Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Pet Peeves peculiar to living in the USofA

Pet Peeves peculiar to living in the USofA

Old Nov 8th 2004, 6:58 pm
Franklin

Angry Pet Peeves peculiar to living in the USofA

Come on ... got to have a few.

I have loads, biggest one is the lack of roundabouts. The number of times I have come off at a wrong exit and driven miles before I could get back on course. How I miss them, roundabouts I mean! God how I miss them!

It's no funny matter either. On one occasion the map told me to get off at exit "#7" (I think it was #7, but my mind has removed most of my memory because of the trauma of it all!) ... but there was exit 7A, 7B, 7C ... you get the picture. I took the wrong exit and boy did I get payback. I was driving a truck full of furniture from Chicago to my "new" apartment near DC. I ended up on what I can only describe as an unwanted journey into rural USA ... exit road turned into a narrow country lane and I started to panic. The truck was very big and the roof was getting an undeserved thrashing from low cut trees and tree branches ... but there was a ditch running parallel to the narrow road and I couldn't risk a 3 point turn ... finally I drove onto someone's long drive and finally managed a 3 point turn (more like a 10 point the truck was so big and awkward). Boy was that a terrible panic/mess.

Roundabouts ... Give me roundabouts or give me death! Mutated from Patrick Henry's "Give me liberty or give me death!"

Old Nov 8th 2004, 7:25 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pet Peeves peculiar to living in the USofA

Ah, you've just got to choose where you live !

There's at least 8 of them in that map!

BTW, last time I was in England, I noticed that the latest obsession is to fill every roundabout with traffic lights just to make it totally unusable. In fact, a few days of traffic light-perverted roundabouts, speed cameras and obsessive-compulsive lane markings leaves me ready to head back to Heathrow...

Last edited by AdobePinon; Nov 8th 2004 at 7:27 pm.
Old Nov 8th 2004, 7:30 pm
Forum Regular

megs is on a distinguished road

Strip malls and box stores that are deliberately designed to make you drive from one to another, or risk your life playing chicken on four lane highways.
Old Nov 8th 2004, 7:37 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I miss roundabouts to...and decent road signs, there really bad, espcially on the highway...for instance, to get to the bcis building, the website address says to use whatever exit, doesn't help all the numbers were changed and the website didn't, so that exit goes straight off into a closed road that's becoming part of the extended runway, but oh well...so bad road signs, and no decent notice of exits is one.

Having to pay for incoming calls on mobiles, having no off peak charges, and thats for all utilities, and also, having phone calls rounded up to the minute.

Resumes, can't stand them, there all fine and dandy if you've loads of experience, but as a recent graduate, they suck, a CV looks far more impressive

How shite the car milages are over here, in general, but also with the european imports.

How early it gets light and dark over here, espcially in maine anyway.

The complete lack of double glazing, can feel the wind straight through the windows

Curtains, there aren't any, there all blinds, and if you do get curtains, the curtain rails are flimsy and shite so can't hold any decent curtains to stop the light getting through, and more importantly to trap the drafts. Maybe that's from living in apartments, but it's the norm in all the places I've seen in this state too.

Bad parking, ok, that's a peeve fullstop, but made worse over here because there is so much more space to park that there shouldn't be an excuse for taking up three parking spots *l*

How early people go to bed over here, well in maine, just so early, the "city", which by blighty standards isn't much bigger than a large village, is so quiet and empty at night, even on the weekends. That's not so much a peeve, but just a weird observation.
Old Nov 8th 2004, 7:42 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patent Attorney
Come on ... got to have a few.

I have loads, biggest one is the lack of roundabouts. The number of times I have come off at a wrong exit and driven miles before I could get back on course. How I miss them, roundabouts I mean! God how I miss them!

It's no funny matter either. On one occasion the map told me to get off at exit "#7" (I think it was #7, but my mind has removed most of my memory because of the trauma of it all!) ... but there was exit 7A, 7B, 7C ... you get the picture. <<snip>>
Did you use online mapping software to get the route? In my experience, Mapquest is guilty of not putting sufficient info about exits on its directions, i.e. when an a single number exit actually consists of A, B, C, etc.

For that reason, I usually use www.mappoint.com (owned by Microsquish, I mean Microsoft).

I've noticed that some Americans like to take their lives into their hands if they get off at the wrong exit by reversing back onto the exit (into the direction of traffic getting off the exit at faster than posted speeds) and back onto the highway or Interstate. :scared:
Old Nov 8th 2004, 7:53 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

One of my pet peeves is the library of "SALE!" flyers I get with every Sunday newspaper. What a waste of paper!

And on the subject of newspapers, I also get peeved by the number of spelling errors in our local rag.

And the number of letters to the Editor that carp on about Christianity, including the obligatory Bible quote.

See, now you've got me started.... I miss British newspapers!
Old Nov 8th 2004, 8:05 pm
Franklin

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Did you use online mapping software to get the route? In my experience, Mapquest is guilty of not putting sufficient info about exits on its directions, i.e. when an a single number exit actually consists of A, B, C, etc.

For that reason, I usually use www.mappoint.com (owned by Microsquish, I mean Microsoft).

I've noticed that some Americans like to take their lives into their hands if they get off at the wrong exit by reversing back onto the exit (into the direction of traffic getting off the exit at faster than posted speeds) and back onto the highway or Interstate. :scared:
All I know is I want to do a Pope. Kiss the ground around a roundabout back in blighty. Call it sacred ground. Ban all Highlander combats on that sacred ground and worship that ground. Oh, I want to build a house on a roundabout, put it on stilts and call it a cathedral. I want to be buried in that Cathedral because it is above sacred ground. I want my living hands to constantly hold a piece of sacred ground. The only way anybody could take my piece of sacred ground is from my cold dead fingers!

Old Nov 8th 2004, 8:20 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patent Attorney
All I know is I want to do a Pope. <<snip>>
These days, if someone says something like the above, I assume they "want to croak!"

Or, you want to wear what is essentially a yarmullkeh (sp?) and sound unintelligible?

NC Penguin
Old Nov 8th 2004, 9:20 pm
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

Well I've never even driven in the u.K i learnt to drive in good ol' louisianna hehe

I've been here a while and one thing still really gets my goat!

Why oh why do we have to endure 10mins of commercials ....well every ten mins!!!

And then you endure the last 10 mins of commercials and all you get for your wait is closing titles!! grrr!
Old Nov 8th 2004, 9:32 pm
Franklin

Originally Posted by Bob
I miss roundabouts to...and decent road signs, there really bad, espcially on the highway...

**snip**
Yeah, we would half the price of oil if road signage was up to par.

Around DC you can get lost, get lost again, get totally lost (even with a DC metro area map at your side) and still be lost miles away from your ultimate destination. Because of bad signage and lack of roundabouts it is very easy to travel miles in the wrong direction.

Only NW DC makes sense (it has a grid/block system similar to Chicago).

Thing is, make a mistake (or two) in and around DC and you can find yourself in a very dangerous part of town ... and lost too!

I think the high DC murder rate is linked to bad road signs. People unintentionally drive up the wrong street in a wrong part of town at the wrong time. (Bit Kerryesque, sorry).

Tip: if you visit DC get a cab! Don't drive around DC!

Last edited by Patent Attorney; Nov 8th 2004 at 9:39 pm.

Old Nov 8th 2004, 10:01 pm
Forum Regular

Texas Brit has a brilliant futureTexas Brit has a brilliant futureTexas Brit has a brilliant futureTexas Brit has a brilliant futureTexas Brit has a brilliant futureTexas Brit has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
Ah, you've just got to choose where you live !
Yes but your town is called "Bend" -- roundabouts are a matter of civic pride.
Old Nov 8th 2004, 10:03 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
<snip> to get to the bcis building, <snip> , so that exit goes straight off into a closed road that's becoming part of the extended runway
Sounds to me like they're trying to give you a big hint....
Old Nov 8th 2004, 10:04 pm
Powder Maggot

Originally Posted by Texas Brit
Yes but your town is called "Bend" -- roundabouts are a matter of civic pride.
(Well, Bend is on my wish list at least - damned good brewery.)
Old Nov 8th 2004, 10:30 pm
Franklin

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
Sounds to me like they're trying to give you a big hint....

cute!!!

Old Nov 8th 2004, 10:35 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

My pet peeve. They'll start a new season of a TV show, then in the middle of it, flip back to and old one so you don't know what the hell's going on. Then after that they seem to alternate between new show, old show. WTF!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.