Reload this Page >

Passport Delays

Passport Delays

Old May 13th 2011, 2:41 am
Just Joined

ChaddyOwl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Passport Delays

It was a renewal.

I didn't put a travel date on my original application, as I didn't have any travel plans at that time, but also didn't expect it to take as long as it finally did.
I typically travel quite often (my passport was only 7 years old, and I was forced to renew because I'd filled it), and my boss was putting me under a lot of pressure to make a trip. When I did get the chance to have the Careline escalate to the Passport Office, I let them know that I was expecting to travel this coming Sunday (15-May).

I think this is what you have to do. You have to put pressure on the Careline to escalate. They may not do this until the 4 weeks have elapsed, but you should try. And when you escalate, make sure that you give them a travel date.
In reading this forum, there seem to be a lot of people that get their passports just a day or so before they were due to travel, so I get the impression that the Passport Office is trying to honour that as much as possible. You just have to keep reinforcing it.

Anyway, good luck everyone!
Old May 13th 2011, 4:30 am
Just Joined

Harmerma is an unknown quantity at this point

Applied to renew passport and they got my package Feb 23 2011.

May 13 Nothing. Two calls to the helpline, two letters to the "manager", finally got to speak to a person in Washington but she could not connect me to anybody. I actually asked if the passport office existed, she said yes. I asked had she ever seen anyone coming or going, no comment. She said call the helpline, I said, I have, it cost me $25 and no one calls back. I said what should I do, she said, yes "call the helpine." I did get to speak to "John" in the office but he said "sorry, I have to leave due to a fire drill." I asked the switchboard operator for her name (she was not helpful) since if I EVER spoke to anyone I could at least tell them who told me that I could NOT speak to anyone. Her name is "switchboard operator." Jeremy Clarckson from TOP GEAR would love this.

AM I insane, I feel as though I am......., Mark
Old May 13th 2011, 10:24 am
Just Joined

WeeOne is an unknown quantity at this point

Careline "escalated" last thurs may 5th because our travel plans are tomorrow May 14th. I hVe heard nothing at all, flight no was sent and everything, careline have no idea why this is and sent again yesterday may 12th which is useless to me now as i have to cancel our family vacation :'( and the cost to reschedule is at least $1200.
if anyone has any addresses and names available that i can write to, i would appreciate it tremendously.
Old May 13th 2011, 1:31 pm
Just Joined

ChaddyOwl is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by WeeOne
Careline "escalated" last thurs may 5th because our travel plans are tomorrow May 14th. I hVe heard nothing at all, flight no was sent and everything, careline have no idea why this is and sent again yesterday may 12th which is useless to me now as i have to cancel our family vacation :'( and the cost to reschedule is at least $1200.
if anyone has any addresses and names available that i can write to, i would appreciate it tremendously.
There were some addresses listed in this sticky thread
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=654357

And after a particularly frustrating call to the "Careline" on one occaison, I sent an e-mail to the address that is posted (mainly just because I needed to vent.
Their automated e-mail reply contained the following details:

"The Foreign & Commonwealth Office remains the passport issuing authority, which will actually process your passport application overseas. Any complaints with regard to the overall passport service provided by the Foreign & Commonwealth Office Consular offices should be directed to the FCO Consular Inbox: [email protected] Please do not send any passport, consular assistance, nationality or citizenship specific enquiries to this email address. If you require passport information, you must call the Passport Information Helpline using the numbers below. Any customers requesting passport information or seeking an update on the status of their passport application will be directed to the Careline numbers listed below. Only e-mails about general service can be responded to, not specific enquiries"
Old May 16th 2011, 4:55 pm
Just Joined

stixng has a spectacular aura aboutstixng has a spectacular aura aboutstixng has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by stixng
CARELINE update

So I tried calling Careline again and this time I got to speak to someone right away! The person I spoke to was very professional and could see that it had been 8 weeks since my credit card had been charged (Mar 16). He said that ordinarily it should take 6 weeks for a new passport so was going to get in contact with one of the passport examiners in Washington who would call me later this week to let me know when to expect the passport. Let's wait and see!
So I never did get a call back but I think it may have got their attention as we received the passport today! finally!! (13 weeks from the time I mailed it!)
Old May 16th 2011, 8:10 pm
Just Joined

I am raging! UPS tried to deliver my passport today! 2 days after our flights left!! I never heard from anyone in Washington when it was escalated May 5th, but I can see from the tracking info that it was picked up around 3pm on May 11th in DC...they KNOW it takes 3 days...it was out for delivery at 7.30 this morning...no use to me as i was forced to cancel our flights! I feel like crying right now....just throw some more salt on the wound why don't you.
I am going to complain to every contact I have. We should not be responsible for the penalty the airline has imposed. Careline's computers said "in processing" as of Thursday May 12th but it was shipped on Wed May 11th.
Old May 16th 2011, 8:47 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

We should not be responsible for the penalty the airline has imposed.
I'm sorry that you and the others have had vacation plans ruined. Respectfully, you should not have purchased tickets in advance of having your passport in your hands.

Ian
Old May 16th 2011, 9:00 pm
Just Joined

When I purchased tickets, I had a passport valid until Oct 2011. I was told by several sources (more than one in the travel industry) that it must be valid for 6 months after the return date, when I was told this I sent my application for renewal with plenty of time for it to be processed and with proof of travel.
I have only recently found out that my passport would have been fine travelling into the US as long as it was valid for the duration of my stay.
The communication from Washington is dreadful, and although they made a point of having it shipped before the 14th which was our travel date, it is too little too late.
Old May 16th 2011, 9:55 pm
Country Member

Location: Moved from Georgetown to Round Rock, Texas. 15 miles closer to civilization.
g1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond repute

I have only recently found out that my passport would have been fine travelling into the US as long as it was valid for the duration of my stay.
Don't you live here?

(reading through your posts, it looks like you live in Canada and were planning a holiday in the USA - correct?)

Last edited by g1ant; May 16th 2011 at 9:59 pm.
Old May 16th 2011, 9:58 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by g1ant
Don't you live here?
In Canada...Its the same process here for the renewal as it is in the US. There are different rules for British Passport holders coming into the US than there are for Canadians.
Old May 17th 2011, 3:10 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

In Canada...Its the same process here for the renewal as it is in the US. There are different rules for British Passport holders coming into the US than there are for Canadians.
You can still use a British passport with less than 6 months remaining.
Old May 17th 2011, 2:53 pm
Just Joined

Peony is an unknown quantity at this point

HI everyone, I'm new here and I found you because I guess I'm in trouble. I sent my daughter's UK passport to Washington for renewal on 21st March (her 5 year baby passport expired), they charged my card on 18th April, called them today and the Careline said it's still a couple of weeks off. We're supposed to be traveling next Wednesday 25th. Is there anything I can do? So much for a 4 -week lead time!
Old May 17th 2011, 4:41 pm
Daft.. not Stoopid

lyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud of
Angry Re: Passport Delays

Hi. New here but really depressing that ex pats are being treated to third world service from first world country. Sent renewal 12th april and as of 1133cdt on 17th may, no charge on credit card. Based on that I cannot get answer as to where or when. Wrote to number 10 last night out of frustration...know it will get deleted or something but .. hey I got to vent.. tried e mailing complaint to FCO as it says on website but mailer daemon sent it back as undeliverable.... wonder why???. Was going back to UK at the beginning of July to see sick brother but guess thats not happening. Think the thing to do is get dual citizenship with at least 3 years difference between expiry date on passports. Do you think that would be enough time??
Old May 17th 2011, 4:50 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lyonsden1193
Hi. New here but really depressing that ex pats are being treated to third world service from first world country. Sent renewal 12th april and as of 1133cdt on 17th may, no charge on credit card. Based on that I cannot get answer as to where or when. Wrote to number 10 last night out of frustration...know it will get deleted or something but .. hey I got to vent.. tried e mailing complaint to FCO as it says on website but mailer daemon sent it back as undeliverable.... wonder why???. Was going back to UK at the beginning of July to see sick brother but guess thats not happening. Think the thing to do is get dual citizenship with at least 3 years difference between expiry date on passports. Do you think that would be enough time??
Emergency Passport is an option if you're visiting sick relatives...info in the sticked Read Me at the top of the USA forum.
Old May 17th 2011, 6:10 pm
Daft.. not Stoopid

lyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud of

Been shopping around this site at the threads, and what appears to show up is that the UK Govt sub contracted out a very important function. As usual when you sub out to (what was probably the lowest bidder) I guess we get what they pay for. Trying not to use Bob's option for emergency travel as I also have a 90yr old father who may pop off at any time (this was the man who said he would not live past 55!) hey just thought ... he's that good at delaying things perhaps he was a civil servant in a previous life!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.