Reload this Page >

Passport Twitter/Petition Campaign to speed the process up

Passport Twitter/Petition Campaign to speed the process up

Old Jun 24th 2011, 12:32 am
Forum Regular

mshedden is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Passport Twitter/Petition Campaign to speed the process up

Originally Posted by aml1982
Yeah, that makes no sense - if everyone procrastinated, then all that would be happening is the people who should have applied 3 months back would be applying now, while the people who should be applying now put it off until September. It wouldn't impact demand. It's not like all of this has been publicised so that everyone is now rushing to get their passport done. Most people don't even realise there is a delay until they start the application. The fault lies with those who inadequately planned for the move to process all North American/Caribbean apps in Washington.
Agreed. The 'unprecedented demand' story is IMHO BS. I would imagine for the most part that the number of passports renewed / applied for is a fairly predictable number on a monthly basis - although it may be higher at different times of year, they know the demand curve better than anyone.

Something is busted in the system. Software most likely.

In 1999, as has been previously pointed out, it was the implementation of a new (and not properly functioning) computer system that caused the problems.

Now in 2011, obviously they've been changing their system as part of the 5 step plan to get all passport processing back to the UK.
Old Jun 24th 2011, 12:34 am
LP9
Forum Regular

LP9 is a glorious beacon of lightLP9 is a glorious beacon of lightLP9 is a glorious beacon of lightLP9 is a glorious beacon of lightLP9 is a glorious beacon of lightLP9 is a glorious beacon of lightLP9 is a glorious beacon of lightLP9 is a glorious beacon of lightLP9 is a glorious beacon of lightLP9 is a glorious beacon of lightLP9 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by mshedden
Agreed. The 'unprecedented demand' story is IMHO BS. I would imagine for the most part that the number of passports renewed / applied for is a fairly predictable number on a monthly basis - although it may be higher at different times of year, they know the demand curve better than anyone.

Something is busted in the system. Software most likely.

In 1999, as has been previously pointed out, it was the implementation of a new (and not properly functioning) computer system that caused the problems.

Now in 2011, obviously they've been changing their system as part of the 5 step plan to get all passport processing back to the UK.
This uptick in applications happens every year, right before summer kicks off, so if they aren't prepared and adequately staffed for it, its simple mismanagement.
Old Jun 24th 2011, 1:08 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by LP9
This uptick in applications happens every year, right before summer kicks off, so if they aren't prepared and adequately staffed for it, its simple mismanagement.
There's got to be more to it than that, methinks...they were supposed to be printing all passports in the UK starting April, but they're not. Something is wrong...

Here's a little vid, while we're waiting...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k64t49JwOvA
Old Jun 24th 2011, 1:20 am
Forum Regular

There's got to be more to it than that, methinks...they were supposed to be printing all passports in the UK starting April, but they're not. Something is wrong...

Oh, and IPS took over all passport processing April 1, 2011. Coincidence?
Old Jun 24th 2011, 2:13 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like a nightmare when it gets to number 5. We'd have to mail our own passports to the UK for renewal, and they mail them back to you. I suppose they haven't noticed that parcels from the UK are taking months too
Old Jun 24th 2011, 5:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond repute

Voted.

This whole thing is b/s , basically we are being held hostage while the trained monkeys take their sweet time processing passports.
And Bob .. I'm going to be said 'monkeys' have more than 1 week vacation a year.
Old Jun 24th 2011, 6:02 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Sounds like a nightmare when it gets to number 5. We'd have to mail our own passports to the UK for renewal, and they mail them back to you. I suppose they haven't noticed that parcels from the UK are taking months too
I'm sure they will expect you to FED-EX it to them for $75 and charge you $75 to FED-EX it back. This is of course saving money because the PUNTER now absorbs the cost, and what alternative do we punters have anyway?
Old Jun 24th 2011, 6:37 am
Just Joined

cheryl56 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by LP9
Talking to someone who has a contact inside the office. The higher ups are saying its our fault for procrastinating.....like we knew it was going to take 4 months. You expect 4 weeks, so you plan for 6-8 weeks, and then get screwed.
That's such a load of BS,I don't think me sending off for my 2 daughters PP renewals at the end of Feb,with travel date the end of June is procrastinating!!! I'm one of the lucky ones...we received them 11th June after many phonecalls to Careline and the British Consulate in LA. If I hadn't kept calling I'm pretty certain I would still be waiting!!!
Old Jun 24th 2011, 7:25 am
Custom User

brax is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh to have the option to send our applications to the UK. I would have happily paid for courier service each way to avoid this trauma.
Old Jun 24th 2011, 2:13 pm
Forum Regular

aml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to all

Got another reply from the office of Lilian Greenwood (MP for Nottingham South). The issue is being brought to her attention. Not much else doing - hopefully if she can't do anything to escalate this personally, she may be able to increase awareness of it.
Old Jun 24th 2011, 7:09 pm
LP9
Forum Regular

LP9 is a glorious beacon of lightLP9 is a glorious beacon of lightLP9 is a glorious beacon of lightLP9 is a glorious beacon of lightLP9 is a glorious beacon of lightLP9 is a glorious beacon of lightLP9 is a glorious beacon of lightLP9 is a glorious beacon of lightLP9 is a glorious beacon of lightLP9 is a glorious beacon of lightLP9 is a glorious beacon of light

I'm still working on everything folks. I've made some good contacts, and making some headway.

Please try to email everyone you know.....the more the story is out there, the more likely it is to get in front of someone important.
Old Jun 25th 2011, 8:21 pm
LP9
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by LP9
I'm still working on everything folks. I've made some good contacts, and making some headway.

Please try to email everyone you know.....the more the story is out there, the more likely it is to get in front of someone important.
I posted the site on WUSA 9's Facebook page. They are so far the only news outlet either side of the pond that have covered the story.

Please go here and comment https://www.facebook.com/WUSA9?sk=wall and help us all out.

Thanks,

Stephen.
Old Jun 26th 2011, 12:20 am
LP9
Forum Regular

Ok folks, help me help you.

3 days this site has been up.
2000 page views.
And only 36 petition signatures.
24 votes on 38 degrees.

I know there are a lot more of you than that are affected just here on this site.
Plus everyone else should be supporting their fellow countrymen. There are very nearly 150,000 members here.

Please show your support!
Old Jun 26th 2011, 12:45 am
Forum Regular

aml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to allaml1982 is a name known to all

Just tweeted William Hague. I don't know how helpful it will be, but I have a friend who's a hardcore Twitter user and also a conservative, and he suggested to me that Hague is pretty good about reading and responding to tweets. We shall see.
Old Jun 26th 2011, 12:48 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LP9
Ok folks, help me help you.

3 days this site has been up.
2000 page views.
And only 36 petition signatures.
24 votes on 38 degrees.

I know there are a lot more of you than that are affected just here on this site.
Plus everyone else should be supporting their fellow countrymen. There are very nearly 150,000 members here.

Please show your support!
I think it's a case of having to sign up to so many things to vote etc that's putting me off.

Edit: perhaps if there was a list of people you've tweeted, the politicians, news peoples etc, all in one list?

Last edited by Bob; Jun 26th 2011 at 12:52 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.