Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Pet Peeves peculiar to living in the USofA

Pet Peeves peculiar to living in the USofA

Old Nov 9th 2004, 4:26 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pet Peeves peculiar to living in the USofA

Originally Posted by Patrick
My pet peeve for this website (as most of you will know) is moderators moving threads for no reason or censoring posts they disagree with. Stop it moderators, your job is to moderate not meddle.
Errr....things get moved because plonkers post in the wrong forums, things get deleted because it's still supposed to be a family site.
Old Nov 9th 2004, 5:13 am
Time Lord

dgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond repute

One of my pet peeves is when people say" Hi, How Are You Today?", and don't actually expect you to answer. On more than one occasion I've tried to reply, only to find the person has walked away. My other one is when I hear of people describing World War II as starting in 1941, as President Bush has done on more than one occasion.

Last edited by dgsyd1; Nov 9th 2004 at 5:19 am.
Old Nov 9th 2004, 11:37 am
UK & US Citizen

ScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond repute

The complete misuse of the English language, for example

How can something have more taste?

Patrick
Use MSG
Old Nov 9th 2004, 12:14 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

US checking account bank statements!

I don't know about yours but when I try to reconcile my bank statements with receipts, the check ledger, etc. it's a real pain.

The space for the description of the vendor does not usually contain its name, the most obvious identifier. It's usually their address!

And my no. one peeve while on the subject of things financial is why the heck are all the bank notes/bills the same color and size? Is it that when the bills were first being printed, they only had green ink?

Reminds me of the scene in the Grifters when the John Cusack character's in a bar and cheekily hands the barman a lower denomination bill than the bartab (the value of the bill is not seen 'cos the bill/bills is/are folded).
Old Nov 9th 2004, 12:21 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Re: Pet Peeves peculiar to living in the USofA

I'm peeved that it's legal in the USA to allow cats to be de-clawed.

It seems to be so cruel (and I'm not overkeen on cats). One lady in our street has six "indoor" cats - they have all been de-clawed and have never been outside. I see the poor things gazing out of the windows.

Don't even get me started on the popularity here of newborn baby boys being circumcised...in many cases just "so they'll look like their father" (There is a huge cut/uncut thread about this currently taking place in "The Lounge" forum.....)
Old Nov 9th 2004, 12:36 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ScousePete
Use MSG
This is so true! Also, adding more fat and sugar creates more "taste".

I blame those labs in NJ that formulate the artificial flavors!
Old Nov 9th 2004, 12:53 pm
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
Americans excessive use ofone or two words, example...

I like thought I would get online tonight because the house is like totally quiet and I like needed to check my mail because I like totally thought I would have lots but there was like totally none...

aww well i don't think it's fair to call that an American phenomenon.......you get that everywhere you go especially amoungst teenagers and the like..........the town i'm from everybody tends to say "yeah" it's something you tend to outgrow....well most of us

hehe actually if i remember correctly we'd answer our own questions.......
you don't want this , no?

shall we go to the store,yeah?

Awww god hee hee it's all coming flooding back! :scared:
Old Nov 9th 2004, 1:01 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
I'm peeved that it's legal in the USA to allow cats to be de-clawed.
You get some karma for that one but I wish you hadn't mentioned it. It's a real huge, gigantic, epic proportion peeve of mine too. It's not declawing, it's amputation. They actually remove the bones. It's cruel, barbaric and the US is one of the few countries that hasn't outlawed this hideous procedure.

There are also people who will have their dogs debarked too. Not as common but it happens.
Old Nov 9th 2004, 1:07 pm
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Englishmum]..in many cases just "so they'll look like their father" /QUOTE]

Well obviously you're talking about me Englishmum because i'm the only one who did circumcise my son for that very reason...and so he'd look like all the other boys in the country

do you even live in the U.s? if you do you'll know that most mothers don't even go through this decision process and their son just gets cut
so your theory on them getting cut just to look like their father is moot they actually believe the health issues arguement presented to them and don't even question circumcision

slowly but surely i hope this to eventually change
Old Nov 10th 2004, 1:21 am
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Errr....things get moved because plonkers post in the wrong forums.
Errr....you moved something about naturalization from a forum with many naturalized people or people going through naturalization to a forum full of people asking which visa they can enter the country on. People who arent even here yet, never mind naturalized - so yes some plonker does post it on the forum.l Yet a question about I-94 is left on the USA forum, the I-94 which is a visa is not moved to visa forum which is full of visa information but left on the USA site - there is no consistancy (well yes there is, threads that should not be moved are and threads that quite possibly could be moved are not - consistantly).

Originally Posted by Bob
things get deleted because it's still supposed to be a family site.
If you want a family sight go to Disney.com, the problem is that posts are deleted based on the standards of the moderator and not the standard of the forum. We are all adults and as such people should be treated as such, deciding that a post does not meet your approval and deleting it is treating posters like children with the mod as the teacher. It is not in the moderators job to set the moral standard of the forum
Old Nov 10th 2004, 1:48 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celtic_Angel
aww well i don't think it's fair to call that an American phenomenon.......you get that everywhere you go especially amoungst teenagers and the like..........the town i'm from everybody tends to say "yeah" it's something you tend to outgrow....well most of us

hehe actually if i remember correctly we'd answer our own questions.......
you don't want this , no?

shall we go to the store,yeah?

Awww god hee hee it's all coming flooding back! :scared:
Actually, adding the word "yeah" at the end of a statement (not question)seems to have crept into the UK vernacular since I left in 1983. I don't remember anyone back then saying "Well, we were going to the pub, yeah?, when we came across this bloke, yeah?" etc.

Am I imagining things? What's the point of it (sounds to me to be saying "are you understanding what I'm saying?")?
Old Nov 10th 2004, 2:39 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Pet Peeves peculiar to living in the USofA

[QUOTE=Celtic_Angel]
..in many cases just "so they'll look like their father" /QUOTE]

Well obviously you're talking about me Englishmum because i'm the only one who did circumcise my son for that very reason...and so he'd look like all the other boys in the country

do you even live in the U.s? if you do you'll know that most mothers don't even go through this decision process and their son just gets cut
so your theory on them getting cut just to look like their father is moot they actually believe the health issues arguement presented to them and don't even question circumcision

slowly but surely i hope this to eventually change
Yes, I live in New Jersey. However, we lived in Singapore before that which has a huge expat community from all over the world. The local population is 80% Chinese and they don't normally circumcise baby boys, so it isn't offered as a matter of course at the maternity hospitals there (on the other hand there are what we Westerners would consider to be weird practices/celebrations amongst the Chinese/Malay/Tamil population but nothing as barbaric as circumcision).

I was very aware of the circumcision debate though....many expat wives have babies when on a posting and in the clubs, associations, coffee mornings etc. it was often a topic the pregnant mums would discuss; it wasn't just American mums who would think it a necessity, but a surprising amount of Aussie mums did too. I was informed that a lot of little boys run around naked in Oz and so were at risk of picking up an infection through the soil....I really don't know how valid that is to be honest.
Old Nov 10th 2004, 3:10 am
Back Again

Originally Posted by dunroving
Actually, adding the word "yeah" at the end of a statement (not question)seems to have crept into the UK vernacular since I left in 1983. I don't remember anyone back then saying "Well, we were going to the pub, yeah?, when we came across this bloke, yeah?" etc.

Am I imagining things? What's the point of it (sounds to me to be saying "are you understanding what I'm saying?")?
Argh!! it's nuts heehee
it's funny you said all that cos that's how it is back home, it's yeah after everything, lol this sounds really stupid lol but we'd even go so far as to say it twice!!!!

LMAO like in your above statement you proceeded with" and he was holding a shovel yeah, and that was really weird yeah? and I'd reply with "yeah,yeah"

I've outgrown it all now though yeah
Old Nov 10th 2004, 3:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I used to complain about repeats in the Uk......but then I came here.

Why on Earth do they show programmes like the "Apprentice" on a Thursday night (although they inexplicably changed it one week to a Wednesday) and then show it *again* in prime time in the same week on a Saturday night?
Saturday night is the night the TV executives least worry about. Thats why you get the repeats of the big shows like Survivor and the Apprentice at the weekends. The one night the Apprentice was moved, was due to the presidential debate.
Old Nov 10th 2004, 4:05 am
UK & US Citizen

ScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond repute

Errr....you moved something about naturalization from a forum with many naturalized people or people going through naturalization to a forum full of people asking which visa they can enter the country on. People who arent even here yet, never mind naturalized - so yes some plonker does post it on the forum.l Yet a question about I-94 is left on the USA forum, the I-94 which is a visa is not moved to visa forum which is full of visa information but left on the USA site - there is no consistancy (well yes there is, threads that should not be moved are and threads that quite possibly could be moved are not - consistantly).

If you want a family sight go to Disney.com, the problem is that posts are deleted based on the standards of the moderator and not the standard of the forum. We are all adults and as such people should be treated as such, deciding that a post does not meet your approval and deleting it is treating posters like children with the mod as the teacher. It is not in the moderators job to set the moral standard of the forum
Welcome back Patrick

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.