Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Pet Peeves peculiar to living in the USofA

Pet Peeves peculiar to living in the USofA

Old Nov 17th 2004, 5:23 pm
Franklin

Default Re: Pet Peeves peculiar to living in the USofA

OK, I know the lack of adequate road signage has been brought up before … but OH BOY is this an issue around DC metro land.

Took a couple of days off to drive to PA and do a scheduled tour of Frank Lloyd Wright’s Fallingwater (great architecture).

Hardly any problems away from DC metro land, but on the way back to DC land I took a wrong exit off the 495 beltway (used by the "Beltway Boys" on the telly, and no, I don't watch their show) and oh hell, spent two hours driving around totally lost … the road I was on took me into rural Maryland. It was “pitch black” and no road signs, totally lost, and I, I, I nearly lost my mind; it was such a FRUSTRATING experience.

What is it with the roads – telling me I am on such and such road but not giving directions to a major highway (which I can find on a map) is really BAD! What a waste of fuel and time. Plus I could have unintentionally strayed into a bad area and BLAM!

Old Nov 18th 2004, 3:52 pm
Just Joined

NewEngVic is an unknown quantity at this point

I am an American that has been living in the UK for the last 5 years. When I first moved over I complained about everything here comparing it to America. However, what I quickly realised was that it isn't the US and UK that I was comparing, it was my small suburban town outside of Chicago that I was comparing to the Royal Forest of Dean in the middle of nowhere! What I am trying to get at is that you cannot strictly compare the US to UK because both are so diverse that no matter what town you live in, no 2 are ever alike.

In response to the road markings and cat eyes, if you live in Maine then your state is equipped with snow plows which of course means that any reflectors need to be set in to the roads. This in turns means that the road markings will not be as easy to see. However, if you travel down to TX or AZ, then the markings stand out loud and clear because they don't have to worry about the snow. Sounds like all of the complaints one may have of America is actually just problems with Maine and you should consider moving. Also, this cannot be compared to the UK road markings with their bright reflectors because even though they do get snow, I've never seen a snow plow (I know, I don't understand it either), so even though you can see where you're going very well in normal weather, in the winter you cannot drive at all because of the state of the roads!

Also, defending the drinking culture of America (or the lack there of) I don't see how you can possibly think this is a bad thing. Certainly from a health point of view it is better to limit the amount of alcohol that one puts into their body? Every time that we go out into the city to go for a nice meal it is always spoiled by all the drunken people stumbling out of pubs and clubs wanting to pick a fight with everyone they meet.

Lastly, about having to drive between strip malls, I would rather it take those few minutes compared to where I live in the UK where it takes me over an hour to get to the local mall. Yes, I can get to the nearest city 30 minutes away to do some shopping but they are all outside and considering it rains every day it doesn't making shopping a pleasant experience.
Old Nov 18th 2004, 3:56 pm
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NewEngVic
Certainly from a health point of view it is better to limit the amount of alcohol that one puts into their body?
Agreed, but that's the individuals right to decide, not legislation.
Old Nov 18th 2004, 4:44 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NewEngVic
In response to the road markings and cat eyes, if you live in Maine then your state is equipped with snow plows which of course means that any reflectors need to be set in to the roads. ...

Lastly, about having to drive between strip malls, I would rather it take those few minutes compared to where I live in the UK where it takes me over an hour to get to the local mall...
Aye, it does all depend on where you live, but it's still a peeve of living here, and not all roads are snow plowed, some just get compacted and gritted, so there are no road markings and the snow banks cover the road barriers, with no lights on the road, you really can't see bends or anything, so maybe cateyes aren't the answer, but they do need something. Not just that, the conditions of the roads in general are pretty shite.

As for the malls, that depends on where your living to doesn't it, if you lived in a city, it wouldn't be a problem. I'm living in a city, but there's bugger all here, have to go 45 mins to any of the main big cities or a wally world. And no, I don't intend to stay here permanently, but it's where I am now.

As for the booze, don't even get me started, it's all about choice, oh which, it is very limited over here, if your older enough to vote, join the army, buy guns etc, you should be of sound mind to choose to buy a bottle of beer without having to go through major hoops.
Old Nov 18th 2004, 4:52 pm
Franklin

I remember one winter in Chicago when a car did a ski-ramp flip onto a CTA metro line.

At least two of the Chicago freeways have a CTA train tracks running along the middle of the highway (separated by concrete wall/barrier).

Now cometh the snow, then cometh the snowplough trucks ... and the snow in the "fastest" lane gets pushed and compressed and pushed and more compressed ... up against the train wall/barrier.

Then cometh the cars, automobiles, trucks, your poison. One took a sideswipe at said barrier and actually did a ski-ramp kind of flip up the compressed snow and over the barrier and landed on the tracks (upside down on the tracks if my memory is serves me right).

The tracks have that "third rail", i.e. they are electrified.

Old Nov 18th 2004, 8:53 pm
Just Joined

Spinneretta is an unknown quantity at this point

Mind if I join in?
My pet peeve is people saying "What?" after everything I say... so I have to repeat myself a few times!

And not being able to find something I *know* they'd have back home

AND trying to find the latest Terry Pratchett book... or other favourite author/musician not available over here!

~Spin
Old Nov 18th 2004, 9:00 pm
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spinneretta
AND trying to find the latest Terry Pratchett book...
Barnes and Noble stores stock all of Pratchetts books. Failing that, I get most of my books and music from Amazon.com.

On the subject of peeves. People that use the term "dude" more than once in a sentence. Drives me nuts.
Old Nov 18th 2004, 9:03 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Mind if I join in?
My pet peeve is people saying "What?" after everything I say... so I have to repeat myself a few times!

And not being able to find something I *know* they'd have back home

AND trying to find the latest Terry Pratchett book... or other favourite author/musician not available over here!

~Spin
What? Is that Australian you're typing? New Zealandic? Have you got marbles in your keyboard? What? Dude, type English puh-lease, dude!
Old Nov 18th 2004, 9:09 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Mind if I join in?
Welcome to the site
Old Nov 18th 2004, 9:10 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by rincewind
On the subject of peeves. People that use the term "dude" more than once in a sentence. Drives me nuts.
Dude? jubbly...
Old Nov 18th 2004, 9:12 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by rincewind
Barnes and Noble stores stock all of Pratchetts books. Failing that, I get most of my books and music from Amazon.com.
Except the Discworld almanac

Has anyone else noticed an excessive number of policemen watching for speeders over here?

~Spin
Old Nov 18th 2004, 9:13 pm
You Are All Diseased

Originally Posted by Bob
Dude? jubbly...
More like "Dude!! So I want up to the dude and I said, 'hey dude' and the dude just looked at me like I was some freakin' dude."

Arrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!
Old Nov 18th 2004, 9:17 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bob
Welcome to the site
Thank you! I appreciate the welcome

I'm only typing English here... although my husband and I have gotten into some discussions on exactly what constitutes ENGLISH here... I submit that HE speaks AMERICAN and I speak ENGLISH

~Spin
Old Nov 18th 2004, 9:19 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Except the Discworld almanac

Has anyone else noticed an excessive number of policemen watching for speeders over here?

~Spin
There are? Maybe during holidays and on I-40 but I haven't seen many at all since moving here (NC).

I did see a police Camaro on the road (i.e. driving) the other day. The only other time I'd seen one was at the State Fair and it was on display

NC Penguin
Old Nov 18th 2004, 9:22 pm
Just Joined

Must just be around here then ...
Probably want their Christmas bonus'

~Spin

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.