Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Paying for rental property

Paying for rental property

Old Dec 7th 2017, 10:28 am
Just Joined

Andyoxon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Paying for rental property

Hi we are about to rent our first property in America we are doing this remotely from the U.K. we decided to only look at properties marketed through agents as we wouldn’t be visiting the property or meeting the owner etc so were concerned about scams. I feel that the property we are renting is all above board but the agent is asking us to pay the first months rent and deposit direct to the owner instead of to the agent, is this normal? In the U.K. if you use a letting agent you normally pay the letting company who take their cut and pass the rest on they also hold the deposit.

Just wanted to hear if this is the norm.

Many thanks
Old Dec 7th 2017, 11:46 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Paying for rental property

This would be normal for Texas. You should check the agent is registered https://www.myfloridalicense.com/wl11.asp?mode=0&SID=
And check that the landlord is the owner of the property by checking property tax records for your city. You can search by address
Old Dec 7th 2017, 12:42 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't do what you're doing for all sorts of reasons - not least not having seen the location/neighborhood, and that you may well be paying a significant premium for renting through an agent.
Old Dec 7th 2017, 12:50 pm
Just Joined

I know the location Los Altos Hills we spent July there in an Air bnb. petite franchise will look that up
Old Dec 7th 2017, 2:05 pm
Forum Regular

CA-NY has a reputation beyond reputeCA-NY has a reputation beyond reputeCA-NY has a reputation beyond reputeCA-NY has a reputation beyond reputeCA-NY has a reputation beyond reputeCA-NY has a reputation beyond reputeCA-NY has a reputation beyond reputeCA-NY has a reputation beyond reputeCA-NY has a reputation beyond reputeCA-NY has a reputation beyond reputeCA-NY has a reputation beyond repute

In NJ we paid everything directly to the landlord. Here in Texas we pay the agent.
Old Dec 7th 2017, 2:18 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

In Austin, I've had 3 scenarios and I guess it depends on how much of a service you want from the agent as the landlord
most common - pay the landlord everything and then presumably they pay the agent,
pay the landlord deposit and the first full month's rent goes to the agent but after that you pay the landlord.
pay the agent everything. This tends to be less common with family homes (3/4 bedrooms in the suburbs) and I see it more with condos.
either way, if there is an unknown landlord and unknown agent involved, always, always check that the agent is licensed and that the landlord is the owner of the property. If it's a company name used for the property tax then you would check out the ownership of the company as well.
Old Dec 7th 2017, 6:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I wouldn't do what you're doing for all sorts of reasons - not least not having seen the location/neighborhood, and that you may well be paying a significant premium for renting through an agent.
What he said +

Any verifiable agent will take the payment and facilitate it to the owner. Not being willing to do so hints at fraud or some other unpleasant scenario. At the very minimum you are leaving yourself open to losing your money.

Finally, if you are having to ask the question here/ second guess yourself you already have the answer?
Old Dec 7th 2017, 8:43 pm
Just Joined

London Bill is an unknown quantity at this point

Andy

I moved here around a year ago I bought a home near Orlando Fl I am currently studying to become Estate Agent / Real Estate Associate / Realtor because I have not yet qualified I cannot charge anything or enter into any contract with you but be warned the system here is completely different to the UK. Any one engaged in any form of agency for selling or renting Properties / Real Estate must be licensed by the state it is illegal if they are not. The agency should be headed by a Broker who is covered against wrong doings by the state. Please feel free to contact me if I can help in any way. <email address snipped>

Last edited by Noorah101; Dec 7th 2017 at 10:34 pm. Reason: Personal info via PM only, please.
Old Dec 7th 2017, 9:00 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Bill very kind offer, i have managed to get proof of ownership so all good....hopefully. It all felt fine before bu5 it was a lot of money and there are. Quite a few dodgy people out there.

Thanks everyone
Old Dec 7th 2017, 9:28 pm
Just Joined

Andy

Pulaski is completely right there are some bad areas over here and you need to be sure that you like what you are getting

I can think of 2 sites you should look at the best I found is Realtor.com then there is Zillow.com and of course countless further sites. he process is that unlike the UK to be rewarded for real estate services you must be licensed by the state having passed their examination. Agencies are headed up by a broker they are responsible for all transactions. my suggestion is to use Realtor.com find a property and then use the site to review the broker concerned I will be operating in Florida not California. is it really not possible to come over stay in a hotel or similar for a week while you find what you really want ? Feel free to call me <phone number snipped> if you need help

Last edited by Noorah101; Dec 7th 2017 at 10:35 pm. Reason: Personal info via PM only, please.
Old Dec 7th 2017, 10:25 pm
Austin. TX.

I would also caution against renting a property without first looking at it. Those photos on zillow etc are done to promote the property and they can be very misleading. If you are hoping to be in a particular school area, then check it and double check the address with the school website. It's amazing how often that is wrong. If they take photos with the curtains drawn/blinds down, then they're hiding how close the next house is - look on google satelite. Don't forget that if you take a lease for 12 months then you are on the hook for the 12 months unless you manage to get a "diplomatic clause" in the lease - basically if you move for work then you give 2 month's notice. I'd always ask for it because it can be useful...
Old Dec 8th 2017, 1:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Ecto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond repute

Having moved here in the summer, we were very familiar with the areas in which we were searching and l still would strongly recommend you see the property first. One house we viewed looked fantastic online but in real life it was dreadful and totally unlivable as far as l was concerned, filthy, dated etc. Another was a four bed with a wall missing between 2 bedrooms!!!
Short term quality accommodation is far more readily available here and l would consider that to start with.
Good luck with your move.
Old Dec 8th 2017, 5:43 am
Just Joined

Petite Francais
Please forgive me if this sounds rude in any way
Just to clarify that the link you sent to AndyOxon related to Florida Real Estate Licensing. In USA Real Estate selling renting is very is strictly State based thus if as I understand he is aiming at California he needs to review their State Real Estate site to verify the broker
Old Dec 8th 2017, 12:45 pm
Austin. TX.

Originally Posted by London Bill
Petite Francais
Please forgive me if this sounds rude in any way
Just to clarify that the link you sent to AndyOxon related to Florida Real Estate Licensing. In USA Real Estate selling renting is very is strictly State based thus if as I understand he is aiming at California he needs to review their State Real Estate site to verify the broker
Ha! Bo you're absolutely right. For some reason I thought he was going to Florida. Sorry OP. Maybe London Bill you could find the right link?
Old Dec 8th 2017, 12:47 pm
Just Joined

Thanks everyone money sent

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.