Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Real Ales/Bitter

Real Ales/Bitter

Old Sep 14th 2011, 5:13 pm
Forum Regular

Psychosleftpeg is just really nicePsychosleftpeg is just really nicePsychosleftpeg is just really nicePsychosleftpeg is just really nicePsychosleftpeg is just really nicePsychosleftpeg is just really nicePsychosleftpeg is just really nicePsychosleftpeg is just really nice
Default Real Ales/Bitter

Hi

I am going to be moving to America in just under 3 weeks and I have a couple of beer related questions.

Firstly, I understand it is possible to get 'micro brews' in America which can be similar to what I know as Real Ales, Bitter, IPA etc. I read a thread today from a few months ago regarding what people like to drink but I couldn't connect the beer names to a particular beer style. I did check Google but it just comes up with beer appreciation websites. So my question really is what are the names of some of the real ales in the states? I appreciate that there might be some beers that are specific to a certain state and perhaps can only be purchased online outside that state but thats fine. What are some of the easier found ales and which stores stock them?

I haven't had a good experience of finding what I would call decent ale in NM. I ended up drinking Fosters Bitter (which I had no idea existed!) which wasn't that dissimilar to John Smiths and a seasonal version of Blue Moon, think it was called Harvest moon but I wouldn't put money on it. Both were a last resort.

I did find some fantastic draught beers at Newark Airport of all places that were all brewed in Boston, they were fantastic, so I know there is great beer out there, I just don't know where to look .

Cheers
Old Sep 14th 2011, 5:25 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Real Ales/Bitter

These might help

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=719359

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=657683
Old Sep 14th 2011, 5:27 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Psychosleftpeg
Hi

I am going to be moving to America in just under 3 weeks and I have a couple of beer related questions.

Firstly, I understand it is possible to get 'micro brews' in America which can be similar to what I know as Real Ales, Bitter, IPA etc. I read a thread today from a few months ago regarding what people like to drink but I couldn't connect the beer names to a particular beer style. I did check Google but it just comes up with beer appreciation websites. So my question really is what are the names of some of the real ales in the states? I appreciate that there might be some beers that are specific to a certain state and perhaps can only be purchased online outside that state but thats fine. What are some of the easier found ales and which stores stock them?

I haven't had a good experience of finding what I would call decent ale in NM. I ended up drinking Fosters Bitter (which I had no idea existed!) which wasn't that dissimilar to John Smiths and a seasonal version of Blue Moon, think it was called Harvest moon but I wouldn't put money on it. Both were a last resort.

I did find some fantastic draught beers at Newark Airport of all places that were all brewed in Boston, they were fantastic, so I know there is great beer out there, I just don't know where to look .

Cheers
Everything you need can be found on Beeradvocate.com - listings per brewer and reviews of beers (sortable by type) and also listings of bars per area and reviews of those.

There are no real ale brands per se in the US. 99.99% of craft beer is what we would call 'keg' in the UK. That said - while I wouldn't touch keg beer in the UK the craft beers available in the States can be excellent. Craft brewers will also do small runs of some of their beer styles and deliver them in cask conditioned form - this is your real ale. Cask dispense has never really caught on in the US beyond a small niche market, and there are currently only around 500 cask outlets in the entire continent. Sadly because it isn't well understood it does tend to get abused by untrained bar staff so even when it is available it is often simply not nice to drink. So, because of these factors I enjoy 99% of my craft beer in keg form.

It's difficult to list specific beers as being good ones to try as there are simply hundreds upon hundreds of truly good beers, and a lot of what's available will vary regionally. Beware pseudo-craft beers that are actually produced by the big boys (Blue Moon, Shock Top, Redhook and more) and I'd also stick my neck out and say avoid Sam Adams (currently the largest US-owned brewery that - with a couple of niche exceptions - brews beer to recipes that are designed not to offend anyone's pallette and consequently don't taste of much).

Wherabouts are you moving to? Some places can be more of a challenge than others but there's almost always something if you know where to look!

Good luck with the move.
Old Sep 14th 2011, 5:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
I'd also stick my neck out and say avoid Sam Adams
The Sam Adams Cherry Wheat is awesome in my opinion. The Summer Ale has gone down hill over the last couple of years, but still a solid enough performer.
Old Sep 14th 2011, 5:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

The best way I find is to talk to your local barstaff and ask what beers they have. Ask for the local beer. Of course you have to pick the right pub/bar to do this (google for local brewpubs and the like). It depends but many bars will only have Bud and Bud lite on tap with all the proper beers displayed in bottle form on a shelf. Beer cans have also suddenly become very popular here.

For what it's worth I quite like Blue Moon and its seasonal variants despite its owner.
Old Sep 14th 2011, 6:03 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

The sprout has it!

But yeah, best to stick to local brews, there's often a good scene and they tend to be pretty decent, rather than getting stuff from around the country and not all States allow shipping of booze anyway.
Old Sep 14th 2011, 6:04 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hobbes79
The Sam Adams Cherry Wheat is awesome in my opinion.
I like it too and a couple of the other seasonals are pretty good, but the regular staples are pretty meh...better than Bud/Coors etc, but still, so is a glass or urine
Old Sep 14th 2011, 6:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
I like it too and a couple of the other seasonals are pretty good, but the regular staples are pretty meh...better than Bud/Coors etc, but still, so is a glass or urine

Have you check out the Yard House in Dedham, MA? Biggest beer menu I've ever seen...
Old Sep 14th 2011, 6:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
For what it's worth I quite like Blue Moon and its seasonal variants despite its owner.
Try it half and half with Guinness. Regularly called an Eclipse

Tastes really good.
Old Sep 14th 2011, 6:17 pm
IPM
Forum Regular

IPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to all

Everything you need can be found on Beeradvocate.com - listings per brewer and reviews of beers (sortable by type) and also listings of bars per area and reviews of those.

There are no real ale brands per se in the US. 99.99% of craft beer is what we would call 'keg' in the UK. That said - while I wouldn't touch keg beer in the UK the craft beers available in the States can be excellent. Craft brewers will also do small runs of some of their beer styles and deliver them in cask conditioned form - this is your real ale. Cask dispense has never really caught on in the US beyond a small niche market, and there are currently only around 500 cask outlets in the entire continent. Sadly because it isn't well understood it does tend to get abused by untrained bar staff so even when it is available it is often simply not nice to drink. So, because of these factors I enjoy 99% of my craft beer in keg form.

It's difficult to list specific beers as being good ones to try as there are simply hundreds upon hundreds of truly good beers, and a lot of what's available will vary regionally. Beware pseudo-craft beers that are actually produced by the big boys (Blue Moon, Shock Top, Redhook and more) and I'd also stick my neck out and say avoid Sam Adams (currently the largest US-owned brewery that - with a couple of niche exceptions - brews beer to recipes that are designed not to offend anyone's pallette and consequently don't taste of much).

Wherabouts are you moving to? Some places can be more of a challenge than others but there's almost always something if you know where to look!

Good luck with the move.
Tonrob's guidance is valuable. In general, IPA has a much stronger ABV than in the UK and tends to be big on hops. To date, my favourite ales include:

Dogfish IPA (DE)
Dales Pale Ale (CO)
Magic Hat (VT)
Lagunitas (CA)
Goose Island (IL)
Old Sep 14th 2011, 6:19 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Have you check out the Yard House in Dedham, MA? Biggest beer menu I've ever seen...
I've heard, but no, never been...would require a trip into Dedham

There's a good pub in town for craft beers, but that's a bit of a hike for you
Old Sep 14th 2011, 6:24 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

With about 2000 brewers all making beer here, it's tough to easily summarize the scene or provide a list of "good" brewers. I tend to stick to the local/regional stuff here in the midwest, so my list of favorites might not be available in the SW. I average about two six packs a week for myself and I try to buy something different every time. I've identified some favorites, but the variety is essentially infinite once you add in seasonals and the like.

Some current favorite North American breweries include:
Great Lakes
Allagash
Founders
Smuttynose
Unibroue
Capital
Jolly Pumpkin
Lagunitas
Bear Republic
North Coast
Three Floyds
Victory
..etc.

Last edited by Hiro11; Sep 14th 2011 at 6:33 pm.
Old Sep 14th 2011, 6:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

The Sam Adams Cherry Wheat is awesome in my opinion. The Summer Ale has gone down hill over the last couple of years, but still a solid enough performer.
Try it half and half with Guinness. Regularly called an Eclipse

Tastes really good.
Now I'm trying to remember a drink someone made last year, I swear it was Half Cherry Wheat and Guinness.
Old Sep 14th 2011, 6:32 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

You can get Real Ale, usually only in Brew Pubs.

There are quite a few in Durango, how much gets further south I do no know.
Old Sep 14th 2011, 6:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

Beware pseudo-craft beers that are actually produced by the big boys (Blue Moon, Shock Top, Redhook and more) and I'd also stick my neck out and say avoid Sam Adams (currently the largest US-owned brewery that - with a couple of niche exceptions - brews beer to recipes that are designed not to offend anyone's pallette and consequently don't taste of much).
I know that Redhook is now partially owned by AB, but their regular recipes haven't changed from when they were independent (which was only a few years ago). Their ESB is really good, but the rest of their beers are pretty meh now that my palette has changed. Blue Moon did change though.
Sam Adams stuff is still good. It probably won't win in a taste-off against several craft breweries, but it is probably the most consistently available decent beer in the US.

One thing to watch out for are the beer snobs, they act a bit like born-agains and ex-smokers and will sneer at any beer that doesn't meet their standards. I'd ignore beer rating sites too, they seem to have turned into positive reinforcement echo chambers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.