Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Pet Peeves peculiar to living in the USofA

Pet Peeves peculiar to living in the USofA

Old Nov 17th 2004, 1:44 am
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pet Peeves peculiar to living in the USofA

Originally Posted by Celtic_Angel
in this state you can't buy anything but wine and beer at the grocery store and before noon on a Sunday not even that
Wine and beer? you're lucky - only beer in my neck of the woods

I need to go to a liquor store for the hard stuff, and thats not open on sunday at all!!!
Old Nov 17th 2004, 1:51 am

syllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
I need to go to a liquor store for the hard stuff, and thats not open on sunday at all!!!
Man, that must suck! It makes me thankful to be in a state where there's no restrictions and no stigma when it comes to alcohol (or none that I've cared to notice anyway).
Old Nov 17th 2004, 1:55 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Celtic_Angel]
Originally Posted by rincewind
Buying alcohol and being made to feel like an alcoholic

I know what you mean!!!

in this state you can't buy anything but wine and beer at the grocery store and before noon on a Sunday not even that

what's the point? they trying to make me feel like a raving alchoholic if i go to the liquor store? i've been known to go in with my 3 yr old unfortunately followed by the big drunken tramp and witnessed by the old baptist lady entering the close by christian store.....i'm serious!! makes me feel like a lush....oh....er i guess they succeeded then.....doesn't stop me though
Drove past a nearby ABC store on Friday, after work. The ABC store is the state controlled store (NC) that sells the hard stuff, e.g. spirits. I couldn't believe how many vehicles were turning into the parking lot of that store.

I thought there was some event going on then realized, "oh, it's only the ABC store!". I got the impression that some people must have saved themselves for a Friday booze up or something...

NC Penguin
Old Nov 17th 2004, 1:56 am
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

[in this state you can't buy anything but wine and beer at the grocery store and before noon on a Sunday not even that
Think that's bad? I live in a dry town!
Old Nov 17th 2004, 2:07 am
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sibsie
eeeek! I've heard of those ...do they really exist? i figured it was all just a nasty rumour they told grown-ups if they were bad

Actually that's not very enviromentaly friendly -consider all the gas you're using up just to go get your booze
Old Nov 17th 2004, 2:13 am
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by syllk
Man, that must suck! It makes me thankful to be in a state where there's no restrictions and no stigma when it comes to alcohol (or none that I've cared to notice anyway).
heehee i know what you mean Syllk i lived 5 years in Louisianna ...they even have drive through daiquiri stores in that State, not that it was a big deal to me at the time it was the first State i lived in i figured they were all the same......how naive!!
Old Nov 17th 2004, 2:34 am
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sibsie
I'm in a dry county too. I can buy beer, but I have to drive to the county line to buy the hard stuff.

Makes me feel like something out of the Dukes of Hazzard.

Which reminds me. Always wanted to try the Dukes Of Hazzard police chase. You know, the one where they get chased by the police and and make it to the county line and they can't touch 'em.

If you don't see me around the board for a few months, you'll know my experiment went horribly wrong.
Old Nov 17th 2004, 4:00 am
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Which reminds me. Always wanted to try the Dukes Of Hazzard police chase. You know, the one where they get chased by the police and and make it to the county line and they can't touch 'em.

If you don't see me around the board for a few months, you'll know my experiment went horribly wrong.
Don't know what the cops drive down in georgia, but here they have new chevy impalas.... having driven one for 200 miles a couple of weeks back I think you should be able to make an easy get away as soon as you move off any straight highway... WORST CAR BAR NONE i have ever driven

had similar handling to the 4 seater boat i hired down on the gulf coast last year - any slight deviation from the straight and narrow is liable to send you into a ditch...
Old Nov 17th 2004, 4:32 am
Back Again

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
Don't know what the cops drive down in georgia, but here they have new chevy impalas.... having driven one for 200 miles a couple of weeks back I think you should be able to make an easy get away as soon as you move off any straight highway... WORST CAR BAR NONE i have ever driven

had similar handling to the 4 seater boat i hired down on the gulf coast last year - any slight deviation from the straight and narrow is liable to send you into a ditch...
LOL are you seriously giving him advice? PMSL i can just see two British giggling drunken sods racing for the boarder line being chased by those two police men from those Burt Reynolds movies!!!! hilarious!!!
Old Nov 17th 2004, 1:19 pm
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

LOL are you seriously giving him advice? PMSL i can just see two British giggling drunken sods racing for the boarder line being chased by those two police men from those Burt Reynolds movies!!!! hilarious!!!
With dynamite sticks taped to arrows. Yeeeeeeehhhhhhaaaawwwwwww.

Don't forget to take the route where the bridge is out and we have to jump it
Old Nov 17th 2004, 2:03 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Taffyles
I'd really check out small banks if you intend to use, I know people who have lost a lot of money banking with them and IME they are more expensive than national banks. That's in Florida, I don't know about other States.
Adobe- I asked around today about check books, couldn't find anyone who gets them free I get my HSBC (Jersey and UK) cheque books free though
Aye, I know what you mean, but the local banks here aren't spread across the state, so get's expensive using ATM's etc, I'm using Peoples and there linked to a couple other banks across the New England area, so they aren't so bad, don't have to pay to have an account as long as money is going in by direct debit, and don't have to pay to use ATM or cheques, but buying a box of cheques ain't half a pain in the butt ain't it.
Old Nov 17th 2004, 2:05 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Buying alcohol and being made to feel like an alcoholic
That is a major peeve, the local Hannafords won't except a passport as ID, they only except drivers license or state ID, so that's a pain, so i don't bother with them for booze...so much a pain in the butt getting booze, even a cheap bottle of wine for cooking....WTF.
Old Nov 17th 2004, 2:19 pm
You Are All Diseased

Originally Posted by Bob
That is a major peeve, the local Hannafords won't except a passport as ID, they only except drivers license or state ID, so that's a pain, so i don't bother with them for booze...so much a pain in the butt getting booze, even a cheap bottle of wine for cooking....WTF.
I had no trouble with my UK licence when I had it. In my county, it didn't matter what ID it was as long as it had a photo and had my birth date on it.
Old Nov 17th 2004, 2:40 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
That is a major peeve, the local Hannafords won't except a passport as ID, they only except drivers license or state ID,
In most places it's up to the alcohol seller (bar, liquor store, etc.) whether they accept passports. The problem is that the law affords them zero protection if they get busted for selling alcohol to a minor with a passport, whereas they have some kind of case if it was a fake drivers licence. So, most don't take the risk.

Well, reading this thread makes me very happy to be in Santa Fe. Some reasons:
1. Small town, so not too much driving between strip malls.
2. All my windows are double-glazed.
3. A lot of parallel parking - so people learn. (They're still crap at it though.)
4. Road works are continuous, so you never get surprised by them.
5. Large number of foreigners and immigrants, so I don't get the "cute accent, where's it from?" crap every five minutes.
6. Free banking. Even the people who do pay for checks pay about $15/box.
7. Good radio stations (but the same crappy TV stations).
8. Pepper mills at restaurants.
9. Buying alcohol is very much an expected, no, required activity in NM.
10. Can buy wine, beer, hard stuff everywhere. Can even get a bottle of Scotch at the gas station.
11. Nobody's beating down my door trying to make me religious.

But many of the other pet peeves mentioned apply here too. For example, you can still find dirt roads in downtown Santa Fe! Yes, real dirt roads in the city! And none of our liquor stores are drive-through anymore. No roundabouts. (Well, OK, there are two that I know of.) Traffic lights that are poorly timed and do not respond to emergency vehicles.

Anyway, don't get me wrong - many Brits would have a hard time living down here. For example, if I want something that's not in Santa Fe, it's an hour to Albuquerque. Not in ABQ? No problem, Denver's only six hours away...
Old Nov 17th 2004, 3:01 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

I had no trouble with my UK licence when I had it. In my county, it didn't matter what ID it was as long as it had a photo and had my birth date on it.
Yup, most places are the same, even used the EAD for it, so it has come in handy after all
Just the hannafords, they only accept Maine drivers or state ID's, and licences from the new england area, anywhere else and they call the manager, if it ain't a drivers license, they don't take it...and there a big grocerystore, like sainsburys...well annoying that....what with all the sales they have on the booze

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.