Reload this Page >

PLEASE HELP - Living & Working in Florida

PLEASE HELP - Living & Working in Florida

Old Jun 20th 2017, 1:38 pm
Just Joined

kcarterx is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation PLEASE HELP - Living & Working in Florida

Hi Everyone,

Thank you for stopping and reading my post.

Me and my boyfriend have decided we want to move from the UK to Florida. I currently have friends of the family over there who i am in regular contact with. I was born in Florida but have lived in the UK my whole life. I hold a UK Passport. Would It be a simple move for me? Does anyone know what I would need to do?

My boyfriend is educated to degree level, would this help?

Does anyone know how to fill out IRS Income reports? - When i fill these tax returns out, will i have to pay tax in to the US for the money i have earned in the UK?

Any help or advise is appreciated!

Thank you!

Kelly

Last edited by kcarterx; Jun 20th 2017 at 2:57 pm.
Old Jun 20th 2017, 1:43 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PLEASE HELP - Living & Working in Florida

If you were born in Florida you are a US citizen. You will need a US passport. Once you have your passport all you need is an airline ticket. Have you been filing your US tax returns? - They are required annually for all US citizens (adults) no matter where in the world they live.

If your boyfriend wants to go too he will need either a work visa of his own, which, depending on his work experience and qualifications will be somewhere between extremely difficult and virtually impossible, OR he needs to be married to you. Once he is married it will take 6-8 months to get a spouse visa - this must be done before he arrives in the US to live, otherwise he will enter a legal minefield.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 20th 2017 at 1:51 pm.
Old Jun 20th 2017, 1:43 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kcarterx
Hi Everyone,

Thank you for stopping and reading my post.

Me and my boyfriend have decided we want to move from the UK to Florida. I currently have friends of the family over there who i am in regular contact with. I was born in Florida but have lived in the UK my whole life. I hold a UK Passport. Would It be a simple move for me? Does anyone know what I would need to do?

Any help or advise is appreciated!

Thank you!

Kelly
Are you an American citizen, if so then yes, you could just move over, however you should have been declaring income to the IRS every yea, but you can back file these, you would need to back file 3 years. Your boyfriend could move with you, however the simplest way would be for him to be your husband. Have a look through this Wiki article which will give you the information.
If you are not an American citizen, then it all becomes a lot lot harder.

Pulaski's Ways: How to Live and Work in the USA : British Expat Wiki
Old Jun 20th 2017, 1:47 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Are you an American citizen, ....
Everyone* born in the US is a US citizen. Full stop.

* With the possible exception of children of diplomats.
Old Jun 20th 2017, 1:49 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Everyone* born in the US is a US citizen. Full stop.

* With the possible exception of children of diplomats.
Or enemy aliens. Though that's unlikely
Old Jun 20th 2017, 2:02 pm
Just Joined

haha thank you for your help!! No enemy aliens here!!
Old Jun 20th 2017, 2:06 pm
Just Joined

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

Im only 22. I havent declared any income. I will look into this and ensure i do it.

My boyfriend is educated to degree level. So hopefully that will help.
Old Jun 20th 2017, 2:14 pm

.... My boyfriend is educated to degree level. So hopefully that will help.
Not much. To cut to the chase - if you are serious about bringing him along you are almost certainly going to need to be married.
Old Jun 20th 2017, 2:21 pm
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

You have the easiest route of all - birth in the USA. Your boyfriend could have the second easiest route of all if you get married - spouse of a USC. If you don't get married his chances are no better than the millions of others around the world who want to move here but have no real path to do so.
Old Jun 20th 2017, 2:25 pm
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

Also wanted to add - as a USC you are required to enter the USA with your US passport. Even if you hold multiple other passports and even if you don't consider yourself to be a USC. I'm surprised this hasn't been questioned by CBP before if/when you have entered the USA and you are using a British passport with your birthplace stated as USA. Strange.
Old Jun 20th 2017, 2:29 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Twinkle0927
Also wanted to add - as a USC you are required to enter the USA with your US passport. Even if you hold multiple other passports and even if you don't consider yourself to be a USC. I'm surprised this hasn't been questioned by CBP before if/when you have entered the USA and you are using a British passport with your birthplace stated as USA. Strange.
Depends on the place name. British passports state the city or town of birth, not the country.
Old Jun 20th 2017, 2:39 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pulaski
If you were born in Florida you are a US citizen. You will need a US passport. Once you have your passport all you need is an airline ticket. Have you been filing your US tax returns? - They are required annually for all US citizens (adults) no matter where in the world they live.

If your boyfriend wants to go too he will need either a work visa of his own, which, depending on his work experience and qualifications will be somewhere between extremely difficult and virtually impossible, OR he needs to be married to you. Once he is married it will take 6-8 months to get a spouse visa - this must be done before he arrives in the US to live, otherwise he will enter a legal minefield.
Originally Posted by Twinkle0927

Hello, Thank you for your reply. Are you allowed to hold multiple passports?
I was in america in September, no one questioned me about it. My sister has been questioned about it before but they weren't too bothered.
Old Jun 20th 2017, 2:47 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Hello, Thank you for your reply. Are you allowed to hold multiple passports? .
Yes in this instance. I have both, as do many others.
Old Jun 20th 2017, 2:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

I was in america in September, no one questioned me about it. My sister has been questioned about it before but they weren't too bothered.
Yes, you can hold multiple passports. You would have US and UK, just like many of us here on BE.
Old Jun 20th 2017, 2:50 pm
Banned

You can. If I were you I'd apply for the US passport as soon as possible to avoid any problems.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.