Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Pet Peeves peculiar to living in the USofA

Pet Peeves peculiar to living in the USofA

Old Nov 10th 2004, 4:08 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pet Peeves peculiar to living in the USofA

Originally Posted by Patrick
Errr....you moved something about naturalization from a forum with many naturalized people or people going through naturalization to a forum full of people asking which visa they can enter the country on. People who arent even here yet, never mind naturalized - so yes some plonker does post it on the forum.l Yet a question about I-94 is left on the USA forum, the I-94 which is a visa is not moved to visa forum which is full of visa information but left on the USA site - there is no consistancy (well yes there is, threads that should not be moved are and threads that quite possibly could be moved are not - consistantly).

If you want a family sight go to Disney.com, the problem is that posts are deleted based on the standards of the moderator and not the standard of the forum. We are all adults and as such people should be treated as such, deciding that a post does not meet your approval and deleting it is treating posters like children with the mod as the teacher. It is not in the moderators job to set the moral standard of the forum
That post got moved because it was to do with immigration, not a lounge or lifestyle question, as for the I-94, anyone else could have moved that, I'm not around to read every post made.

And rude posts are for the take it outside forum, not the lounge, which although isn't disney, is still for the general public and family members could be reading it to. As for deleting threads, they get deleted because they are either requested by the poster, there spam, or there just plain out of order like the bigley beheadings. I'm not imposing my moral standards on anyone.
Old Nov 10th 2004, 4:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celtic_Angel
aww well i don't think it's fair to call that an American phenomenon.......you get that everywhere you go especially amoungst teenagers and the like..........the town i'm from everybody tends to say "yeah" it's something you tend to outgrow....well most of us

hehe actually if i remember correctly we'd answer our own questions.......
you don't want this , no?

shall we go to the store,yeah?

Awww god hee hee it's all coming flooding back! :scared:
I am not just talking about kids... I work with the public so talk to a lot of people and I am talking about old people as well as young.

Also I don't remember it happening nearly as much in the UK and I only left 2 years ago.

Ash
Old Nov 10th 2004, 4:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Don't even get me started on the popularity here of newborn baby boys being circumcised...in many cases just "so they'll look like their father" (There is a huge cut/uncut thread about this currently taking place in "The Lounge" forum.....)
I am with ya on that one... I thought it was really weird when I went into labour with my daughter (I did not know what I was having) after I arrived at the hospital they asked me if its a boy did I want him done I said no and they gave me a form to sign to say I didn't want it done... it seemed really strange like they automatically do boys.

Ash
Old Nov 10th 2004, 7:20 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute
Default Roundabouts!

The only reason I wish they had them in the US is so that I could've learnt to drive them!

I'm an American with close ties to the UK (but forced to live in the US for a while). Hard to find a category to slot me in, but I have some of the same yearnings for things UK (especially English). I have nightmares with roundabouts though. I tense up when I see one coming. Any sense of direction I once possessed gets lost once I go in a circle! that and remembering the rules: look right first, yield to them, get on roundabout assuming no traffic/light green, the cars on MY left are supposed to yield to me but mostly do not, THEN look for my exit.
Old Nov 10th 2004, 8:08 pm
Forum Regular

PBC_1966 will become famous soon enoughPBC_1966 will become famous soon enough

I'm peeved that it's legal in the USA to allow cats to be de-clawed.

It seems to be so cruel (and I'm not overkeen on cats). One lady in our street has six "indoor" cats - they have all been de-clawed and have never been outside. I see the poor things gazing out of the windows.
As a cat lover, I agree fully on that one. Claws are the natural defensive mechanism for a cat, and to deprive them of their defenses is a terrible crime in my opinion. Anyone who is more concerned about whether they might get a few scratches on their furniture than with the welfare of their pet has no business to have animals in the first place. Besides, it's really not difficult to train a cat to not scratch the furniture. O.K., there may be an occasional lapse, but if you can't live with that, you should not keep pets.

Cats are also creatures who need to be free to roam. I believe that to keep them permanently shut up within the house when they can see the big wide world outside is extremely unfair.

BTW, last time I was in England, I noticed that the latest obsession is to fill every roundabout with traffic lights just to make it totally unusable.
I always seem to be the lone voice when I point out that I hate roundabouts. They're totally unnecessary, and especially where they have multiple lanes they're nothing but a nuisance as cars try to switch lanes and avoid each other. So for me, a lack of roundabouts is actually a plus point. But they seem to be creeping in gradually around America. When I was in Nebraska there was no mention of roundabouts in the state driver's manual, but I notice that a section has been inserted for them now.

As for llights on roundabouts, I wonder what the designers must be thinking. There are several like this in Norwich now, and they're a nightmare. I can't understand the light phasing either. There are several where you get a green light as you enter the roundabout, think you have right-of-way, but then find cars still speeding toward you from the right.

Mini-roundabouts are nothing but a menace. Putting two or more of the things right next to each other is plain crazy. There's a double-mini-roundabout like this in a nearby town, and even people who like normal roundabouts complain about its diabolical layout and preferred the intersection as it used to be.
Old Nov 10th 2004, 8:19 pm
Forum Regular

PBC_1966 will become famous soon enoughPBC_1966 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by elfman
What I find really strange is the way (at least on our cable system) that you sometimes see the first half second of an advert, or even a whole second, long enough for you to recognise what the ad is for, before it then abruptly cuts to a completely different ad and the one they started to show disappears. That happens all the time whenever I watch telly. Anybody else noticed that?
A lot of that on cable systems is to do with FCC regulations. Licensing agreements may not allow certain commercials to be shown outside the station's normal broadcast area, so the satellite feed is often switched to alternate commercials at breaks so that cable networks in distant cities don't show the "wrong" commercials.

Even on the major ABC/CBS/NBC/Fox etc. networks there can be regional variations in which commercials can be shown, and if the switching isn't as precise as it should be, you can see a brief clip of the wrong commercial.

A similar thing can happen on BBC and ITV in Britain as well when it comes to regional news feeds. Here in BBC-East and Anglia-TV land, it's not uncommon to see a brief couple of seconds of the local London news feed before the program is cut to the regional studios in Norwich. I remember one evening (I forget whether it was BBC or ITV) in which we saw nearly 10 minutes of the local London news before somebody realized and cut across to the local studio feed.
Old Nov 10th 2004, 9:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
I miss roundabouts to...and decent road signs, there really bad, espcially on the highway...for instance, to get to the bcis building, the website address says to use whatever exit, doesn't help all the numbers were changed and the website didn't, so that exit goes straight off into a closed road that's becoming part of the extended runway, but oh well...so bad road signs, and no decent notice of exits is one.

Having to pay for incoming calls on mobiles, having no off peak charges, and thats for all utilities, and also, having phone calls rounded up to the minute.

Resumes, can't stand them, there all fine and dandy if you've loads of experience, but as a recent graduate, they suck, a CV looks far more impressive

How shite the car milages are over here, in general, but also with the european imports.

How early it gets light and dark over here, espcially in maine anyway.

The complete lack of double glazing, can feel the wind straight through the windows

Curtains, there aren't any, there all blinds, and if you do get curtains, the curtain rails are flimsy and shite so can't hold any decent curtains to stop the light getting through, and more importantly to trap the drafts. Maybe that's from living in apartments, but it's the norm in all the places I've seen in this state too.

Bad parking, ok, that's a peeve fullstop, but made worse over here because there is so much more space to park that there shouldn't be an excuse for taking up three parking spots *l*

How early people go to bed over here, well in maine, just so early, the "city", which by blighty standards isn't much bigger than a large village, is so quiet and empty at night, even on the weekends. That's not so much a peeve, but just a weird observation.

Is there a high birth rate there? Hee hee!

Old Nov 10th 2004, 10:49 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Roundabouts and articulated lorries: I laugh when I think of an 18-wheeler trying to negotiate a roundabout of any size less than those near the motorways. They'd wipe out the entire beautifully landscaped centre, I think! And then there are the European truck drivers.... we had one stop in front of us on a busy A road -- with one lane in each direction. We were stuck. He was from Italy, and I had to explain to him in very broken Italian and in desperation, fluent Spanish, how to get his lorry to a particular village because some of the roads couldn't accommodate the weight limits.

As to going to bed early -- I couldn't believe how early the shops closed up in the UK. I think this is going to depend on which part of each country you live in, but in general, for better or for worse, the US is a 24x7x365 country where the UK is definitely not. In Austin, we have a busy live music scene, and most gigs don't start until 11 pm.
Old Nov 16th 2004, 1:54 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lothianlad
Is there a high birth rate there? Hee hee!
Actually, yeah, there does seem to be a large rise in birth rate around 9 months after particular bad storms *l*
Old Nov 16th 2004, 6:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

A few pet peeves of mine that I don't think have been mentioned yet.

Being expected to eat your salad, butter your bread and eat your main course with the same cutlery in restaurants...ewwww.

Paying for checkbooks and bank charges in general.

All the taxes on utility bills.

The mobile phone rip off.
Old Nov 16th 2004, 1:15 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Taffyles
A few pet peeves of mine that I don't think have been mentioned yet.

Being expected to eat your salad, butter your bread and eat your main course with the same cutlery in restaurants...ewwww.

<<snip>>
Sounds you're going to the wrong dining establishments!

NC Penguin
Old Nov 16th 2004, 2:31 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Sounds you're going to the wrong dining establishments!

NC Penguin
...and banking at all the wrong places too...

Last edited by AdobePinon; Nov 16th 2004 at 2:34 pm.
Old Nov 16th 2004, 3:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
...and banking at all the wrong places too...

I bank with Wachovia. Which bank gives free check books?
Old Nov 16th 2004, 3:14 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Taffyles
I bank with Wachovia. Which bank gives free check books?
Check the smaller local banks and credit unions. Most of the national banks are rips. (Although I've heard good stuff about Washington Mutual.) You should also ask if direct depositing your paycheck qualifies you for free stuff.

For reference, I don't pay monthly charges, don't pay for checkbooks, don't have a per check fee, don't have a minimum balance, don't pay for wire transfers. In fact, I don't pay for anything and you should have it that way too. DEMAND IT!
Old Nov 16th 2004, 3:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
Check the smaller local banks and credit unions. Most of the national banks are rips. (Although I've heard good stuff about Washington Mutual.) You should also ask if direct depositing your paycheck qualifies you for free stuff.

For reference, I don't pay monthly charges, don't pay for checkbooks, don't have a per check fee, don't have a minimum balance, don't pay for wire transfers. In fact, I don't pay for anything and you should have it that way too. DEMAND IT!
That's why we are with Wachovia- our paychecks are deposited there and we get so called "free" banking...actually starting this month we get free online banking- which used to cost $6.95 monthly and they stopped charging us for having debit cards about a year ago. Still have to pay for check books and some other miscellaneous charges like wire transfers etc though. Credit unions are too inconvenient and smaller banks in Florida too risky (they often get taken over anyway). We did try a small local bank years ago and they made so many mistakes it was a joke.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.