the other hand, (at least here on the east coast) appears far more engaged in teaching the history of Britain given our countries involvement in the creation of the United States and the 13 colonies prior to it.
Old Aug 18th 2014, 6:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
FWIW, I would probably agree with you.

At the (public) school I attended, America was only mention with regards to WW2. There was no interest in teaching American history. America, on the other hand, (at least here on the east coast) appears far more engaged in teaching the history of Britain given our countries involvement in the creation of the United States and the 13 colonies prior to it.
When I was in high school, other than the revolutionary war, war of 1812, and the civil war and only briefly, world history was primarily taught with mostly about Britain and France.
Old Aug 18th 2014, 6:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting bit of counter factual as to how the War of 1812 would have turned out, had Wellington been willing to lead the British Army against the Americans. He wasn't remotely interested from what I have read on the subject. Was obsessed with Napoleon.
That's because the War of 1812 was something of a sideshow compared to the main event which was putting Boney and the French back into their box. The local British and colonial Canadian forces did a good job of keeping the Americans at bay to the extent of burning down their capital. I learnt the other day that we retook Maine during the War of 1812. If it hadn't been the Americans winning the Battle of New Orleans, making the overall war a draw, it might today be the Canadian province of New Ireland.
Old Aug 18th 2014, 6:32 pm
Forum Regular

HDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rpjs
If it hadn't been the Americans winning the Battle of New Orleans, making the overall war a draw, it might today be the Canadian province of New Ireland.
The Battle of New Orleans was fought two weeks after the peace treaty was signed in Belgium!

Last edited by HDWill; Aug 18th 2014 at 6:35 pm.
Old Aug 18th 2014, 6:47 pm
Banned

That's because the War of 1812 was something of a sideshow compared to the main event which was putting Boney and the French back into their box.
Well, indeed. Is food for thought though, isn't it? Wellington was sounded out by courtiers to King George IV whether he would lead the British efforts, but he wasn't interested. How different that world would be today had Wellington led them.
Old Aug 18th 2014, 6:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute

Well, indeed. Is food for thought though, isn't it? Wellington was sounded out by courtiers to King George IV whether he would lead the British efforts, but he wasn't interested. How different that world would be today had Wellington led them.
Yes. Maybe we'd all be speaking French?
Old Aug 18th 2014, 7:09 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Owen778
The French governmental interest in Canada had been gone for almost 50 years by the time of the War of 1812.
Old Aug 18th 2014, 7:13 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

The French governmental interest in Canada had been gone for almost 50 years by the time of the War of 1812.
French still have a foothold, though, St. Pierre and Miquelon.
Old Aug 18th 2014, 7:16 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Owen778
Wellington would have been back in time for Waterloo I strongly suspect
Old Aug 18th 2014, 7:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

I am now a US citizen and I stand but just keep my hands by my side. I'd just feel silly putting my hand on my heart. I do take off my hat (if my hair's not too greasy).
Old Aug 18th 2014, 7:18 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

That's because the War of 1812 was something of a sideshow compared to the main event which was putting Boney and the French back into their box. The local British and colonial Canadian forces did a good job of keeping the Americans at bay to the extent of burning down their capital. I learnt the other day that we retook Maine during the War of 1812. If it hadn't been the Americans winning the Battle of New Orleans, making the overall war a draw, it might today be the Canadian province of New Ireland.
Originally Posted by HDWill
The Battle of New Orleans was fought two weeks after the peace treaty was signed in Belgium!
Yup, I don't think New Orleans had much to do with the outcome of the border discussions which were very favorable to the US, even though the war was a "draw." Canada really lost out in the border discussions because the Americans obviously cared more about the outcome than the British. I believe I read that the British commissioners were bribed by American interests to give Maine to the US, but not sure if that's true.
Old Aug 18th 2014, 7:27 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
French still have a foothold, though, St. Pierre and Miquelon.
Interesting. That was not mentioned in the book I am currently reading on Anglo-French relations, at least not yet, and I am already in the section about the French Revolution.
Old Aug 18th 2014, 7:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute

Sure. When I said, "we", I mean the British expats. I made the mistake of assuming that was obvious.

Who knows how the war in Europe would have progressed without Wellington to prosecute the Peninsula War or the Waterloo Campaign? It's pretty easy to argue that with fewer troops occupied in the Iberian Peninsula, Napoleon might have successfully invaded Russia.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.