Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Pledge of Allegiance

Pledge of Allegiance

Old Aug 18th 2014, 5:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pledge of Allegiance

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
No, it's not.
Then what is it about? Why did Britain want to save a dictatorial queen?
Old Aug 18th 2014, 5:09 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
Britain hasn't had a dictatorial monarch in 799 years.
Old Aug 18th 2014, 5:14 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

..and the national anthem is a song about killing the British. No thanks. Not in my name.
It's a song about surviving the British naval attack on Fort McHenry actually.
Old Aug 18th 2014, 5:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Britain hasn't had a dictatorial monarch in 799 years.
Just like the Soviet Union didn't have a dictator because they had the "people's parliament".
Old Aug 18th 2014, 5:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
Which was in the war of 1812 not the War of Independence... amazing how many Americans don't realize that.
Old Aug 18th 2014, 5:18 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

I think you'll find the UK has a Constitutional Monarchy, and has done since King James II was overthrown.
Old Aug 18th 2014, 5:19 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Just like the Soviet Union didn't have a dictator because they had the "people's parliament".
No. Not even remotely the same.
Old Aug 18th 2014, 5:21 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Just like the Soviet Union didn't have a dictator because they had the "people's parliament". .....
Please go research British history rather than throwing around sound bites and making irrelevant comparisons.
Old Aug 18th 2014, 5:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I think you'll find the UK has a Constitutional Monarchy, and has done since King James II was overthrown.
So it was a democracy back in the 1600s when the song was written and the monarchy was just a symbol. I didn't realize that. And all those things that Henry VIII did was constitutional.
Old Aug 18th 2014, 5:24 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
I've lived here for twenty three years, and I don't think I've ever been in a situation where the Pledge of Allegiance has been recited...
Really? I think I must hear it 3 or 4 times a week! 2-3 times at school (they do it every morning, but I'm not in every day) and once a week at Scouts. Very very rarely hear it outside School or Scouts - maybe at the beginning of the school board meetings, but I rarely go to those...They tried to do it at the beginning of an HOA meeting years ago, but it fizzled out when it became apparent there were very few americans in attendance

Last week we were at a water park, and about 1.15 in the afternoon, while we were larking around in the wave pool I suddenly realized that everyone else was standing with hands on heart, facing the same direction. Then I heard the national anthem - it was about halfway through! I stopped the kids, and they all faced the flag. No idea why they suddenly decided to play it then (maybe someone hit the wrong button on the DJ's stand?), but I have to say, it was rather amusing to see the folk in the deep end of the pool trying to stand and face the flag with the waves still pounding them

As for the National Anthem - I have no problem not singing it - fortunately that doesn't make anyone stand out, as very few people seem to attempt it. But I do feel slightly uncomfortable when something like "God Bless America" comes on...I still don't sing, but I do feel a bit churlish on that one for some reason, and I'm not sure why - maybe because it is my home....although I'm rather along SoS's viewpoint with regards to asking a mythical deity to bless it!!
Old Aug 18th 2014, 5:24 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Steve_
I'm not disputing that. I - and other historians, however - would consider the 'surviving' of the attack to involve the killing of British citizens. Hence, my original comment on the song.
Old Aug 18th 2014, 5:26 pm
Banned

So it was a democracy back in the 1600s when the song was written and the monarchy was just a symbol. I didn't realize that.
Do you have any idea of British history? It appears not.

Hint: the anthem is dated early 18th Century. That is not the 1600's. Just FYI.
Old Aug 18th 2014, 5:29 pm
Forum Regular

HDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not disputing that. I - and other historians, however - would consider the 'surviving' of the attack to involve the killing of British citizens. Hence, my original comment on the song.
Please revisit Johnny Horton's 1959 classic, 'The Battle of New Orleans'.

'They ran through the bushes where a rabbit couldn't go...'
Old Aug 18th 2014, 5:30 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Pulaski
You realise that the War of Independence is over, don't you?
Interesting bit of counter factual as to how the War of 1812 would have turned out, had Wellington been willing to lead the British Army against the Americans. He wasn't remotely interested from what I have read on the subject. Was obsessed with Napoleon.
Old Aug 18th 2014, 5:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Do you have any idea of British history? It appears not.

Hint: the anthem is dated early 18th Century. That is not the 1600's. Just FYI.
It may not have been adopted as the national anthem until the 18th century but it was written in 1619.

I believe I have a much better knowledge of British history then you do of American history. I don't look at it through rose tinted glasses nor do I look at American history that way either.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.