Reload this Page >

PLEASE HELP - Living & Working in Florida

PLEASE HELP - Living & Working in Florida

Old Jun 20th 2017, 2:56 pm
Just Joined

kcarterx is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: PLEASE HELP - Living & Working in Florida

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Are you an American citizen, if so then yes, you could just move over, however you should have been declaring income to the IRS every yea, but you can back file these, you would need to back file 3 years. Your boyfriend could move with you, however the simplest way would be for him to be your husband. Have a look through this Wiki article which will give you the information.
If you are not an American citizen, then it all becomes a lot lot harder.

Pulaski's Ways: How to Live and Work in the USA : British Expat Wiki

This might be a stupid question but, when i fill out the US Tax returns to show what i've been earning in the UK, will i have to pay Tax to the US?
Old Jun 20th 2017, 2:58 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kcarterx
Hello, Thank you for your reply. Are you allowed to hold multiple passports? ....
As others have said, yes. I have two myself, and my daughter is entitled to two too. Several members of BE have three passports, and at least one member has four!
I was in america in September, no one questioned me about it. My sister has been questioned about it before but they weren't too bothered.
Entering the US as a US citizen using a foreign passport is actually illegal. There can be a fine levied, but the usual "penalty" is being held in an interview room at the airport for a couple of hours, just long enough to p裏 you off. .... You can also tell your sister about her obligation to complete a US tax return each year.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 20th 2017 at 4:37 pm.
Old Jun 20th 2017, 4:10 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pulaski
As others have said, yes. I have two myself, and my daughter is entitled to two too. Several members of BE have three passport, and at least one member has four!

Entering the US as a US citizen using a foreign passport is actually illegal. There can be a fine levied, but the usual "penalty" is being held in an interview room at the airport for a couple of hours, just long enough to p裏 you off. .... You can also tell your sister about her obligation to complete a US tax return each year.
Thank you for the information, i will do!
Old Jun 20th 2017, 4:36 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kcarterx
This might be a stupid question but, when i fill out the US Tax returns to show what i've been earning in the UK, will i have to pay Tax to the US?
No, you get to "deduct" about $100,000 when you live overseas, and I think even after that you can deduct tax paid locally, so in practice you won't have to pay additional tax to the US IRS.

If you're moving to Florida (the US) you will need to apply for a social security number.
Old Jun 20th 2017, 4:58 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

No, you get to "deduct" about $100,000 when you live overseas, and I think even after that you can deduct tax paid locally, so in practice you won't have to pay additional tax to the US IRS.

If you're moving to Florida (the US) you will need to apply for a social security number.
Doesn't she also need one for filing taxes as she is not eligible for an independent taxpayer's identification number. Since she is young, she might have gotten one at birth.
Old Jun 20th 2017, 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by Rete
Doesn't she also need one for filing taxes as she is not eligible for an independent taxpayer's identification number. Since she is young, she might have gotten one at birth.
That's a good point. Probably, though I wasn't sure if they issued SSNs for USC's to file taxes if they live outside the US. And you may be right, she may already have an SSN issued soon after birth.

Anyhow when she tries to apply for a number the SS Administration will tell her if she already has an SSN.
Old Jun 20th 2017, 6:22 pm
Just Joined

That's a good point. Probably, though I wasn't sure if they issued SSNs for USC's to file taxes if they live outside the US. And you may be right, she may already have an SSN issued soon after birth.

Anyhow when she tries to apply for a number the SS Administration will tell her if she already has an SSN.
Thank you both so much for your help!!