Reload this Page >

passport renewal

passport renewal

Old Apr 12th 2016, 3:41 pm
Just Joined

dunblane is an unknown quantity at this point
Default passport renewal

Hi

I'm not sure if there is a thread already for this but heres my problem.

I've lived in the usa for 16yrs and my UK passport expired 11yrs ago and because i never needed it i never renewed it. well now i need to get back to the UK to visit my mum who has alzheimers and her memory is going. Anyway i need to know where do i go to get a new passport. I guess what i've read online is that i need a new one as i've got married and have a different surname, instead of a straight renewal.

I just can't find where i'm supposed to go online to get the forms etc to do this, so frustrating as i seem to be going round in circles

so any help would be so appreciated
Old Apr 12th 2016, 3:46 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: passport renewal

Unless you need to stay longer than six months, a US passport will be fine to visit the UK. ..... And you can renew/ replace your British passport more cheaply from there.
Old Apr 12th 2016, 3:48 pm
Just Joined

i don't have a US passport i have an expired UK passport as im not a USA citizen just a permanent resident, i need to know how to renew/replace UK passport here in the USA
Old Apr 12th 2016, 3:50 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Here you go!
Old Apr 12th 2016, 4:01 pm
Just Joined

do i have to send it to the UK i thought you sent it to DC i'm so confused
Old Apr 12th 2016, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by dunblane
DC is closed for passports, as is every other embassy around the world. All British passport applications are processed in the UK now, and have been for several years.

If it's a "life or death" matter, you might be able to get an emergency travel document from DC. It is also possible that an airline might let you board with an expired British passport, as it is generally thought that a British citizen is always entitled to enter the UK, and I doubt you would be denied - so getting an airline to allow you to board would likely be your biggest hurdle, especially as your passport expired so long ago.

Thinking of which, your expired passport is probably one which is not machine readable, so you may have to go through extra steps to get a new passport, over and above a straight "renewal", even allowing for change of name.

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 12th 2016 at 4:16 pm.
Old Apr 12th 2016, 4:20 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

The application is sent to the UK. I renewed mine a few months ago...a received my new pp within the week. Unfortunately your application will be treated as a first time application and not a renewal...therefore it will take longer.

If it is an emergency you may be able to obtain an ETA...emergency travel document. This will mean a trip to a UK embassy or consulate.
Old Apr 12th 2016, 4:34 pm
Just Joined

Where do you find the info on where to send it fees forms etc. I still have my old passport to send with application so they can see I had one is just a name change and new passport
Old Apr 12th 2016, 4:37 pm

Where do you find the info on where to send it fees forms etc. ....
Go through the link I sent you in #4 above. It is specific for applications from outside the UK and takes you step by step through the process, including the mailing address and fees.

Unfortunately old passports were easy to counterfeit, so they can't just issue a new one based on the old one. Changing your name to your married name is an additional complication, which they will need to review and verify before your passport can be issued.
Old Apr 12th 2016, 8:18 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports

Expired that long, you're looking at applying as if the passport was your first passport.

So it might take a smidge longer than the 2-3 weeks that it takes for a regular renewal.
Old Apr 12th 2016, 9:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

i don't have a US passport i have an expired UK passport as im not a USA citizen just a permanent resident, i need to know how to renew/replace UK passport here in the USA
I'd go for US citizenship too and get your US passport.
Old Apr 12th 2016, 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
I'd go for US citizenship too and get your US passport.
To the OP, if you get US citizenship you MUST use a US passport when entering or leaving the US, so this may be an additional cost consideration. On the other hand you would save the ten-yearly cost of renewing your green card.
Old Apr 12th 2016, 9:56 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Pulaski has given you the correct link to renew your passport. You'll need to include your marriage certificate and an official letter or document from the government or your employer in your married name dated within the last year if you wish to your passport to be issued in your married name.
Old Apr 13th 2016, 1:02 am
Just Joined

A letter from my employer stating what?
Old Apr 13th 2016, 1:08 am

A letter from my employer stating what?
"... in your married name ...."

Something to show that you are using your married name in your dealings with your employer or the government. Based on what BiP said, it looks like one of your pay vouchers, or a letter from the IRS or Social Security Administration would be suitable.

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 13th 2016 at 1:11 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.