Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Passport Delays

Passport Delays

Old Jun 23rd 2011, 7:05 pm
staying around

candy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Passport Delays

Originally Posted by gbr2usa
Wow...you are not so nice! I did not know they had changed their processing procedures..................and like I said before, I renewed with no problems and when I looked on the web it still stated 4 weeks. You do not have all of my facts and know nothing about my situation, so I suggest you keep these kinds of remarks to yourself..................this blog is to offer helpful suggestions, etc. not to have a go at someone and poke fun of a situation you know nothing about.........................JEEZ!!!!!

Jeez I thought I was giving a helpful suggestion don't let your passport expire for over 12 months...... If you look back to the beginning of this thread you will see they have had problems before with issuing passports in a timely manner..
this is an open forum I am entitled to my opinion if you don't like it that is not my problem....
I have yet to see where I was poking fun I was just giving opinion.... might not of been what you wanted to hear..
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 7:14 pm
staying around

candy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I have had to urgently travel back to the UK 4 times in the last 2 years because of my parent's and in-laws deaths. I dread to think what would have happened if I only had one PP and it had been bogged down in DC.

If you had an emergency it would not really matter if it was 4 weeks or 4 months processing as you would need to travel within days if not hours. so there is no way if you sent your passport off you would get it back within a few days so you would have to go with an EDT.
I think an emergency is completly different than booking a vacation when you know you have an expired passport and then expecting a goverment agency to act in a timely manner..
It even says on the web site do not bookk tickets till you have passport in hand pretty good advice I think..

to all who do not agree with this statement this is just my opinion...
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 7:33 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by candy wy.
Jeez I thought I was giving a helpful suggestion don't let your passport expire for over 12 months......
I have to agree. We are expats living a long way from home and our passport is the only lifeline we have if we need to get back like yesterday. In the circumstance we are in, it is probably the most important document we have, and I would no more dream of letting it expire than I would my driving license.

For the same reason I find it even more inexcusable for the delays in Washington, than I would for similar delays in the UK. All parties bear a responsibility for the situation some find themselves in.
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 8:19 pm
Just Joined

jagruti6 is an unknown quantity at this point

How long did you have to wait?
My app was a expired renewal with a name change to my married name. Also I did not put down a date of travel on the form, because it was so far out.
I sent it off on the 23rd of March
Payment was taken on the 19th of April.
My passport arrived 9 weeks after the payment was taken.
I made two calls to the Careline for status checks and to nudge them along. 1st call was on June 17th, during this call it was flagged and escalated.
The 2nd call was June 21st to follow up since they hadn't called back.
(After checking the tracking number I now know, that it had been ready to go since the 20th and was waiting for UPS pick up. You'd think that the careline would at least be able to see when its completed and a tracking number is produced. But the person I spoke to on the 21st evidently did not have this info as I was told it would take until at least the 5th of July)

Interestingly it came UPS next day air The sender on the label is listed as Green Team and there is a phone number (which I won't post ) then the 19 Observatory circle address. I don't know if that means anything at all, just thought green team was interesting.
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 11:29 pm
Just Joined

matbow is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all, been reading this thread daily for over a month now so I thought I would register to let people know my timeline for passport renewal:

April 14 - Received in DC.
May 23 - CC Charged.
June 15 - Call to Careline, advised to call back "next week" when I will be able to escalate as it will be >4weeks from payment.
June 22 - 2nd call to Careline, was told passport in printing/QA stage and was provided with the UPS tracking number (which was showing on the UPS site as not yet picked up).
June 23 - UPS site shows delivery by 10.30am June 24th. Success!

So, that's 10 weeks exactly between them receiving it and shipping it out to me.

Similarly to what jagruti6 said in the post before mine, the UPS tracking label was created June 16th, yet it wasn't at the "Picked Up" stage until June 23rd. It looks like they assign a tracking number before they've actually finished printing the passport.

Also, if people are getting stuck on hold with careline; try calling around 6pm EST - I got through straight away both times.
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 11:50 pm
Forum Regular

pTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of light

So that why my passport is taking so long, all those people calling Careline to jump the queue.

The I&PS now has 14 days to have my renewed passport on my doorstep before the travel date that I indicated on the application.

Last edited by pTeronaut; Jun 23rd 2011 at 11:55 pm.
Old Jun 24th 2011, 2:22 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Saiph
I have a unique situation, in that I'm a Canadian living in the U.S. I applied for my first British passport (I also hold British citizenship) with the Washington processing centre and had to send in my Canadian passport because I'm currently residing in a country other than that in which my passport was issued. I gave myself 11 weeks before I needed my Canadian passport back in order to travel overseas, as the website advised to allow at least six weeks for first-time applications and I felt that was a safe margin (I have to travel often for work and it is difficult to find a stretch of time longer than that in which I know I will not need to travel). My application was received May 16 and payment taken June 20. Careline told me it would be six weeks from the date payment was taken - although they also said my application has still not even been assigned to an examiner. I realize of course that I will not receive my new British passport - or my current Canadian passport - back in time.

My question is this: Is it possible for the processing centre to verify my Canadian passport and send it back to me sooner? I'm in no rush for the British passport and am happy to wait for as long as it takes to process it, but it seems unreasonable that they can hold my Canadian passport for two to three times longer than they stated when I sent in my application. Is this something about which I should approach the Canadian Consulate? Any advice you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

You should not have sent in your Canadian passport. It is NOT required.
http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-...pics/documents

You should assume it will not be returned on time and start talking to the Canadian consulate to see if they can give you an emergency passport to cover your immediate travel plans. Do you have a US green card or other document to get back into the United States?

I don't know why the passport forms persist in suggesting that people should send in foreign passports when this is really not required. But it is going to be embarrassing for the Foreign Office when the US State Department and Canadian Foreign Affairs Ministry start asking them about people's US and Canadian passports "lost" in the processing mess at the British Embassy.
Old Jun 24th 2011, 4:31 am
Just Joined

Will-yates is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All.

A good news story. After pretty much giving up hope on getting my passport renewal, applied for back in April, in time for my family's flights to London tomorrow [Friday], it miraculously arrived this morning via UPS!

Sent - April 12th
CC Charged - May 20th
Call to careline #1 - June 9th (Helpful: wait and see; if not call in a week)
Call to careline #2 - June 16th (Unhelpful: said it's in process; any day now.)
Call to careline #3 - June 21st (Helpful: Told that the passport now at the data entry stage: still have printing, signing and quality assessing and shipping to go. Though sent through Escalation to DC)
Call to careline #4 - June 23rd 8:30am (Unhelpful: I tried to give the woman cc details but her system froze and she said to try back later.)

At work an hour later I tried calling the careline again and misdialled, so I tried a second time when my wife buzzed in. She was barely able to speak, she was so excited. Simply miraculous. PRAISE GOD!

I feel for all others who share their stories on here and pray there'd be a fast resolution.
Old Jun 24th 2011, 5:18 am
Just Joined

Simosa88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Will-yates
Hi All.

A good news story. After pretty much giving up hope on getting my passport renewal, applied for back in April, in time for my family's flights to London tomorrow [Friday], it miraculously arrived this morning via UPS!

Sent - April 12th
CC Charged - May 20th
Call to careline #1 - June 9th (Helpful: wait and see; if not call in a week)
Call to careline #2 - June 16th (Unhelpful: said it's in process; any day now.)
Call to careline #3 - June 21st (Helpful: Told that the passport now at the data entry stage: still have printing, signing and quality assessing and shipping to go. Though sent through Escalation to DC)
Call to careline #4 - June 23rd 8:30am (Unhelpful: I tried to give the woman cc details but her system froze and she said to try back later.)

At work an hour later I tried calling the careline again and misdialled, so I tried a second time when my wife buzzed in. She was barely able to speak, she was so excited. Simply miraculous. PRAISE GOD!

I feel for all others who share their stories on here and pray there'd be a fast resolution.
amazing. congratulations, no such luck on my end unfortunately. Need passport for 30th June.

5th May - cc charged
15th June - careline say my passport app is not in the electronic system. Say they will contact Washington and get them to call back.
No call back.
23rd June - another call to careline. Passport app still not in the system. Guy says he will e-mail washington again.

This is stupid.

called careline
Old Jun 24th 2011, 5:51 am
Forum Regular

mshedden is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Simosa88
amazing. congratulations, no such luck on my end unfortunately. Need passport for 30th June.

5th May - cc charged
15th June - careline say my passport app is not in the electronic system. Say they will contact Washington and get them to call back.
No call back.
23rd June - another call to careline. Passport app still not in the system. Guy says he will e-mail washington again.

This is stupid.

called careline
Get consulate appt for $157 ETD (if you qualify), otherwise you are probably stuffed. No call back from DC is standard operating procedure so don't be fooled into thinking it will happen, we were promised several call backs by Careline, got none, even after being escalated to so called 'red alert'. They will happily go past your fly date without batting an eyelid. You HAVE to act, or its just not happening. Call the consulate ASAP for an appt!! You have to go in person, you need 2 photos, plus ID (green card etc) - they should tell you what to bring.

My Wife's 'processing started' date was April 15, so you can see where you are. Her fly date was 6/20, she made it with the ETD, otherwise it would not have happened.

Last edited by mshedden; Jun 24th 2011 at 5:54 am.
Old Jun 24th 2011, 6:08 am

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

We are now at 10 weeks since cc charge and 13 since they received my husbands passport. I do not want to waste money calling Careline although I'm thinking we might have to. This is really unbelievable!
Old Jun 24th 2011, 7:41 am
Country Member

Location: Moved from Georgetown to Round Rock, Texas. 15 miles closer to civilization.
g1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond repute

Wow...you are not so nice! I did not know they had changed their processing procedures..................and like I said before, I renewed with no problems and when I looked on the web it still stated 4 weeks. You do not have all of my facts and know nothing about my situation, so I suggest you keep these kinds of remarks to yourself..................this blog is to offer helpful suggestions, etc. not to have a go at someone and poke fun of a situation you know nothing about.........................JEEZ!!!!!
You have parents in the UK who are so elderly that they can't travel, but you let your passport (your only travel document that you have if you need to return to the UK in an emergency) run out a year ago??? JEEZ!!!!!!!
Old Jun 24th 2011, 7:42 am
Country Member

Location: Moved from Georgetown to Round Rock, Texas. 15 miles closer to civilization.
g1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by g1ant
You have parents in the UK who are so elderly that they can't travel, but you let your passport (your only travel document that you have if you need to return to the UK in an emergency) run out a year ago??? JEEZ!!!!!!!
That said, the current passport debacle is nothing short of a scandal and I hope your passport arrives in time for your trip.
Old Jun 24th 2011, 12:30 pm
Just Joined

gbr2usa is just really nicegbr2usa is just really nicegbr2usa is just really nicegbr2usa is just really nicegbr2usa is just really nicegbr2usa is just really nicegbr2usa is just really nicegbr2usa is just really nicegbr2usa is just really nicegbr2usa is just really nicegbr2usa is just really nice

Originally Posted by g1ant
OK, OK.......I have had a child with some health issues that has taken priority over everything................dealing with this and adopting another child, the passport issue was the last thing on my mind...........plus, when I had to renew before it was less that 4 weeks......................last year was a VERY difficult time for my family and I..............did not even think that we would get to travel this year for this long awaited trip..................
Old Jun 24th 2011, 2:02 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Passport Delays

Originally Posted by aml1982

If you have someone who uses their passport on a regular basis because they have to travel internationally for business or something, then that person should be looked at a bit quicker than someone who only uses their passport for a vacation once every three years.
Yes but many British citizens who travel frequently overseas for their jobs often have two British passports. My next-door neighbour did in Singapore as he had to travel extensively in SE Asia and his passport was often needed at different Embassies and High Commissions for new visa stamps, whilst he had to travel for business meetings elsewhere.

It's also common for Brits (and other nationals) to have two passports if they have been to Israel but have to travel to some Arabic countries.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.